Interview With Bernhard Willhelm

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Bernhard Willhelm (31) is a designer from Ulm, Germany, who studied at the Royal Academy in Antwerp and now lives and works in Paris. Alongside his own men’s and women’s wear collections he also designs a prêt-à-porter line for the Italian couture house Capucci in Milan. He isn’t interested in thinking nationally - he makes his own rules in life, just as he does in this interview with kodex.

kodex: Just two years ago you belonged to what was known as the up-and-coming of the designer world. Your status has changed since then - you now belong to the established set. Is that something you feel - do you feel established? And was it easier being an up-and-coming young designer?

Bernhard Willhelm: Am I finished or am I just starting? That’s exactly what I ask myself every day. Am I already there? Or am I standing still? Asking the question is more important than knowing the answer. Am I established? What’s important is the keeping going, the next collection. There’s enough work to be done, and material to do it with.

kodex: Does the pressure increase with each season, from both outside and in?

Bernhard Willhelm: I’m very unresponsive to pressure. Sometimes I roar like a big bear, at others I lay there quietly like a genetically modified tomato.

kodex: How have things been working at your company?

Bernhard Willhelm: The secret is: conceptual with corporal pleasure - as a cure and to be happy. Every company grows with its work and its workers. It’s normal - we’re a group of young people (wonderful and mostly female), who like making fashion together. Fashion can only work in a team.

kodex: What has changed since you’ve been working in Paris?

Bernhard Willhelm: It’s funny, since I’ve been in Paris I’ve felt like a young Roman. There are new areas to discover, and experiments to carry out. I’m still in the observation stage at the moment and don’t want to jump too soon.

kodex: What’s it like keeping an eye on the new designers yourself now, and being able to give them support?

Bernhard Willhelm: You help others by discovering and nurturing and using your own talent. You give them what you do.

kodex: Can you give us some examples of values to pass on to young talent?

Bernhard Willhelm: Keep your eyes open! Follow Dalai Lama if you’re interested in values and ideas. My designs are an invitation to the imagination. There is no moral behind my work.

kodex: What does Antwerp mean to you?

Bernhard Willhelm: I have beautiful memories of Antwerp. Actually, though, I’m not someone who feels very attached to certain places. My home is everywhere and nowhere, and I travel a lot. I find it so great having my own bed, though! That’s my home. It’s made of oak with amazing down bed linen. It’s simply a dream.

kodex: What attracted you to Capucci?

Bernhard Willhelm: The idea of a free, unpolluted house. Isn’t that what everyone dreams of?

kodex: What does your work at Capucci stand for? Is it proof that a designer can also work outside his or her own fashion world - that the work can be abstracted?

Bernhard Willhlem: My work is never proof of anything. Each collection is the silent witness of a working process. Each collection raises questions which can and must have many different answers, even within the same team. There are no rules.

kodex: What’s it like designing for a house which already has its own design language and valued customer base?

Bernhard Willhelm: We developed our own language for this project. So we learnt to talk to one another. And creatively, the customers are, on the whole, extremely open. They can see immediately if a collection is strong and convincing.

kodex: How far has the work for Capucci influenced your own collection?

Bernhard Willhelm: My dreams and ideas are very abstract. I always dream of squares. What does that signify?

kodex: Is it still possible to live and work by your own rules?

Bernhard Willhelm: Nobody can do that. We all have our duties and deadlines, and believe me: these things keep the world moving.

kodex: How do you avoid overconfidence?

Bernhard Willhelm: I don’t know. Possessions don’t interest me, but spending money is fun. Finding a balance is the answer.

kodex: Part of your work is the courage to court controversy. Is it possible, when something has been pushed so far, to still make it amusing?

Bernhard Willhelm: It’s not about making it amusing, but about testing the limits. Collections often become strong and interesting through opposition to them.

kodex: What’s it like to be described as the most successful designer in Germany after Karl Lagerfeld?

Bernhard Willhelm: The question is, how do you go without success? Of course I’m sad that the ultimate success is Karl Lagerfeld’s. But I find it narrow-minded to compare people. Lagerfeld is the only designer Germans know. My generation have something totally different to say, and want to be heard on their own terms. That’s what I’m fighting for.

kodex: In Germany at the moment there are lots of new magazines and clothes shops. Do you see a new visual language developing?

