Hedi Slimane - Designer

Am I the only one sensing he might go to Dior ?
After all there are many rumors about Kim Jones and MGC leaving next January and March, and he could have "carte blanche" another time there ? He already knows how Delphine work and LVMH knows how he work.
The corporate at Chanel would never let Hedi have a say at their beauty or fragances campaigns.

After all there are many rumors about Kim Jones and MGC leaving next January and March, and he could have "carte blanche" another time there ? He already knows how Delphine work and LVMH knows how he work.
The corporate at Chanel would never let Hedi have a say at their beauty or fragances campaigns.
Not mad at that, if he could bring the same energy and eye he had early in his Dior Homme era. If there’s anyone who could bring Dior at par with Chanel it’s him.

Design-wise though it would be boring.

- CHANEL side businesses: CHANEL side businesses (makeup, skincare, fine jewelry, high jewelry, watches) are all managed differently by different teams. Karl had no voice in them and so did Virginie (of course...she could barely design ready to wear, imagine fine jewelry). There is no way a freak control like Hedi would let these side jigs running without putting his mouth and words into it. This means CHANEL would need to reposition / fire so many people, some of them just recently hired (just think of the three ladies group in charge of makeup replacing Lucia Pica).
Au contraire: At Chanel, the fashion is the side business. The Wertheimers are the family that made the perfumes from over a century back, which was the most profitable business ever to bear the name "Chanel." Chanel owns its own jasmine farms, and has its own chemistry labs in multiple countries. Fashion houses licenses fragrances from through major beauty companies (Puig, Shiseido, L'Oréal, Coty, etc.), who then commission them from major manufacturers (IFF , Robertet, Givaudan, Firmenich, Takasago, etc.). But Chanel is vertically integrated to develop and manufacture their products from the field to the bottle. At many houses, the perfumes must compliment the fashion; at Chanel, it is always the other way around.

Hedi to LV
NG to Chanel
Done
If Slimane had a falling out with one LVMH company, it's highly unlikely he's going to go straight to another one — though I would love to see him straighten out the embarrassingly crass Louis Vuitton fragrances, which all smell like fruity body sprays for tween girls.

Not mad at that, if he could bring the same energy and eye he had early in his Dior Homme era. If there’s anyone who could bring Dior at par with Chanel it’s him.

Again, another LVMH company. Since he's bolting from Celine under apparently less-than-amicable circumstances, this seems unlikely. And I don't think he'd be happy with that, either since there is one enduring legacy of his there — the La Collection Privée fragrance line — which began under Slimane at Dior Homme before being brought under the main house. In fact, Slimane's three original scents (Bois d'Argent, Cologne Blanche, Eau Noire) are still sold.

Last edited:

Maybe alongside Galliano at Dior for womenswear.
A complete Y2K revival.
But that's pushing way too far.

What makes anyone believe that Jacquemus would have what it takes to be a designer with a long term lasting potential for Chanel? 😅
Because Jacquemus would be the perfect "designer" for an heritage brand like CHANEL.
We know most people buy these brands just to flex the tag. It's that or either they are so filthy rich that CHANEL for them is the equivalent of Zara for a conventional person.
They have so many years of archives from both Karl and Coco, they could live by re-releasing every single collection already designed by one of them. What CHANEL really misses right now is a vibe, a story telling, a strong image, something to generate buzz and make it turn iconic and memorable. Jacquemus would be the perfect story teller, the brand does not need someone who can cut haute couture tweed jackets but someone who can turn those jackets into a status symbol.
This is why Karl was the best designer for CHANEL: he had the perfect balance of fashion forwardness, commercial conventional and he always delivered a story or message within his collections that made the clothes stood the test of time.
Do you even remember one single collection or memorable item from Virginie? NO! Because she was not only a very weak designer but also a very bland person incapable of telling a story through the clothes. Virginie was the woman that: "LA inspired collection? Yeah let's do an elevated version of Philipp Plein with gold laminated tracksuits"...yikes.

Omg yes I totally forgot about the perfume business at CHANEL!
Can you imagine the briefing meeting with Leena and the marketing team with Hedi for the yearly release of Chanel No.5?
Marketing + Leena: "we were thinking about a superstar to push our most commercial perfume: what about Margot Robbie shot by Meisel? We need a cinema superstar to boost the sales!"
Hedi: "No thank you, I'm gonna have unknown models to the general public Lulu Tenney in a black & white camera shot and a 30 seconds TV commercial with transitions every 2 seconds"

Can you imagine the same situation with MGC at Dior?
Marketing: "Rihanna instead of Charlize for J'adore!"
Maria Grazia: "...but I wanted Ruth Bell and Selena Forrest reading a feminist manifesto in rhyme"

If it ever happens that it goes to Chanel, at least we know what to expect in terms of fashion and visuals. Maybe he can surprise us with the shows…
Then after 7 years, he will leave.
the itch never fails...

I understand they need somebody reliable but good luck finding a designer that 'll stay at your house for 30 years

They’re expecting impossible: 8 collections / year and this b*tch CEO is pushing for additional HC collection + campaigns + special projects etc. On top of that they want someone who will stay there for 10+ years while we’re living now in the time when 3 full years in one position is a success. Please. They either gonna pick some well known name or someone completely obscure. No middle ground for designers jumping from one house to the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swfrank123
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->