How short is too short *without tights*

kytila

Reaction score
Hiya!

Hope this isn't too random, but had to ask...

First... I kinda already know what my style is, and I'm not very *showy*, and I'm very anti looking sl*tty... I thought I'll share that info first so you'll get my reasoning behind this question...

It's a good friends birthday tomorrow, and she's having a party, I can mostly guess what most of the other girls will be wearing (think herve leger - short bandage/tight and heels), I wont ever wear that, not because I don't think I'll look nice, but because I'm very tall (5'10), tiny, yet shapely, and I think I'll feel a bit sl*tty if I did... It's just as simple as mini dresses will always be extra mini on me.

However... I've been asked to wear a hot dress.. And want to wear one of my favourites, but as its very short, I always wear them with tights... But her request also included - its summer, please don't wear tights. Shes one of my best friends and just moved to london from la, so its sort of a fair request.

Anyways, I wish I had a camera to show you, but using google I found pictures of alexa chung wearing said dress with tights, and model on runaway without tights.
I dont know how tall alexa is, so cant compare on that level, however all our bodies are similar, and the dress fits the same on me, ie: slouchy-floaty, but its still only like a four inches below my crotch, I have been known to wear it with jeans! :smile:

So question... Night time party, cool bar, like 11pm-dawn, should I ignore my friend and wear tights especially as I am going to be wearing high heels, or listen to my instinct which says its too short not too?

Ps: I'm 22 and live in central london, so its not like I'll make anyone gasp.

Here are the pictures:
alexa_chung_1759146.jpg

24m.jpg

Thanks, in advance... Will be refreshing this page, until I start to get ready tomorrow lol.

(Please don't tell me how over that dress is - I don't care, I like it! lol)

Pics from: style.com and chicshopper

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a lovely dress, but I agree that it is on the short side, but not indecently so. It all depends if you would be happy and confident enough to wear it without tights. If you think you are going to spend the entire evening pulling it down (been there, done that) then don't, and maybe you could compromise by wearing it over cropped trousers or shorts. You wouldn't be wearing tights, but probably would feel less self-concious about it and be able to concentrate on having a good time and not worrying about your knickers being on show. Hope that helps.

I definitely think it's too short to be worn without tights or something under it-I would go with a little pleated skirt or with a pair of black cuffed shorts. I'm not going to suggest you not wear it, because it is a great piece-but it is one that I would belt and wear over black cuffed shorts. At least, that's how I would wear it.

As a designer and stylist I find this an absurd request. The point of fashion is ones own style. If this is a costume party or black tie event then yes, there is a traditional guidline - yet open to interruption with good taste.

The description of your figure sounds like you would look lovely with legs a mile long showing. I would also suggest to find a friend that sews or a local DIY person in London to add a band or 2 to the gorgeous Herve Lever banded designs. With a figure such as yours - how can you go through life without this experience.

A quick and easy fix for anything short short is a slim silk chiffon slip that can peek out from the hemline. You succeed with shortest of short dress and the little modesty panel of sheer. In a pinch silk or satin tap pants under the short length will work.

You are welcome to email me with questions and images. I can suggest my magic fixes so you can be comfortable - look spectaclur and most of all learn a few guidlines for your personal wardrobe solutions. This way you can always make it work for you and most important; make it your own.

Jean Stranquist
southern california

A quick and easy fix for anything short short is a slim silk chiffon slip that can peek out from the hemline. You succeed with shortest of short dress and the little modesty panel of sheer. In a pinch silk or satin tap pants under the short length will work.
Jean Stranquist
southern california

Oh wow, that's an amazing idea... It's not a tight dress, so no one will know the extra layer isn't part of the dress... If you have any brand recommendations please share, but shall be heading to a major lingerie section _ or my moms closet lol, to find a slip. It's weird, that's such a cool idea, I remember when girls wore underwear as outerwear on top, but it's hardly ever done on the bottom. Thank you!! :smile:

Feline
Oh gosh I used to do that all the time... don't get me wrong, I really like being tall, and love skinnies, but I dont want to walk into a room and everyone just sees 'leg' lol... I'll feel naked.

