Headgear S/S 07

imo, rachel roy doesnt look bad at all.

she gives it a really polished, more mature vibe than what we have seen
plus i think her features and looks fit in perfectly

When wearing a turban, do you reccomend putting your hair up, or leaving it down? Straight or curly? I really want to give this look a try!

InnocentFairy said:
^^ Oh God...now, that is a mess!
I agree! the turban just doesn't go with that outfit. Rachel Roy and that outfit were on Vogues 10 best dressed list of the week on style.com. She was 4th. Why??:ninja:

i'm not crazy about the outfit as a whole, mostly because i'm sick to death of seeing rachel roy in the same damn look but i think from the neck up (well actually the waist up) she looks ABSOLUTELY adorable. she has the perfect features to rock a turban, plus her hair and makeup are flawless. vanessa traina lookwed awful, IMO. i loved her dress and turban but she herself just can't pull that off. maybe it just looks stupid on white girls.

i take that back... Urd- you look amazing, i love those prints and in that color it works so well against your hair color and complexion!

Rachel Roy's outfit...what is that about? Seriously. Wayyyy too dated. This is what I mean about the turban coming off as "trying to hard". Her outfit is seriously ridiculous...total clash of themes and trends. :shock:

Xmodel, those pics are BEAUTIFUL...that's how you rock a turban. Love it! :P

DuTTyRoCK112 said:
i'm not crazy about the outfit as a whole, mostly because i'm sick to death of seeing rachel roy in the same damn look but i think from the neck up (well actually the waist up) she looks ABSOLUTELY adorable. she has the perfect features to rock a turban, plus her hair and makeup are flawless. vanessa traina lookwed awful, IMO. i loved her dress and turban but she herself just can't pull that off. maybe it just looks stupid on white girls.

I don't think the colour of one's skin is anything to do about 'pulling off' a trend.

nytimes

March 29, 2007
Front Row
Somehow It Feels Old Hat

By ERIC WILSON

THERE are reasons to raise a skeptical brow when a group as disparate as Miuccia Prada, Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, Marc Jacobs and Madonna attempt to bring turbans of the Old Hollywood variety back into fashion.

Turbans may be an appropriate visual accent in fashion’s current fixation with early 20th-century revivals, along with the cloche styles favored by Paul Poiret, who is getting the curatorial treatment at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in May. But since Ms. Prada made the most conspicuous use of turbans, showing glamorous jewel-tone versions in her spring collection, fashion people have been wondering whether an accessory that fell out of favor in Western fashion after World War II could enjoy a renaissance.

If they wear Ms. Prada’s pricey turbans, or the inexpensive Madonna versions at H & M, will they be seen as modern-day Lana Turners luring their postmen? Or as ding-dongs.

This week, The Daily, a gossipy fashion site, took stock of those who have turned up at recent events in the Prada looks, including the designer Rachel Roy, the socialite Vanessa Traina and the turbanista Mary-Kate Olsen, who strangely wore one atop her long white tresses and ended up looking more like Axl Rose. Vogue Hommes did not help matters by hilariously showing Ms. Prada’s turbans on a man.

The Fashion Institute of Technology is now showing an exhibition of the styles of the milliner Lilly Daché, including a darling navy and pale green striped straw turban from the late ’30s, when fashion hats were the norm. Nadine Leichter, an adjunct instructor, said it was unlikely that the new styles would regain that kind of popularity, for the simple reason that the manufacturing capability of a designer like Ms. Daché no longer exists.

“The turban is so mysterious, but it has such a stigma of the old lady not coming out of her housedress all day,” Ms. Leichter said.

On the other hand, the style — fluid and lightweight — works well with the loose, voluminous clothing of the moment.

“Hats always reflect what is happening in fashion,” she said, as wishful as a turban-clad genie. “But it does have to overcome the old-fashioned point of view.”

29front190.jpg

François Guillot/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
A turban by Miuccia Prada.

29front450.jpg

Irving Solero
One from the late ’30s by Lilly Daché.

055_4028%7EPleated-Turban-and-Pearls-Posters.jpg

(allposters.com)
I have that picture on my wall, and always wish I could look that chic in a turban!

i take back my comment on white girls not being able to pull of the turban. however, i WILL say that it looks best on exotic looking girls. vanessa traina is not exotic looking, she is very plain looking and that is why the turban doesn't look chic on her. it's a very mysterious glamour to play with, so the wearer should embody that aura. i don't want to see every "fashion fan" wearing the turban because i don't think it should be trendy, it should be a cool staple sort of thing that makes sense on certain characters.

DuTTyRoCK112 said:
i take back my comment on white girls not being able to pull of the turban. however, i WILL say that it looks best on exotic looking girls. vanessa traina is not exotic looking, she is very plain looking and that is why the turban doesn't look chic on her. it's a very mysterious glamour to play with, so the wearer should embody that aura. i don't want to see every "fashion fan" wearing the turban because i don't think it should be trendy, it should be a cool staple sort of thing that makes sense on certain characters.

I see what you are saying...

BUT...

I saw this girl in H&M in Kensington recently...she was tall, white, very pale, strawberry blonde hair - wearing a turban and she looked AMAZING! In fact, the only girl I have seen so far who can carry the turban off in such a chic way!

Thanks. :blush: Looooooooooove yours too. :D
What was that girl wearing with her turban? What color was it?

i think the best version and potentiallly picked up by main stream are the turbans which are like the ones rosie riveter had, they are like head band but with that knot and they look cute....

Tiffany7 said:
Thanks. :blush: Looooooooooove yours too. :D
What was that girl wearing with her turban? What color was it?

I wish I had got a photo...

This girl looked incredible - a little 'out there', but even so...

She had a cream turban with flecks of gold on pleating/rim of the turban, with a beige 60s shift dress but with a flapper look as it had drop waist with pleats, a cream and dark cream faux fur with a black leopard print effect jacket, light 'oat' beige over-the-knee socks (a bit like the Prada ones) ones, patent black heels - and somehow (even though it might sound wrong to some) it actually worked and really well! You could see people looking in admiration.

Some I †hink look great....some quite the opposite, alot of the big 'tall' ones in satin just remind me of the coneheads. I like the more subtle turbanesque headbands, I think they're far more wearable for through the day, rather than as that article says 'feeling like one of the people who keep their sunglasses on in a nightclub'. I think the derek lam ones are really quite chic, they remind me more of african-tribal head gear than a 'turban'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brky1907
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->