Hedi Slimane - Designer

Both looks look really Dior Homme by Hedi. Idc if he repeats what he did at Dior Homme, I just wanna see the collections already!

Oh, both those shots are perfection! Very reminiscent of his work at Dior Homme. Is that Yulia K?

Confirmation of the obvious, he won't be much receptive in terms of imagery, esp with the men's line; women's is quite an eyeful though.

Very exceptional images you have there, did he use the F/W 12.13 pieces for the models clothes as well by Stefano?

It's by no means a fortunate move to issue eyewear-imagery before even showing a single piece of clothing to the public. In my opinion, those images destroy the tension that presently surrounds the re-positioning of the brand. You want to get an air of mystique around the new brand image to heat up the excitement for Hedi's debut show, not an obvious showcase of licensed merchandise at this very earliest point of Hedi's installment as the new artistic director of the house!

Seeing Richard Avedon's almost 13 year old Dior Homme debut campaign to still appear more modern next to these pictures makes the new Saint Laurent appear a like a heated up, old dish. What a disappointment!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's by no means a fortunate move to issue eyewear-imagery before even showing a single piece of clothing to the public. In my opinion, those images destroy the tension that presently surrounds the re-positioning of the brand. You want to get an air of mystique around the new brand image to heat up the excitement for Hedi's debut show, not an obvious showcase of licensed merchandise at this very earliest point of Hedi's installment as the new artistic director of the house!

Seeing Richard Avedon's almost 13 year old Dior Homme debut campaign to still appear more modern next to these pictures makes the new Saint Laurent appear a like a heated up, old dish. What a disappointment!

Well Said!:flower:

A2b9KUwCEAE4FBi.jpg:large

ysl twitter

i almost believed, or hoped, that he would evolve from his now stale aesthetic for his job at ysl, but these images prove me wrong. this could be dior homme under hedi. i don't like it, it's nothing new or exciting or something i would necessarily associate with the brand's heritage.

I'm not getting my panties in a bunch until I see Hedi's full collection before crying wolf. And even if it's more or less a continuation of the Dior Homme aesthetic, I'm going to be inspecting the garments up close and personal before writing him off. I don't care much for hype, styling or slick branding-- all of which Hedi and his work for YSL will surely carry in spades. But when all that crap is scrapped away, the man is a razor-sharp tailor and knows how to make a garment love the body. If nothing else and he only returns to the kind of immaculate cutting he devoted to the YSL menswear in the early 2000s, that would be more than welcome for me.

Not impressed with the visuals, it looks like a carbon copy of his work at Dior Homme, I dont have good a feeling about this but I will withold judgement till his collection is out.

Here's a quote from an interview with him from a bit back:

When he does return to fashion his aesthetic is unlikely to have changed much. "I'm always suspicious of people who change too many times," he says. I've always been very repetitive. Which was a problem, because with seasons people always want, 'OK, what's new?' But the truth is, nothing is new."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/mar/21/hedi-slimane-designer-photographer

so yeah, anyone expecting anything drastically different from what he's done in the past will ultimately be disappointed.

i have no problem with that though, he spent years perfecting and defining his aesthetic, i don't see why he should just abandon it because everybody else has been copying him

i don't see people telling yohji or ann d to reinvent themselves

"SAINT LAURENT VERMEIL"- A CLASSIC AND MODERNIST UNISEX COLLECTION OF SILVER AND GOLD JEWELRY DESIGNED BY HEDI SLIMANE

@ysl

Very disappointing collection but I am not surprised. He did say that he wasn't going to do anything new in one of his interviews ( I was hopping he was lying and wanted to surprise us). This is basically Dior Homme for women (if that makes sense). I respect what Heidi did in revolutionising men's wear in the late 90's but it is all dated now. Putting those same clothes on women 10+ years later would not shock anyone.

I am glad this will not have the "Yves" in front of it. While the obvious references are there, I feel he could have done a lot more to transform them. There is definitely a lot of sex appeal and youthfulness (I can see Hollywood written all over it), but I cannot say these clothes are elegant or new in any way (YSL has officially lost its Parisian flair). Funny enough, it feels very Tom Ford for YSL (albeit less vulgar) and also very Cavalli (I don't like the cliché of referencing/comparing designers but I can't help it). Its more annoying because of all the changes he made and the fact that he had all the time in the world to come up with something that would live up to the hype. That's exactly what this is fuelled with, Hype! All the major reviews will be positive but I suggest everyone watches ShowStudio's commentary on this collection. A group of unbiased industry professionals giving their opinion. I am glad majority of them echoed my thoughts. (Although I do have to say those tuxedo's and some of the dresses in the end looked really good)

the house should have stayed immaculately silent and threw everything at us all at once, with the re-branding, the whole 'new concept' for the brand.

I feel Hedi was possibly looking at all of the 70's icons/bad girls such as Anita, Marianne & Britt, which in retrospect is quite fascinating, but the execution was not.

I still don't understand why they replaced Stefano when he was doing a pretty stellar job at Saint Laurent, in my opinion anyway, his collections were successful in sales and editorially.

I have to say I am pretty let down by his womenswear debut, he should of stuck to designing menswear.

Great points
*horrible re-branding
*bad execution
*Stefano is a much better designer , but the fact is the collection was not selling as well as the shareholders were expecting
they thought they had to water down
so they watered down with an over estimated hyped 'designer'

*if i was Stefano Pilati i would be buying people drinks tonight

It's true that it's the PR machine that will make both Dior and YSL sell...even though I look up to both, for me, these two highly regarded fashion gods have provided quite the amusement this fashion week.:lol:

#fact, two fails in one week, it was fun #not

*thank you all people for those great posts
it's the perfect insight for an article i'm preparing right now

The problem now is that YSL (Saint Laurent) will just be one of these over hyped brands with a star designer that wouldn't be special any more.

i really believe that regardless the short term profits, this is eventually the begining of the end for the YSL brand

I agree. I think Pilati remains the best designer this house has seen since Yves himself. But, yes, I'm looking forward very much to see what he'll be doing for Zegna.

I'm thinking Saint Laurent will probably end up like Dior in the latter years of Galliano's tenure there: profitable irrelevance. This show is as satisfying as a cheeseburger at McDonald's.

I'd throw a little current-Valentino there. Great PR work that makes those boring, irrelevant dresses appear in every event / red carpet / editorial but leaves you with absolutely nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudaZuza2005
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->