Interview With Bernhard Willhelm

Spacemiu said:
I really apreciate this.

he is so cute and wise. i really liek and ejoy what he has to say.\

I lvoe this quote
"only chaos contains beauty" :heart:

so true

his comment abotu not being intrested in clothes astheticly is veyr intresting, i guess he is more intresting in creatiopn than conceptualism?

true dat!!:heart:

i really find him pretentious like ...

Absolutely. That whole "chaos is beauty" thing, I mean, how cliched is that? Dante Gabriel Rossetti only beat him to saying that by a few hundred years. Can't see anything new here, just a bit weird. This new interview confirms my views, he comes across as lacking in substance, in words at any rate.

When the interviewer asks what Wilhelm wants the readers to know about him he comes up with this "In the end I do it, and people discover it. And when they like it, it makes me happy. It comes from within, and I really like it when others like my work". How banal? That's what he wants me to know about him...

Last edited by a moderator:
chill out prince. :flower: maybe he doesn't care to be clever ....:rolleyes: why be verbose? especially w/ clothes ...i'm eating my own words here btw

Another interview from Butt

Bernhard Willhelm (28) is a German-born fashion designer, currently living and working in Antwerp, Belgium. Only months after finishing his four-year course at the fashion department of the Royal Academy of Antwerp, he started showing his own designs in Paris. Last March, he presented his fifth collection, for Winter 2001-2002, at the Moulin Rouge.

What Butt-boys should know about Bernhard Willhelm:
• He is one of the best contemporary designers around, because he steers clear of clichéd notions of glamour and beauty.
• The first thing he does after breakfast is trying out another new idea at his cutting table. Every single day. Only to stop twice a year, take off to Paris and show the results of his arduous labour on a catwalk.
• He thinks clothes should be fun to wear and to look at. But in a serious way.
• His heroine is Pippi Longstocking.
• At the moment he’s obsessed with Lucy, the first woman in the evolution of mankind known to walk upright, instead of crawling around on all fours. Her skull was found in the African desert and scientists reckon it to be 3 million years old. In a tribute to this early femme fatale, Willhelm had skeletons dancing on a giant backdrop during his last show.
• He still has a soft spot for Nena. You know, 99 Luftballons.
• He makes sweaters emblazoned with dinosaurs and landscapes, puffy ra-ra skirts, Bavarian-style girlie dresses and coats with figurine monkeys on their back.
• He’s got a good body. Because he thinks it’s the best accessory.
• He is a natural blonde.
• He says it’s cool not to be cool.
Bernhard Willhelm on sex and boys and tampons and slimy monsters, in the first of our ‘Butt f*ck Q&A’.
Have you ever used whipped cream?
No, I prefer it not whipped.
What’s the meaning of sex?
Sex is communication. Desire. Lust. And it’s very entertaining. It makes you happy.
What is your earliest erotic memory?
The smell of summer. The first ripe strawberries in our garden.
Rumour goes you once went to a fashion show in a kilt and no underwear. Is this true?
It might be.
What do you think of Gay Pride? Ever been to one?
When I was sixteen, I went to my first Gay Parade. That was in Cologne. I wore short denim pants and a pink mohawk. It was great fun then.
Lots of Dutch guys are very attracted to the idea of a German man. How comes, you think?
Because both the Dutch and the Germans are very open(!).
Is Germany sexy?
Very much so. And it will become even more so. The country just can’t help it.
Do you think about sex when you’re making your clothes?
Working with a hard-on is great fun.
Who was the first boy you had a crush on?
That happened when I was on holiday in Brighton, England. I had a flirt with a black guy on the beach. My English improved steadily.
Are all straight men actually gay?
Not at all. It’s nice to know you can’t have them all.
Give us some tips on seducing a guy.
Looky Looky
Fucky Fucky
Only 5 dollars!
Do you believe in gay marriage?
Yes! Please marry me!
Let’s talk limits. What maximum age can a guy have to make him attractive to you? Same for weight.
Maximun age: 55 (or later). Maximum weight: 85 (or earlier).
Define fidelity.
Fidelity is only 5 dollars away.
Do designers get groupies?
Groupies are great. Especially female ones.
What’s your fetish?
Underwear. Let’s do a range in underwear.
What colour is sex?
Flesh.
What is the sexiest fabric?
Mix and match.
What, in your opinion (based on experience) is the best time of the day to have sex?
In the evening, or around midnight. Ich bin nachtaktiv.
What part of a man’s body is unexplored?
Ears. I get immensely turned on by sound.
What is the most sexy look for a man?
I like holes.
Did you get sex education from your parents?
No. They didn’t even tell me what tampons were.
Did you panic when you had your first wet dream?
A bit. It happened after I saw Tom Selleck on Magnum, P.I.
What for you is the sexiest movie?
Aliens. Sigourney Weaver is so sexy in it. The same for the alien, dripping with slime.
Any final thoughts?
Be nice and kind. The Dalai Lama says to spend some time on your own every single day. And appreciate cooking!

