How Much Sleep Do You Get?

Erin

Iowa Girl Loves Fashion
Reaction score
The benefits of a good night's sleep are numerous:

* It boosts your immune system
* It makes you smarter - Nighttime is when all the info you've studied sinks in.
* It helps you look better - During sleep the body goes into repair mode and regenerates skin, muscles, and blood and brain cells.
* It increases concentration

Here's to hoping you get enough. :flower:

It matters not when I go to bed. I will only get 5-6 hours of sleep. I could go to bed early but I will be up that much earlier. I am rested and am in good health so I just figure it's OK.

i go to bed at around 10.30pm & get up at 7.30am.9 hours. i am early birdie!

9 hrs?!?!...damn woman..!!!

i need 8 hrs of sleep...i will automatically wake up after eight if i am left alone...
so i know that this is what my body requuires...

but for the past year...my upstairs neighbor wakes me up after only 5-6 hrs...
as result i am foggy and groggy and sometimes particularly grumpy...

it's a serious issue in my life right now... anyone have any tips on how to get this guy to quiet down?...i've tried everything from yelling & threatening to tears...he just apoplogizes and keeps right on doing what he's doing...very nonchalantly...slamming the front door...refusing to wear slippers around the house...running up and down the stairs...dropping things on the floor...dragging chairs across the floor...slamming drawers...etc... his footsteps are so heavy that my apt vibrates and dust falls from the ceiling at times... :doh: :ermm: :cry:

Originally posted by softgrey@Dec 8 2004, 01:12 PM
as result i am foggy and groggy and sometimes particularly grumpy...

it's a serious issue in my life right now... anyone have any tips on how to get this guy to quiet down?...i've tried everything from yelling & threatening to tears...he just apoplogizes and keeps right on doing what he's doing...very nonchalantly...slamming the front door...refusing to wear slippers around the house...running up and down the stairs...dropping things on the floor...dragging chairs across the floor...slamming drawers...etc... his footsteps are so heavy that my apt vibrates and dust falls from the ceiling at times... :doh: :ermm: :cry:
[snapback]456412[/snapback]​

soft, that's horrible... how disrespectful. Have you tried earplugs? The silicone ones are the best. I use earplugs because this girl across the hall always has her music blaring, the sound of bass drives me absolutely insane. Or maybe a fan or something, just to drown out the noise so you can't hear it so much.

i sleep with the tv on... but it's not enough...
and after a couple of nights of sleeping with earplugs...i feel like my head is going to explode... :wacko: :blink:

that's not a good permanent solution...and we each own our apts...so it's not like i just have to put up with it for a little while...i've got to find a solution or i won't survive...my health is really suffering...

I go to bed at 1 and get up at 8 so about six/seven hours.

Originally posted by softgrey@Dec 8 2004, 02:12 PM
it's a serious issue in my life right now... anyone have any tips on how to get this guy to quiet down?

Find him a girlfriend with a nice house? :innocent:

I sleep with a small personal fan right by my head, it's a nice white noise.

Once you get focussed on something how easily can you stay focussed on that one thing until you fall asleep?

I have a Thunderstorm CD that I play every night and i get so focussed on it that I basically can ignore anything else, outside of my child, and fall asleep rather quickly to it. I have it set to play for three hours and so by the time Im in a REM cycle, I'm basically dead to the world.

Do you have a building manager? Speak to them.

Do you know the noise ordinance laws in your area? Check them out, see if you can find a loop-hole there.

There has to be a logical solution that should cost you little to no money and hopefully little to no stress. :wink:

my sleep, for lack of a better and more suiting word, is f*cked.

I'm happy if I get three solid hours of sleeptime. All the benzos in the world haven't made a difference :(

Originally posted by softgrey@Dec 8 2004, 01:12 PM
9 hrs?!?!...damn woman..!!!

i need 8 hrs of sleep...i will automatically wake up after eight if i am left alone...
so i know that this is what my body requuires...

as  result i am foggy and groggy and sometimes particularly grumpy...

it's a serious issue in my life right now... anyone have any tips on how to get this guy to quiet down?...i've tried everything from yelling & threatening to tears...he just apoplogizes and keeps right on doing what he's doing...very nonchalantly...slamming the front door...refusing to wear slippers around the house...running up and down the stairs...dropping things on the floor...dragging chairs across the floor...slamming drawers...etc... his footsteps are so heavy that my apt vibrates and dust falls from the ceiling at times... :doh:  :ermm:  :cry:
[snapback]456412[/snapback]​

softgrey - I didn't know it was this bad for you. If you lived here there may be a legal solution - where I live there is a thing called 'the law of nuisance' where neighbours etc are under a legal duty not to cause a nuisance to an adjacent property. This covers things like noise, rubbish etc. I have no idea if there is anything like this under US law - I imagine not (US law is based in English law but my legal sytem is based on Roman Law). sorry if this is boring & technical. Do you know any lawyers who you could ask informally?

Obviously that would be the last ditch solution anyway...... could you suggest better soundproofing - either to your ceiling or to his floor? On the front door - could you arrange to have it sprung so that it closes slowly. The only other thing I can think of , short of threatening him again, is earplugs. I know you shouldn't have to....but if needs must.........

I have a friend who is a lawyer in the NYC - I could ask him if there is a legal solution. or faust's wife might know.....

:sick: erm... let's see. last night i got 12 hours of sleep. the night before i got... 10 hours. the night before that, 10-12, somewhere around there.

i'm on this horrible schedule of falling asleep at 2am and waking up at 2pm. i'm not even partying or drinking or depressed or under a lot of stress, either! i'm 22 so i'm done growing... maybe i just need lots of sleep? i'm wasting my life away with sleeeeep

thanks johnny...wah!...
i'm at my wits end ...there is something in our by-laws of my co-op about 'quiet enjoyment'...but that's a very grey area...there are also rules about carpeting and running on the stairs...but they are hard to enforce...

i may need to talk to a lawyer...

About 6-7 hrs I think, there was a time where my average was like 5 hrs :ninja: I don't fall asleep easily, probably genetical?

My sleep is important, other things can wait. On average 8 hours but 9 would be perfect!

Originally posted by softgrey@Dec 8 2004, 07:07 PM
thanks johnny...wah!...
i'm at my wits end ...there is something in our by-laws of my co-op about 'quiet enjoyment'...but that's a very grey area...there are also rules about carpeting and running on the stairs...but they are hard to enforce...

i may need to talk to a lawyer...
[snapback]456978[/snapback]​

That may help - the 'quiet enjoyment' provisions sound like they might be the ones to focus on. What are the sanctions if the co-op rules are not adhered to? I assume you can't force the person out but you may be able to get some kind of implementation order i.e a ruling telling the guy to activley comply with the rules..... However the minute you start going down that road, any semblance of an amicable relationship is gone. Can you discuss it with him again on neutral ground? As a last attempt (making that clear).

im not getting any right now. it's partly my own fault. too many essays,too much reading for class, not doing enough work in the daytime (shopping instead) so i work into the night, etc. But i just can't work in the day. at night it's really quiet so it's great-in the day all i do is read fashion magazines, come on tfs, shop... it's my way of juggling the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->