Hedi Slimane - Designer

It’s quite interesting that all those discussions are rumors and news are still happening while officially, the man is still the Creative Director of the brand, social media content is uploaded, news about the launch of expanded fragrances related products are out, SAs and Store managers are talking…

I’m curious to know then when LVMH is going to release the news of his departure…. if he leaves Celine and if the news wouldn’t be about a reconsideration of his role at the company.
Seeing how far ahead Hedi seems to work, I imagine that they probably have a backlog of 3 to 5 seasons. If he leaves now, I imagine that the brand could work on autopilot until 2026.
You might be on to something here. He’s too entangled with the brand. With him probably done up to SS25 and its collaterals LVMH might not want a repeat of what happened after his Saint Laurent exit. Lawsuits and all. Celine is basically the Hedi Slimane brand people are asking for in all but name. To the point that I won’t be surprised if they’ll retain him but announce a new “creative organization”.
Maybe they hired the guy from RL/Old Celine to operate as a head designer while Hedi remains as a CD. I can’t possibly think that he will touch royalties on fragrances without being tied with the brand.

And while we have had many reports of him leaving, I don’t believe that someone like Hedi would let a social media manager just post on IG without validating it before.

So he may still be involved with the brand.
A CK-style organisation with Hedi as "Chief Creative Officer" and Rider as "Creative Director" could work at Celine. The brand is big enough and RL's WASP style is similar enough meld into Hedi's aesthetic.

Polo RL Spring 2024 seems to be the only RTW collection credited to Michael Rider BTW. It's literally called "Spring 2024 Ready to Wear Collection by Michael Rider". These almost feel opposite of Hedi's style, but it's also hard to fully judge his abilities because it's premium mass-market like a J Crew.

View attachment 1285038 View attachment 1285039 View attachment 1285043 View attachment 1285044
like i said before just like how he (michael) dresses : draped, loose, big , layering , a wasp lemaire nomad meets celine phoebe styling tricks ..... i fear no strong point of view /or directional..

like i said before just like how he (michael) dresses : draped, loose, big , layering , a wasp lemaire nomad meets celine phoebe styling tricks ..... i fear no strong point of view /or directional..
The Philophiles will live for it though.

The Philophiles will live for it though.
Maybe of course we never seen something fully under his creative direction yet besides the RL shoot but my feeling is not hopeful i find the RL he did not fresh but sloppy and like a blob ...i see attempt to freshen up the RL idea but there is no story or conviction in the end result ....then hsi way of dressing reflects that because you can see he put effort in it as he has many version of his style on his tagged pics ..

Philophiles land is a oversaturated market, brands and stylist and ig influencers included ....at this point Philo is back so one is enough for me

I don't think we need another Phoebe Philo alumni at another brand after this. I get it for Celine but I almost every other appointment is someone who worked at Celine or Chloe. We need different perspectives

Veronique Branquinho would be cool...for Celine :lucky: I can wish !!!

I had this thought also a few days back and agree. Her label relaunched at a weird time besides the fact that it was a run under a license with GIBO (who also produced Hussein Chalayan and Viktor & Rolf for a considerable amount of time on similar terms), but I thought it was generally nice, although clearly reading that it was created under commercial constraints. Nonetheless, what she created there could to a large part fit in the established Celine brand image - Tailoring separates with an easy 70ies french chic, more on the timeless side than providing very edgy, fashion-forward propositions. The fact that she worked for a time with Delvaux, another storied leather goods house, would add another befitting reason.

Apparently winter collection is already in stores: at least in Asia.

exactly that lookbook was boring as hell. again, granted it's Polo where I imagine there is not much creative freedom.

he should've stayed at Ralph Lauren! I hope he doesn't bring jodhpurs to CELINE. If he's bringing old Celine billowy drape-y tricks, we don't want it.

large_29890_3989116.jpglarge_40562_5714713.jpg

I'm not convinced by this guys personal style. Not that it's a dealbreaker but Phoebe Philo and Hedi Slimane have legions of people that want to dress just like them. Who knows though, maybe Old Money Americana meets Sesame Street Ernie and Bert could be a thing.

The guy comes from Celine under Philo and then went to Ralph Lauren. So that means that he is versatile enough to make that huge gap.
And are we going to forget that Celine by Hedi Slimane is very Ralph Lauren coded just because Hedi is a great creative director?

If we are judging designers solely by the way they dress, Azzedine Alaia would have never had the career he had.

The thing with working at Ralph is that designers there are typically very, very limited in what they can do (this is based on a few friends who have worked there over the years). Their personal design sensibility does not matter in the way it might have at other companies, since Ralph still has so much control over everything, which frustrates many people who work there, from my understanding. All of which is to say, I think it can be difficult to judge a designer's work from what they have done at RL, specifically.

Michael Rider was DESIGN DIRECTOR for Celine, which means he was Matthieu, Daniel and Peter's boss and more responsible for Phoebe Philo's Celine than probably she was (especially if you look at what she is doing now).

Don't look at his Polo and use that to gauge the breadth of his talent. Look at those old Celine collections.

He came to came to Celine after 4 years with Nicolas at Balenciaga. He is no chump.

People I know at RL all thought he was going to succeed Ralph and I think the upper management was grooming him for that. So, whatever made him change his mind must be BIG.

Also, I didn't think I would need to say this here, but predicting a designer's creative aptitude based on their personal style is highly erroneous.

Anyways, you can find more pictures of him if you follow the right people on Instagram. You guys are looking at him at RL corporate events, that's not how he actually dresses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy comes from Celine under Philo and then went to Ralph Lauren. So that means that he is versatile enough to make that huge gap.
And are we going to forget that Celine by Hedi Slimane is very Ralph Lauren coded just because Hedi is a great creative director?

If we are judging designers solely by the way they dress, Azzedine Alaia would have never had the career he had.
There are designers like Phoebe and Hedi and Alessandro and Ralph and Tom ford and Tom brown and Donatella Miuccia that dress as the world they design for , and you have people like Alaia and Margiela that are like tailors totally detached from what they make as scientist almost.

My point is looking at Michael Rider many ig pics from phoebe Celine era to now at RL he has a love for the this nomadic oversized style that clearly came handy under Phoebe Celine era to balance all the design with more nonchalance but you see with RL its falling flat , additionally he clearly puts effort in his dressing up and it's not cool to say it bluntly as a Phoebe does or even the row girls.

If he was always in a t shirt and jeans of course it would be harder to make any assumption based of his personal style i agree but i find in this case what he wears says alot of his point of view of taste and direction be it at a brand like Celine post Hedi or Phoebe.

Same as the new Moschino guy he is a clothes collector and his apartment and the way he dresses shows a lot in his show for moschino quirky Comme des Garcons meets every other fashion hero in his closet.

Like Ancora guy his ig shows his level in design and point of view of nothing to say but generic arty words.

there are indicators of a creative person that can give a preview of what more to come this case its his person style ..put him next to a Stefano Pilati with his personal style (pre radnom identities) you get the idea that one has more severity and rigor in his approach to design thane the other that is just mister blob.

Time will tell but my feeling for now is this mentioned above, and i don't have to be right of course it's all alleged not rooted in facts :-)

Details matter ! and Hedi is a beast in details, that saved his most commercial output from being totally tacky merch, RL paris vision or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honorata
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->