How Has tFS Changed Your Style?

helena

Swim Upstream
Reaction score
how hs tFS affected the way you dress?

For me, I think it has made me much more 'true to myself', in other words, I am much more likley to buy & wear things that I like & suit me rather than being dictated to by fashion magazines. I like that. I think it has allowed me to get beyond fashion magazines & cut through a lot of the crap they peddle every season/month. :blink:

I like how on tFS we can share ideas & pictures of clothes without necessarily being bombarded with advertising.....we just see things as they are (albeit they are part of £££ shows inmany cases). I also like being able to share opinions on possible outfits & purchases with people whose opinions I respect. Sometimes you need someones else to help you wear things in different ways & I think tFS has enabled me to do this. :flower:

Has it changed your style? I'd be interested to now. :woot:

It is a confirmation that there are other people outthere, people of considerable intelligence and grace, who share great taste in fashion and who think of fashion as something more than just clothes and something other than simple material indulgence.

It is also a confirmation that there are other straight men who have a wonderful taste in fashion (I physically don't know any).

It is also a confirmation that the ditsy world of teeny boppers ruled by Cosmo & Co is going strong.

Having said that, I see now that I haven't really answered the question. Sorry. tFS has made my job so much less boring! Thank you, guys.

Ok, this is the second time I am editing, because I misread "style" for "lifestyle" :lol: I was introduced to some interesting brands, so you could say tFS expanded my style horizons. :P

good topic helena...i will have to think about it and come back...

thanks! ^_^ :flower:

Originally posted by faust@Dec 8 2004, 04:58 PM
It is a confirmation that there are other people outthere, people of considerable intelligence and grace, who share great taste in fashion and who think of fashion as something more than just clothes and something other than simple material indulgence.

It is also a confirmation that there are other straight men who have a wonderful taste in fashion (I physically don't know any).

It is also a confirmation that the ditsy world of teeny boppers ruled by Cosmo & Co is going strong.

Having said that, I see now that I haven't really answered the question. Sorry. tFS has made my job so much less boring! Thank you, guys.

Ok, this is the second time I am editing, because I misread "style" for "lifestyle" :lol: I was introduced to some interesting brands, so you could say tFS expanded my style horizons. :P
[snapback]456699[/snapback]​

no faust that was a good answer & even if you read lifestyle instead of style I think you still made sense in the context. thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I don't think it ha schanged my style alot, it has exposed me to more.

My style has changed sens I have posted on here, I think I have gotten a lot more understanding of my self and my style has become a mor acurate interprituation of what I like/who Iam and I can identify that easier, I think that has some what to do with tfs but also with myself geting older and growing as a person.

If anything, this website has been an improvement for my fashion sense.

Whether I see something fun that someone posted that I like as well... or I need opinions on what to wear with what....

I'm grateful. :smile:

I wouldn't say it's changed my style, but it's definitely developed my style. at the times when I've not had access to tfs (i.e. sept and early oct), I noticed I got a little more lazy with my style...I don't know, tfs keeps me on my toes and makes me want to try harder. I'm also quite shy and have always been quite timid in expressing my own style (i.e. I'm so much better at telling everyone else how they dress, but when it comes to myself I tend to stick to my trusty jeans and sweaters :blush:), but tfs inspires me to just go for it and not really care what other people think. I'm getting there...

:ninja:

Originally posted by utopia@Dec 8 2004, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't say it's changed my style, but it's definitely developed my style. at the times when I've not had access to tfs (i.e. sept and early oct), I noticed I got a little more lazy with my style...I don't know, tfs keeps me on my toes and makes me want to try harder. I'm also quite shy and have always been quite timid in expressing my own style (i.e. I'm so much better at telling everyone else how they dress, but when it comes to myself I tend to stick to my trusty jeans and sweaters :blush:), but tfs inspires me to just go for it and not really care what other people think. I'm getting there...

[snapback]456796[/snapback]​
I kind of feel the same way actually :blush:

It probably hasn't changed my style as such. What is has done is make me more sure that I should keep trying, to be less bothered about what the great uninformed think, to try to look at clothes other than those by comme des garcons (!), to realise that other people like comme des garcons clothes as much as me (!), to appreciate other people's clothes even though I wouldn't wear them, to realise that fashion, although not art, can connect people on actually quite a profound level...and that Dogville is indeed a work of absolute genius! :flower:

For me, I think it has made me much more 'true to myself', in other words, I am much more likley to buy & wear things that I like & suit me rather than being dictated to by fashion magazines. I like that.
-Helena
Originally posted by utopia@Dec 8 2004, 04:36 PM