Bernhard Willhelm: It’s all too computer-driven for me. I miss the handmade, imperfect feel of publications. A bit of sloppiness can often be very fresh, so long as the concept works. Shops? The world needs new shops. There are far too few, and every town needs at least two of this kind of store. A shop should set an example. I love shops!

kodex: Are you working on any special projects at the moment?

Bernhard Willhelm: We’re launching our first book (out in January in Berlin), which our graphic designers Carmen Freudenthal and Elle Verhagen worked on. In the last four years we’ve developed our own visual language together, which we wanted to document.

kodex: How would you describe your work ethic?

Bernhard Willhelm: My work is spontaneous and fast. Intuition is extremely important. That’s where surprises come from. A faux pas is essentially something positive. An unsuccessful idea excites me more than a perfect one. The purely aesthetic doesn’t interest me. Perfectionism is important when the clothes are being made. The mind is chaotic. Only chaos contains beauty. The things we truly love are much more important than perfectionism.

Good stuff :heart:

thank you 、
I like something faulty, accidental.

It fascinates me that he says he isn't interested in the aesthetical approach to design especially given the school he attended and that he was surrounded by perhaps the most aesthetic driven designers in the industry. And perfectionists....now I know why he said he somehow felt out of place there.

I really apreciate this.

he is so cute and wise. i really liek and ejoy what he has to say.\

I lvoe this quote
"only chaos contains beauty" :heart:

so true

his comment abotu not being intrested in clothes astheticly is veyr intresting, i guess he is more intresting in creatiopn than conceptualism?

hmmn... interesting ... thanks for posting...

i found this boring ... i didnt even get to the end of it...
it know makes me thankful that i never hunted down that first ever issue of butt magazine... where bernhard did an interview... n some photos naked...
*yawn*

What is so boring about it? I simply don't get the insuation that all his interviews must be boring because you found this one as such.

i really find him pretentious like ...
I’m very unresponsive to pressure...My designs are an invitation to the imagination....The purely aesthetic doesn’t interest me.

give us a break bernhard and go make an effort to create something more original than those silly loud trucksuits :P

I like him a lot. He's always in a class all his own. Though most people, I think, would classify him as "avant garde," he doesn't subscribe to those overworked, rigorous notions of what fashion should be. I like that he's upfront about fashion's throwaway quality. His clothes are fun, clever, and never too serious.

Oh come on Lena....you've got to admit that for the most part of his work thus far,he's done some pretty incredible things.

Granted,in recent collections its been slightly lacking but you can't deny the refreshing prespective he's been able to present to fashion.

Btw,I just bought his book which come out a couple months ago--has all of his work compiled since he started showing in 1999. The imagery looks stunning;done by his stylist/photo collaborators Carmen Fruedenthal and Elle Verhagen.

never said he's not talented, i just find him far too arrogant in this interview.. and i simply cant find any creative thrill in his recent collections, thats all scott*

i wont go as far to say he's a 'has been', but i've been quite dissapointed both by his 'ego' and his recent collections.

brick print jumpsuits are not funny -or creative- to me. :P

Lena I totally agree with you on the his ego trip. His last couple of collections did lack, esp the men's collection.

Maybe he will get his head out of his **** and come up with something awesome next season.

Originally posted by Christopher31@May 10th, 2004 - 8:09 am
Maybe he will get his head out of his **** and come up with something awesome next season.
hopefully :wink:

in the meantime he's busy overestimating himself :rolleyes:

Oh I completely agree that there hasn't been anything too thrilling creatively the last few collections. I actually wish he would bring back that more tailored feel as he's doing for Capucci and what he was doing when he was re-interpretating Bavarian milkmaid's costume and Michael Jackson motifs. That's that Bernhard I adore,to be honest. But you know me,I am never one to lose faith because of a couple lacklustre collections and I too hope he gets back on track.

Maybe its this move to Paris??

Spike,the book is simply called "Bernhard Willhelm 1999-2004". If in New York,Lukas & Sternberg sells it as they are publishers.

