Imitation of Christ Haute Couture FW2005 ?

Spacemiu said:
It was anounced she'd be doing couture awhile ago.

That's right, about 14 months ago in WWD. Never read any follow-up on it. I like the presentation. As for the clothes, they are okay.

I was surprised to see this on Yahoo this morning as well. Overall, what people have said is correct: this does not look like couture...and it does not look like fall/winter. However, the dresses arent so bad...just somewhat uninspired and out of place.

morgan38 said:
I was surprised to see this on Yahoo this morning as well. Overall, what people have said is correct: this does not look like couture...and it does not look like fall/winter. However, the dresses arent so bad...just somewhat uninspired and out of place.
A description that fits their designer perfectly!

Subkoff has been showing (unofficially) since 2002.

It's not so much a matter of invitation as it is milking connections.

Her RTW was terrible, Bonnie Cashin in fleece. And I agree, this is nothing new. How many floaty, colorful dresses do we see every season? The woman just makes me angry.

To me couture means the best technique, the best craftsmanship, and the best materials used in the best way possible. That is what made Christian Dior the house that it is, and Balenciaga, and Givenchy, etc. It is why, despite his tacky theatrics Galliano continues to present the finest and most well crafted dresses each season. It is why you ooh and ahh when you notice the details on a Jean Paul Gaultier dress. Couture is a spectacle not because of the extravgant show but because the clothes themselves are a testiment to the incredible feats the human touch can do with fabric. It's almost sacred.

Whether it is a nice collection or not, to suggest THIS is couture is to throw away years of tradition, innovation, and the legacies of the greatest couteriers of our time.

:lol: Lena :D

To add,while I do appreciate designer's who break the rules...um...she's certainly no Anne Valérie Hash or Marc Le Bihan. Seems she's just trying to enlarge an already fat ego by proclaiming she can do anything so long as everybody's watching. I don't appreciate this sort of mockery toward the emphasis on what couture is and has always been about-which is as Mutter so poignantly described;immaculate craftsmanship and most especially design and imagination. But this is nothing but a load of candy-coloured archetypical sheer dresses we've seen Donna Karan do in her p-a-p. Just boring and mainstream....nothing magical about it really.

boring, pretty, and out of place indeed

all images from catwalking.com

imchhcaw050166la.jpg
imchhcaw050223jk.jpg

imchhcaw050298tu.jpg
imchhcaw050414ly.jpg

imchhcaw050479un.jpg
imchhcaw050637ar.jpg

imchhcaw050696zc.jpg
imchhcaw050789kj.jpg

imchhcaw050965lt.jpg
imchhcaw051031cl.jpg

I guess she really can act, like a designer that is

It's not that these pieces aren't pretty...so much as there are probably 10 underpaid underexposed slaves working under her getting no credit for the ideas behind them ...like Matt the genius previously behind the operation...and others. She really has come a long way since her days of taking the vintage straight off the hollywood racks and placing her label in them...often without a single change to them. I guess appropriation is the best form of art. But hey if the Emperor's New Clothes fit...? who am I to argue

i seriously think this is her ss06 collection shown in Paris, just in the courtyard...

i dont want to come up as a defender for her work (much more since i'm not defending her ) but i cant see what makes you guys so worked up with ioc..
if its no good, one can always ignore.. no?

even IF it's just the SS06 collection, i still think the dresses are only OK, and nothing impressive at all.....they look rather ordinary....

I generally do ignore it, but I guess because I actually know a lot of the people who helped start IOC and made most all the clothes people saw on celebs or in magazines (not Tara) They were promised a piece of the pie and poured their artistic ideas into making all that stuff and then left behind the wings. she is a smart business woman, she surrounds herself with genius creative people and then takes all the credit. I just commented before because I always am amazed how much further this scam escalates. I think Milli Vanilli

Couture or RTW, is this a joke?! Most terrible collection I've ever seen a designer come up with?! It looks like summer dresses my aunt owns.......

success being proclaimed the absolute value i understand why subcoff seems so annoying. and with many innovators and more sincere designers going out of business the acclaim of something so boring just seems obscene.
but i also think subcoff feels the popculture and the needs of the pretty girls who can afford. a bit like stella mccartney, only stella is more interesting.

travolta said:
i think that yellow dress in nice

nice as in i-got-it-in-a-thrift-store, maybe. but not nice as in haute-couture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
antago
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->