>> http://www.buttmagazine.com/Issues/1_Bernhard.html

:heart:

i liked it, and i must admit, as much as i tried to re read the interview, looking for ego, i couldnt find any. I mean, if he has ego, plz can you point out to me who doesnt? because i really would love to hear theyr view of things(im not being sarcastic, plz point them out to me). To me, ego is Lagerfeld, Slimane, Versace and all the other flamboyant garbage that represent everything that i despise, the illusion of perfection, the illusion of hierarchie, and any form of work that doesnt go towards transparency of soul. But thats just me.

How much love can u give in an interview that focuses on ur perception.

i dont like his aesthetics, but i like the soul behind it

I like that he comes across as the anti-KL. Bravo! I don't see "ego" - he stressed that it was always a team working together and each collection raises many questions instead of echoing one particular theme.

I think he is very much misunderstood simply because he produces clothes that not many people like, and when you make it a point not to conform, especially to the notions of aesthetics, you come across as arrogant and thumbing your nose at the rest of us.

To me, BW simply marches to the rhythm of his own beat, a rare quality in the world of seasonal trends, fashion themes and clones. It's also ok to have fashion eccentrics around that look hideous. Very refreshing in the age of relentless search for media perfection and beauty.

There is a very strong creative scene in Berlin now which started with incredible music and clubbing. And of course the [sigh] defunct Love Parade. Naturally, it has taken off into very original fashion directions, as others have posted [C. Neeon, Kaviar Gauche, etc.]. You won't find endless renditions of the "lady", "doll", "boho", "vintage", "mod" and other recycled themed runway cliches as you would in most fashion capitals. BW did help bring attention to the German/Dutch designers [more fun, graphic and colourful compared to the Belgians], and don't forget, he was the first to do the "doodles" craze. He should do more to get involved with the Berlin scene. Also, Berlin is unique for being uninhibited and cheap, can't say that for BW's clothes, even taking into account the work that goes into each piece.

Oh wait, there is one cliche he uses...the Dalai Lama... :rolleyes:

*sayan said:
i liked it, and i must admit, as much as i tried to re read the interview, looking for ego, i couldnt find any. I mean, if he has ego, plz can you point out to me who doesnt? because i really would love to hear theyr view of things(im not being sarcastic, plz point them out to me). To me, ego is Lagerfeld, Slimane, Versace and all the other flamboyant garbage that represent everything that i despise, the illusion of perfection, the illusion of hierarchie, and any form of work that doesnt go towards transparency of soul. But thats just me.

How much love can u give in an interview that focuses on ur perception.

i dont like his aesthetics, but i like the soul behind it

versace and lagerfeld i agree...but slimane? he is one of the modest and shy designer i ever come across. well lagerfeld may take him under his wing so to speak but they are completely different.....IMHO.

though i respect your view

:heart:

PrinceOfCats said:
lacking in substance, in words at any rate.

exactly, perfect definition. same goes for the clothes.

I don't know what to say,really. I have these conflicting feelings about his work,you know,but I still don't think I would ever dare say he lacked substance. I just think he's not using his substance for the moment.

If one goes and looks at his early stuff till about 2003,you will find the guy did some amazingly beautiful things. I don't want to get down on him because I know it's still in him to do better things again.

Scott said:
I don't know what to say,really. I have these conflicting feelings about his work,you know,but I still don't think I would ever dare say he lacked substance. I just think he's not using his substance for the moment.

If one goes and looks at his early stuff till about 2003,you will find the guy did some amazingly beautiful things. I don't want to get down on him because I know it's still in him to do better things again.

And I don't think you should, Scott. The things he does today should not diminish anything he's done in the past. :flower:

I hate what Dirk Bikkembergs has been doing in Milan, but I will never say that he's done nothing good ever.

we have to remember designers have to put out collections at a pretty fast rate. musicians on the other hand have no specific deadline for putting out an album, and the response isn't guranteed. fashion designers don't have the luxury of sabbaticals, therefore they are bound to have some miss steps. i guess that is why fashion is interesting is that it is constantly evolving, and a good designer will show this for the good or the bad.

travolta said:
we have to remember designers have to put out collections at a pretty fast rate. musicians on the other hand have no specific deadline for putting out an album, and the response isn't guranteed. fashion designers don't have the luxury of sabbaticals, therefore they are bound to have some miss steps. i guess that is why fashion is interesting is that it is constantly evolving, and a good designer will show this for the good or the bad.

Nice try. Shall we put together a little bernard's retrospective of the last SEVERAL seasons or should we spare the fellow tFSers?

BTW, Raf Simons has taken a sabbatical before.

Mens S/S 06

attachment.php

Men's F/W 05

00032.L.JPG

mens s/s 05

00008.L.JPG

mens F/W 04

00004.L.JPG

women's F/W 04

00008.L.JPG

women's F/W 02

00001.L.JPG

women's F/W 05

attachment.php

S/S 04

14.jpg

:( but i really love that dinosaurs dress..

and s/s 05 as well..
32.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->