Trista + Feline, shorts is definetely what I'll keep in mind for future, casual occasions, but I worry it may seem a bit too casual for this one...

Thanks, already you've all made me feel like I'm not being totally ridiculous asking this.

This is a really good topic! It's kind of one of those fashion questions that stays 'unanswered.'

Really it's a matter of personal taste. I personally wouldn't wear something so short with no tights. I do like the slip idea though!

But if you feel comfortable in it, I say rock it!

The important this is, don't let the outfit wear you. A lot of people who look ridiculous in super short dresses don't know how to carry themselves to pull it off. I also feel that keeping the makeup, accessories classy can help any chances of you as coming of 'underdressed' or 'hoochie' you might say.

Good luck and I'm sure either way it would be fine. :smile:

My post may be useless, but I just want to agree with stranquistdesign about how absurd this request is. If she is your friend she should want you to be comfortable and come attend her party and help celebrate and not worry about what you are wearing. I think it's very silly of her.

Granted, if it's maybe the case of trying to get a short (or maybe less thin) friend in the door of an exclusive nightclub and telling her, "show a little cleavage" or "wear at least 4" heels" or something so the doorman lets her in I think that's just logistics and a friend trying to get her shorter or not-as-thin or whatever friend in the door with her. But if you are already tall and thin and it isn't a question of getting in the door, why should she care what you wear? Just be comfortable. it should be your decision if you wear tights or none or how short or long your dress is, not your friend's decision.

I know that may sound like a silly or superficial example but it's the only real life example other than for a wedding party or to take a group photo when I think it's appropriate for a friend to tell her friends what to wear if they didn't ask for her opinion.

My post may be useless, but I just want to agree with stranquistdesign about how absurd this request is.

You know, honestly I agree with you, but it's hard to explain... We have always dressed differently, and anytime we get dressed together, to go out to like a club, we have this conversation - ive never bugged before! It's not about getting in (we're the same height/size etc), as much as maybe it's cos I spent my forumlative lifetime here, whilst she did in la, I'll always relate to someone like thandie newton style wise, whilst she more paris hilton.. got it, flaunt it. I just uploaded this pic of both in mini dresses, yet different, as an example.

However shes put a lot into planning this, and wants photos with the pins out, so for the first time ever, I think I should just do it - hence the thread, seeking a way to, that won't ruin my sense of self. Does that make sense?

This is a really good topic! It's kind of one of those fashion questions that stays 'unanswered.'

Really? I dont know why I always thought it silly... Yes, I will feel hoochie without tights, afraid to dance etc... Will try the slip idea. Thanks for nice comment. :smile:

If I were You, I'd go to that party wearing this dress without tights. From my personal experience I can say that at first you'll probably feel a little bit uncomfortable, constantly pulling the dress down and etc., but after a few hours (or few drinks ;D) you'll loosen up and feel really sexy :wink:

I think that this dress is a bit too short. well, it looks good on the runway, but it can be uncomfortable when you'll want to dance, sit or sth like that.

I find it absurd that your friend used the "no tights" rule as well!

Wearing a slip underneath, like stranquistdesign suggested, is a brilliant idea. I have a mini dress with a silk layer peeking out from underneath the fabric; it's very sexy in a subtle way. However, some ideas are better in theory than execution, so if it doesn't work out, I would just go for tights. This could be due to the fact that I have always been a bit contrary, but really, it is the most practical option. Wearing sheer tights in spring and summer is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. You'll still look hot.

I do not think you should wear the dress sans tights or slip. You won't feel comfortable. If this girl is a good friend, the outfit you wear to her party will be of minimal significance. She will want you to be yourself and have fun. :flower:

Well I love the short short, but with bare legs always with flat shoes, and always wear a slip. In my opinion for high heels you need tights and black.