[snapback]456796[/snapback]​
I relate to what Helena and Utopia are each saying very well. I pay more attention to what I wear now that I'm on tfs. I'm also far more likely to pick out things that I will still really like in a few months because I go beyond what the store windows advertise and look at the item itself and how exactly I will use it. Tfs has also opened my mind to new suggestions and possibilities in a lot of ways, which I also like. It has also helped me to realize that you don't have to stick to one specific look or type of look. I've always had a bit of a sense of fun with my clothes, but now that playfulness/humor about what I wear is a lot more obvious. :flower:

first of all, I'd like to point out that I havent bothered to find words to describe my style or too see if i even have one :huh:
BUT, i definitely have stopped buying magazines cause in primitive times, magazines were a window of knowledge for me, i just couldnt find anything that would remotely move me in other places, especially in my town in the middle of nowhere where nothing happens or grows..and internet is a great access but my knowledge of great websites was pretty limited.
anyway, the thing is that since i arrived here, i've learned so many things that many people are unaware of and i feel blessed and thankful for that. there are tons of people here who do/say/post amazing stuff and i would be lying if i'd say they don't inspire me at all, cause they do and it's good to be around people who can appreciate creativity out of something ordinary.

*gets caught in christmas time drama*

edit: answer: i dont have style :lol: :(

Created it. Before, I had absolute zero knowledge of fashion (possibly still do!).

TFS hasn't changed my style (I still dress the same way I did before I came here), but rather it has changed the way I look at style....thanks to TFS I now have a greater appreciation for quality fashion and like Helena said, I have learned how to judge clothes by their actual quality rather than accepting what I'm told by fashion magazines. Because of my increased understanding, I no longer covet items like a pair of $450 Louis Vuitton sneakers (it was actually my dream all this past summer to own a pair) that are all hype and aren't a good expression of myself. I also have a better idea of what style suits me, and have actually confirmed that what I've been expressing all along through my style fit me much better than dreaming of attaining high-profile luxury brands that for the most part just aren't me. There are some cons though, now that I don't want those LV sneakers or that Gucci suit, I want things like a $2000 Carpe Diem leather shirt which is actually more expensive :lol:

Finally i just think TFS is a great place where I can talk to people who have a similar love for fashion as I do, as I've never met anyone except for my parents who shares this interest as me.

Originally posted by Johnny@Dec 8 2004, 03:19 PM
and that Dogville is indeed a work of absolute genius! :flower:
[snapback]456899[/snapback]​
yes it is

:flower: TFs has changed the way i look at fashion... its about learning to draw inspiration from others... creating images and new looks to suit your mood... it gives you the oppertunity to here people opions on aspects of how to dress or accessories... its kinda like know what people on the street think when you walk by...

:rolleyes: Fashion isnt just about shopping or wanting to look your best... its about working with different materials and invisioning new styles...

this forums has given us all an inside look on stylish people

as well as a lot of free shrink time :innocent: so we dont have to pay out for some crazy person

I personally am starting to have more goals... to stick with the basics and build on that... and i am learning not to be sucked in by wanna be it girl fashion trends.... :blush:

:brows: and thats my osaca speech :heart:

In all honesty, my style really hasn't changed, if anything I feel more strongly about it because I've gotten to know other people who are passionate about style and fashion. I still like a lot of the things I've always liked, and then there are things that I was introduced to as a result of being at tFS. Like I said, my style hasn't changed, but it's kind of grown....if that makes any sense.

Good question Helena. I think that being young and not having an established style that tfs has provided me a lot of opportunity to see fashion that I was unaware of before (less known designers that aren't featured in mainstream magazined, or more avant-garde designers) and also to just find a community of people who are like minded and allow to you bounce ideas off of, who are there to support you emotionally as well. I think also being in an accepting community like this it helps you to accept yourself and your own style and expressing that. Tfs also provides me with lots of inspiration

Originally posted by Meg@Dec 8 2004, 07:29 PM
Good question Helena. I think that being young and not having an established style that tfs has provided me a lot of opportunity to see fashion that I was unaware of before (less known designers that aren't featured in mainstream magazined, or more avant-garde designers) and also to just find a community of people who are like minded and allow to you bounce ideas off of, who are there to support you emotionally as well. I think also being in an accepting community like this it helps you to accept yourself and your own style and expressing that. Tfs also provides me with lots of inspiration
[snapback]457120[/snapback]​
This is so true :flower:

TFS has opened my eyes to many other designers, many of which I cannot yet afford :P , but I am seeing more of what's out there. TFS is filled with many unique individuals who have a lot to contribute which is very helpful in deciding what to wear and how to wear it :flower:

Originally posted by Meg@Dec 8 2004, 07:29 PM
[snapback]457120[/snapback]​
agreed :flower:

TFs has definitely inspired me to try new things and to be open to different ways of expressing my own style :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->