"Houses Of Un-American Activities"

supernerd

Reaction score
Houses of Un-American Activities

Is the there a trend among European fashion conglomerates to rid themselves of all their American designers? After Tom Ford's split with Gucci and LVMH's off-loading of Michael Kors and Donna Karan, one begins to see a pattern. Especially since Brit knit wit Julien McDonald told the British press last week that before taking over Givenchy, he was initially offered Marc Jacobs' job at Louis Vuitton. "They offered me the Louis Vuitton job at first and I thought they were joking," he said. Perhaps they weren't after all?

source : fashion.net

[confused] :blink:

i really dont think fashion is turning un-american, this is just a real poor comment from fashion net..

Nobody turned TF away from Gucci group, it was his own decision to leave the group, as for Donna karan, she's been going down hill for a very long time, if it was not for LV she might have been forced to close down, her collections are real boring.

Michael Kors is another story, i think he wanted to concentrate to his own brand, as for Julien Mc Donald, how can anyone take Julien seriously? :rolleyes:
Julien is so taken by his dream to become the next Versace that he's missing the point in creating a style he can call his own.. i seriously do not believe he was even contacted by the LV group, this is wishful thinking from his side.

That is ineed,a rather sad and pathetic statement to make. Somehow,I smell a rat of a journalist trying to involve the politics and relations between France and America of earlier this year. Stupid.

As far as Kors goes,I was under the impression they "unloaded" him because sales haven't been great for Celine? Anyway,does it really matter,though? Its not as if any of them were doing the jobs that Tom did or what Marc is doing....sales,hype,sales,hype,sales,hype etc. etc. Michael and Donna,just weren't capable of bringing the people in like their predocessors.

Julien needs to put the passifyer back into his mouth and keep it shut. I refuse to believe that ever happened and I doubt it never did. He reminds me of all those little kids growing up, lying and making things up to make themselves look cool. He's such brat.

I think there's always some politics under all things. You are involved in the economic matrice and etc. But I agree with Scott, that kind of statements are indeed pathetic and totaly unrational. Poor journalism... :sick:

I agree it has less to do with nationality and more to do with workmanship. Agree with Julien McDonald. Very caught up in creating his own legacy he forgets to actually design clothes. On a side note though, I like what Donna Karan's been doing for the past two seasons.

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 29th, 2003 - 6:29 pm

As far as Kors goes,I was under the impression they "unloaded" him because sales haven't been great for Celine? ....

...Julien needs to put the passifyer back into his mouth and keep it shut. .... He's such brat.
:rofl: you are so on the point scott* :mohawk:

this article is all very stupid.

First tom left gucci group, did nto get kicket out.

i doutn know about michel , btu i ahve herd taht he whants to focus on hi sown line.

Donna has never goten along with LVMH and has never liked them( i knwo from some one who knows her) so im nto suprised that they are ditching her. I also think her past collections have been well resived.

Julien is just a pathetic little boy with delusions of graduer, i mean no body even puts his clothes in magazines.

Originally posted by Spacemiu@Nov 29th, 2003 - 6:59 pm

Julien is just a pathetic little boy with delusions of graduer
:rofl:

You guys said it all. :flower:

.. Julien at Marc's post. What does LVMH see in Julien? :blink: :doh:

Sorry Mehg,I have to say,I don't like Donna Karan that much. To me she's another one of those copycat designers. Anyone remember that collection she did last Spring I think it was,with all the lady-like shilouettes? I saw way too many blatant references from Branquinho. And her admiration for Yohji Yamamoto has keenly been seen throughout her laze about work for a while now. Not to mention,some apparent Demeulemeester-esque draping techniques.

If they're getting rid of these designers,my hopes would be that its purely because they can't seem to come up with their own ideas. I can at least say that John Galliano at Dior, comes up with his own material rather than copying someone else's work....even though I can't stand his collections,he does do that right. :blush:

if only it was so easy as pinpointing it to some un-american trend in fashion...i think it is quite to the contrary. i think that some of these houses needed to pare down their larger-than-life designers. i, personally, cannot separate the gucci look or the ysl look from the tom ford look anymore. the battle in that house, reportedly, was over creative control and i can understand why a conglomerate might want to impose some direction when it comes to these historic houses, else they would be chained to their designers from now on.

i absolutely agree with your point of view, wellcome to FS mikeijames :flower:

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 29th, 2003 - 11:07 pm
Sorry Mehg,I have to say,I don't like Donna Karan that much. To me she's another one of those copycat designers. Anyone remember that collection she did last Spring I think it was,with all the lady-like shilouettes? I saw way too many blatant references from Branquinho. And her admiration for Yohji Yamamoto has keenly been seen throughout her laze about work for a while now. Not to mention,some apparent Demeulemeester-esque draping techniques.

If they're getting rid of these designers,my hopes would be that its purely because they can't seem to come up with their own ideas. I can at least say that John Galliano at Dior, comes up with his own material rather than copying someone else's work....even though I can't stand his collections,he does do that right. :blush:
I onec read that DK was at a yamamoto shows sketching every thing down :shock: :(

I actually think JG copy a bit from younger deisgners liek Berhnard willhelm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->