Inès de la Fressange

modillustr

Reaction score
In�s de la Fressange(In�s, Marie, Laetitia, Eglantine, Isabelle de Seignard de La Fressange) was born on august, 11th of 1957 at Gassin, near Saint-Tropez, in the Var, France.
From an old French aristocratic family of the lord of La Fressange, native of Velay in Auvergne, (central mountainous area of France). She grew up in an 18th century mill outside Paris with three brothers. Her grandmother was Madame Simone Jacquinot, heiress to the Lazard banking fortune.and her uncle, Hubert de la Fressange, was killed on October 2nd of 1944 as he was fighting for freedom of France in the 1st regiment of marching morrocan spahis in the 2nd DB.

She went in the school of Institution de la Tournelle at Courgent, then at Institut Notre Dame at Mantes-la-Jolie in the Yvelines, then after at the Ecole du Louvre in Paris where she passed the baccalaur�at.

She began her modeling career in 1974; some gave her the nickname of �the talking model�.
In 1975, she appeared for the first time in the Elle magazine on photos taken by Oliviero Toscani, then walked runway for Thierry Mugler, and some of the most famous fashion designers.
From 1983 to 1989, Karl Lagerfeld chosen her to be the egery of Chanel haute couture House, thinking of her physical resemblance with Coco Chanel..
She is the first model to sign an exclusive contract with a haute couture house, and one of the first model to be given a lot of media coverage.

She is chosen to be the model for the bust of Marianne (symbol of the French nation in every town hall). Because of her contract with Chanel, Lagerfeld declared :�I don�t want to dress a monument, it is so vulgar!� In spite of this, she did posed as the Marianne and her contract with Chanel was quashed.

In 1990, she married Luigi d�Urso, a famous Italian business man and art dealer, at Tarascon.
Two daughters were born, Nine in 1994 and Violette in 1999.
In 1991, she made her own brand, �In�s de La Fressange� and her shop selling luxury goods, ready to wear, and perfume at 14 of avenue Montaigne, in partnership with Louis Vuitton group. It was an immediate success, especially in France, U.S.A. and Japan.
In December 1999, she is dismissed from her own company in which she had not majority holding.
She tried to get the right of use of her name and image, but after five years of judiciary fighting, she loosed.

In 2002, she wrote with the Marie-Claire journalist Marianne Mairesse, her autobiography:� Profession mannequin� published by Hachette.
She collaborated with Parisian designer Bruno Fissoni to relaunch the Roger Vivier�s haute couture shoes, for which she became art director then chairman.

Her husband died of a mild heart attack in 2006.
In�s de la Fressange supports the Orphelinats d�Afrique association and is the sponsor of M�c�nat Chirurgie Cardiaque which help children from poor countries to be operate for heart in France. (translation from Wikip�dia fr, personal scans)

Attachments

• Fressange_Chanel01s.jpg
    Fressange_Chanel01s.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Fressange_Chanel02s.jpg
    Fressange_Chanel02s.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited by a moderator:
Chanel Boutique ad

Attachments

• Fressange_Chanel03s.jpg
    Fressange_Chanel03s.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 35
Thank you for starting this thread about former Chanel model extraordinaire Inès de la Fressange. :woot:
She was certainly one of the icons of 80s fashion.

Here she is next to the bust of Marianne, in 1989.
2004347337446711614_rs.jpg

corbis.com

thanks modilluster :wink: , I've always adored her pose at COCO ads back in the 80's , well i was a kid at that time .. but there is somthing about her? MAYBE HER EYES ?

for the moment I found only these small images, I'll search for HQ later.
imagesdeparfums

Last edited by a moderator:
models in the 80's & 90's were truly ladies, i miss them alot .. what we have now only girls :(

Thanks for posting Spiral1532, I especially liked the one where she is beside the bust of Marianne as Brigitte Bardot.
And "merci", Taz, for the beautifuls close-up of the "Coco" ads. I agree with you, and those classy, dazzlingly beautiful and elegant at the same models were ladies.
Chrystelle Saint-Louis Augustin, had it too and Lucie de la Falaise, of course...
A "french (aristocratic) touch"?

Attachments

• Fressange_chanel04s.jpg
    Fressange_chanel04s.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 30
From the same ad campaign

Attachments

• Fressange_chanel06s.jpg
    Fressange_chanel06s.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 38
i :heart: all the french models,and she is amazing in #6

Chanel Boutique, suite..