My post may be useless, but I just want to agree with stranquistdesign about how absurd this request is. If she is your friend she should want you to be comfortable and come attend her party and help celebrate and not worry about what you are wearing. I think it's very silly of her.

Granted, if it's maybe the case of trying to get a short (or maybe less thin) friend in the door of an exclusive nightclub and telling her, "show a little cleavage" or "wear at least 4" heels" or something so the doorman lets her in I think that's just logistics and a friend trying to get her shorter or not-as-thin or whatever friend in the door with her. But if you are already tall and thin and it isn't a question of getting in the door, why should she care what you wear? Just be comfortable. it should be your decision if you wear tights or none or how short or long your dress is, not your friend's decision.

I know that may sound like a silly or superficial example but it's the only real life example other than for a wedding party or to take a group photo when I think it's appropriate for a friend to tell her friends what to wear if they didn't ask for her opinion.

woah- i don't know what is more absurd...
asking someone to wear a hot dress with no tights ( for no apparent reason)...
or doing it just to get past a (completely moronic ) doorman...

either way...
where's the self- respect...?!..

:huh:...:ninja:...

i would make some new friends and go to some different places......:innocent:
but that's MY personal style...

and i wear VERY short skirts ( not skintight though) with no tights and a 2 inch heeled boot to the knee..
or a flat sandal in the summertime for day...
i LOVE short skirts...
the shorter the better...

^_^

very short skirts with bare legs and very high heels is going to look trashy....
i don't think there is really any way around it...
it is what it is...
and it IS very LA...:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for all your suggestions...

I'm getting ready now, almost done and guess what - cannot do it! Despite my height, I am a heels girls, always been, and so I will be wearing tights - 15 Denier, which isn't too dark, but still makes me feel normal.

I tried the slip, but because of the detailing at the bottom of the dress, it's like cut up in curves sort of, it looked a bit weird, like if the dress did not have that, it probably could have worked.

Not saying anything to her, I think ultimately she may care or not, but I know me, and if Im worrying about my *** on show, I wont have fun.

Hopefully i will be able to take pictures and show or something.

Thanks again!!

^ I think you made a good choice. Who knows, maybe your friend won't notice. And if she does, you can just say, "Oh no, I forgot!" ^_^ Have fun at the party. Please take pictures-- I have always loved that Chanel dress.

Good thing you went with what felt comfortable !

I used to think there was such as thing as too short until I met one charming eccentric at a party in a dress so short her behind peeked out when she raised her arms to dance and hug friends. But the panties were properly chosen for the job, and the overall effect was more gamine and charming. Her carefree demeanour made a big difference; it does require a certain personality.

woah- i don't know what is more absurd...
asking someone to wear a hot dress with no tights ( for no apparent reason)...
or doing it just to get past a (completely moronic ) doorman...

either way...
where's the self- respect...?!..

:huh:...:ninja:...

i would make some new friends and go to some different places......:innocent:
but that's MY personal style...

No, I agree with you that it is absurd at some doors and i don't think it's right at all, but I have seen/been with groups when they will literally turn cute decent stylishly-dressed girls away and let some of their friends in if they don't "look-right" (aka being very short or carry a few more lbs.). I think that is a disgusting policy but maybe a reason someone might forego their personal preferences in favor of something that makes them look taller or "more sexy" (aka somewhat trashy) just for the door logistics. :ninja:

If you get a hemline less than 16" below the waist, you need something under to avoid being called Brittney or Paris.

Let your arms hang naturally and relax your hands and fingers to a natural curl. If the hem is above your fingertips, wear something under.

That said, I think bare legs go with swimsuits or shorts or sundresses. If you're dressed up, your legs should be dressed also. They style or quality of hosiery should match the rest of the outfit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inafrombaki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->