Interns? How are you coping?

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by LauraCampbell, Sep 28, 2009.

1. LauraCampbell

LauraCampbell New Member

I need some moral support at the moment! Struggling to think how I'll get through the rest of my sandwich year!! At least once that's finished I'll have over 2 years work experience so hopefully never have to do another internship again!!

2. ettebe

ettebe New Member

My internship going quite well. They let me choose my schedule. The way I see it by next year, it might turn into an actual job :) Which might be more of a headache.

3. ohbittebitte

ohbittebitte New Member

I am barely making it! Although you, myself and all the interns will make it! Right? We will get a good job after all this hard work!

4. kala_dev

kala_dev New Member

its quite a job. i run around getting all the clothes from different brands. and steam and pack up.

and thats all i have done for one whole year. i am called when the stylist wants to. i go and help him out.

it is quite a experience to be part of it but i feel there could be somethings more i could do.

i am gona quit soon though.

5. LauraCampbell

LauraCampbell New Member

I do love my internship. But there's just so much to do at the moment. The worst thing is I got sent home sick last night, and I'm still at home. As much as I'm loving the time off (fair enough I'm just drawing and watching crap tv) it's good having time to myself to do my own work (which is very much neglected at the moment- will really have to get back into drawing as I'm appauling atm!), but I'm going to go back to a pile of stuff on my desk to wade through! I just keep thinking about the job at the end of the tunnel

The worst thing is most people on my course who are at hellish places stick a smile on and tell everyone how they're "coping" so well with it. Do we just have to pretend that it's all alright or else people are going to tell us we're not "hard" enough for the industry???

6. BetteT

BetteT Mod Squad Team Leader

Interning is the dregs of the fashion biz and you work very hard doing stupid things. So there is always a lot to bear.

It's about making connections and impressing the "right" people (and you never know who that might be) more than anything. You never know who might be in a position to offer you a job or refer you to someone else ... so you have to guard your good reputation.

It's not really about being "hard" enough for fashion ... it's about being able to cope with any stressfull assignment ... because fashion, in any capacity, is stressful. People, who are going to employ you in the future, need to know that you can complete the job and that you won't crumble in the middle of a tough assignment.

I think it's OK to comiserate in a place like tFS ... and a good place to blow off steam. Be careful, though and don't sound too negative (you aren't, you actually sound positive but tired). Especially, if that is your real name ... employers search by name and email, before hiring.

Also ... I would not complain at work, even to fellow interns who are your friends. A "friend" who is also an intern or a lower level employee might have a hidden agenda and your "complaints" might get back to the bosses or someone else who would have referred you to a possible employer. Watch your back ... anything you say can get repeated.

The biz is very small and people all know each other ... and they talk. So any negative talk can come back and haunt you.

#6 BetteT, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Natasa: Sep 29, 2009
  7. Katie123

Katie123 New Member

I quite liked my last internship, it was really tiring at first because I was doing a two men job, but two weeks later someone else arrived and i got to split the tasks and it was much easier. it also helped that everyone in the office was so nice and so not your stereotypical fashion people.
    i'm not looking forward to my next one so much because this time it'll be alongside uni, every day of the week. i can already feel my back aching :(