Is Fashion Still Cool?

Astrid21 said:
Excellent post, as usual, faust.

I posted this article almost two years ago and it's fascinating to see members still discussing it. I love everyone's valid opinions on the topic.

Thank you, Astrid...

I wonder if some of our members who keep saying that all fashion is boring or bland or conformist or consumerist have been enough or properly exposed to fashion. And what is the definition of fashion for them anyway - is it the mall/mainstream magz/celebrity culture? For myself, each season I see incredible, beautiful, innovative pieces - be it experiments in cuts or new fabrics, or construction. So, I don't think fashion is boring - it's what you expose yourself to. Sure, if you have even half a brain, but all you can get your hands on is a copy of InStyle every month - you will think that fashion is so boring that it will make you gag. However, if you have, or seek out, proper exposure - I think fashion can become one of the more interesting and exciting aspects of culture.

for some reason this thread is acting weird - i can't see page 4.

I think fashion is still beautiful, but not very exciting...

Astrid21 said:
I posted this article almost two years ago and it's fascinating to see members still discussing it. I love everyone's valid opinions on the topic.

Just goes to show there will always be dissent in the name of good conversation!:wink:

Well, what would you say about Miami, Florida as being an exciting Fashion Hub? ie South Beach. I have been trying to get into this industry as a model, and not sure if my market would be in New York or Miami. Any insight?
brittanni

fashion rather than being a statement of individuality and coolness nowadays are statement of money.

the imagination of fashion

hi there

fashion is just a word and as words be they can be interpreted in many ways. what i may consider 'cool' (how 80s ^_^ ) may be awful to you and so on. however as with the other posters here i agree fashion is not a mangled decapitated corpse venting the last gasps of vuitton breath. fashion is changing as is the world and the more i come to know of the fashion world (am a fashion student @ rmit melbourne) the more i come to appreciate not only my own interests but things beyond my own tastes. there is an unbelievable amount of design out there in the world and in our own street. sure if you look at the mass-production scene you will quickly find all your creative juices sucked dry - i mean the amount of time spent calculating a 'lay' in gerber just to get the maximum amount of fabric use! urgh!

but thats just one end: aka fashion as money. i don't see it like that and never will. as long as one keeps their mind open they will never lose sight of the world.

best regards

john

btw love some of the pics here - esp the japanesse white/black one: fabulous indeed!

Less elitism could do the "fashion industry" some good.

But what is the fashion industry?

Is it Cosmogirl or some other magazine that promises to exploit the latest "celebrity trend"? The fashion arena is really unclear.

I used to know people who considered Abercrombie & Fitch a fashiony-designer item to carry.

It's all very subjective.

I know that the true meaning of fashion lies in the designers and people that don't have some weird emotional addiction to their egos.

They don't follow the mainstream and often live on the fringes of what is deemed acceptable by "progressive" magazines like the one listed above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->