Attachments

• Fressange_chanel07_s.jpg
    Fressange_chanel07_s.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 30
Nice thread, modillustr ^_^:flower:

I especially loved her Chanel and the Coco ads...so divine. She really has exquisite features as well as magical eyes. I loved when she was Marianne. There was a beautiful photo of her with a small crown from that time...I'll see if I can find it to add here.

Chanel boutique...
(personal scan)

Attachments

• Fressange_chanel08_s.jpg
    Fressange_chanel08_s.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 35
source | timesonline.co.uk | by Lisa Armstrong

Inès de la Fressange: Karl Lagerfeld's muse will get the Légion d'honneur

Karl Lagerfeld's erstwhile muse is about to be awarded the honour. Some people may not like it, but she deserves it.

It's so easy to carp, isn't it? The blogosphere is already thrumming with suggestions that Inès de La Fressange, one-time muse to Karl Lagerfeld, occasional designer and now spokesperson for Roger Vivier, might not be the worthiest recipient ever of the Légion d'honneur, which will be pinned on to her whippet-thin torso in Paris next week. Honestly, what do these detractors want? The Légion d'honneur may have been instituted in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte as the highest honour the Republic could bestow. It may sound scarily portentous and look magnificently important: a sort of hybrid between the Victoria Cross and one of those gorgeous enamel flowers that you can get at Dior, although, sadly, without the diamonds. But it is not, repeat not, the Gallic answer to the Nobel Prize. So give Inès a break, OK?

So Inès, with her outstanding services to looking thoroughly damn stylish in an utterly inimitable French way is a more than deserving candidate. Plus, she's 50. This detail is important because de la Fressange is wearing her age in a way that seems possible only in France, which is to say, she's not trying to look as though she's 30. “Thirty?” snorted de la Fressange when we met recently. “A lot of women stick with that because it was their favourite age for some reason. I don't really think like that. I mean, when a man tells you you look good, it's not because you don't have any wrinkles.”

The ageing process is greatly helped when you're tall, thin and look a bit like a boy, albeit one with excellent hair, because let's face it, there's simply less of you to go south/downhill/wrong. So I actually believe her when she says she's reasonably relaxed about getting older, partly because she doesn't appear to have had any work done, and partly because age doesn't seem to be compromising her taste in clothes and accessories at all.

“That's not quite true,” ripostes de la Fressange in her perfect, idiomatic English. “I can't wear really short shorts any more, or fluorescents. Actually, I'm a bit of a navy jumper maniac now. But I'd certainly never go to a shop for 50-year-old women. And I wouldn't go really classic - it's very ageing.”

This from the woman who used to live in Chanel, before Lagerfeld unceremoniously fired her as the house's face. But that was when she was still in her twenties, and even then she would mix her tweeds with T-shirts and jeans. Standard practice now, this was considered une vraie scandale at the time.

In retrospect, she says, the 1980s were uptight and heavy, and that living in red lipstick and pearl earrings the size of cupcakes was not her best look. But she thinks in some ways fashion was easier then than now. “There was more to hide behind. Now you have to have perfect skin and amazing hair, because it can't be too dressed. And clean teeth. A lot of women forget about that.”

She breaks off as two blonde Russians, a mother and daughter, or maybe a granny and daughter (there isn't a wrinkle between them so it's impossible to be sure), glide past in a haze of perfume and diamonds. “There's also a lot of fun to be had if you are not afraid. It's great to have a beautiful bag,” she says, stroking her patent Vivier, “but I also go everywhere with this plastic sack. You have to mix genres now: if you are wearing an army-surplus coat, put it with ballet shoes, not heavy boots. If you are in diamonds, then play them down with a matelot top. Oh, and never wear fur.” It would be nice to think that this final nugget springs from a well of animal compassion, but I think it has more to do with the fact that fur is bourgeois and ageing. Well, what do you want? She is French.

The style gospel according to Inès de la Fressange
Keep an element of punk in your wardrobe - always. Even Chanel was a bit punk; the way she wore jersey and fake jewellery was a rebellion in her day.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. If you have never put a foot wrong, you're probably too set in your ways.

Look for alternative ways of expressing what you feel: you may not want to wear a fluorescent dress, but how about a pair of tangerine patent shoes?

Dressing head-to-toe in expensive clothes can be as big a mistake as always wearing cheap ones. At every age it's far more effective to mix things up. I like it best when it's not obvious where my clothes come from.

Be open-minded about new labels. It's great to have tried-and-tested ones, but thanks to my two daughters I'm also a regular at H&M, Gap, Isabel Marant, Aspesi and Vanessa Bruno.

Inès was and will always remain an authentic Chanel face. She is a very difficult example to follow.

Claudia: me thinks not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->