Lena - couldn't agree more. There are some decent ideas in what he says, but on the whole it really is pretentious crap:

"My work is never proof of anything. Each collection is the silent witness of a working process. Each collection raises questions which can and must have many different answers, even within the same team. There are no rules. "

That just doesn't mean anything (unless you try really hard). It's just a series of random non sequiturs. It's a mistake to think that that makes it profound.

And having seen his forthcoming AW collection for men, I would certainly agree that he's not interested in the aesthetic!

Here's another interview with Bernhard. I didn't know whether or not to start a new topic or not, as the title is quite broad. It's from FashionWindows (i'm not a member, but i love google cached).

PARIS, Jun 17, 2005/ FW/ --- Fashion Windows caught up with German designer Bernhard Willhelm at his Paris atelier/office in early May. Upon our arrival, Willhelm was literally completing some finishing touches to his next men’s collection. That collection will be presented in less than two weeks in Paris for Spring-Summer 2006.
Because so many were left in a daze after the presentation of Willhelm’s Fall 2005/Winter 2006 women’s collection, this interview provided the perfect opportunity to get into the young designer’s head and better understand the way he creates.

FW: How was it growing up wanting to work in fashion?

BW: I didn’t grow up wanting to work in fashion. As a kid, I never played with dolls. When I was still 18, I wanted to work in the botanical fields.

FW: Really?

BW: That’s right.

FW: Ok then so how did you finally start in fashion?

BW: I became interested in it step-by-step. I started fashion in Germany. That’s when I met Jutta, my associate. I then moved to Antwerp for 4 years, and Jutta Kraus went to London for her studies. We met again while she was working at Dirk Bikkembergs.

FW: Why Antwerp?

BW: Antwerp is cheap. It has small structures and small infrastructures with ateliers willing to do small collections…I had been working in Antwerp and showing in Paris. And then, I decided to move to Paris seven years ago. At that time, there was a movement in fashion where Antwerp was influential.

FW: So do you now believe that you were born for this job?

BW: No! I don’t believe that designers are born. They are developed through steps. This is my 7th year. It’s tough because I’m not old, and I’m not young anymore. I’m sort of caught somewhere in the middle…

One group may love our work and us; and other may hate it. Our licences in Japan are developing. In Japan, Onward-Kashiyama is a big client, and they made our name there.

FW: What makes your working interested?

BW: Anything can be interesting. As long as you have a creative mind, you can do creative things. This is why for my last collection I did chaotic things.

FW: Now that last collection threw many for a loop. Can you explain your idea behind it?

BW: It’s chaotic and controversial. There was a new race of women, like leopard women! It was based on pure fantasy.

I like different interpretations of it by different people. I don’t want to do pure glamour because I feel that there are people that do it better than me. With each collection, you look for new things; things you didn’t explore before.

FW: If you didn’t do fashion, what would you like to do?

BW: I would like to do nothing.

FW: Nothing!?!

BW: That’s right nothing. Why should I have to work? Why can’t I just do nothing? I hate that people define themselves by work. I do what I do because it is satisfying.

I still have a lot of respect for fashion. I’m doing what I can to counter that fashion conformity. Fashion is a part of culture and part of society and reflects them. So, it is not always glamorous and that’s the aspect that interests me.

FW: What advice would you offer someone wishing to get into fashion?

BW: I would say that no school can make you a good fashion designer. Go to a good school. When you find a field that interests you, stick with it. There are many fields where you can be creative and designing is just one of them. After school, you have to show in a fashion capital and show it to people. Try to get a reaction.

Do your best. Make sure people see it. With a bit of luck, you can go on. Realize that your fame last only six months and until the next collection.

FW: What do you want our readers to know about you?

BW: In the end I do it, and people discover it. And when they like it, it makes me happy. It comes from within, and I really like it when others like my work

… Also, wear more hats. And Tommy Hilfiger was right. The American flag is great!

oh and i am confused about this interview, because other articles I've read about him said he didn't move his atelier until 2002.

i like bw. he seems playful and has a good head on his shoulders in terms of fashion. i like the boundaries he pushes through the perception of what fashion is and aesthetically. fashion is ridiculous anyways and that's why it's good we have people like bw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->