Admit It. You Love It. It Matters.(NYT) - fashion as a culturally potent force

This has always been one of my favourite articles. I just love how Guy Trebay writes. What's great about fashion is that it attracts a lot of people who are 'outsiders', so to speak. However it has also attracted other types of people who view their love of shopping/dressing in a way to attract a certain type of attention/etc as a 'love of fashion'.

I suppose that fashion, unlike something like art, or even drama (if we're just talking about more cultural/artistic industries), doesn't really have an institutional body or academic centre which decrees who's 'qualified' in fashion or not, which gives rise for all these so-called experts springing out of nowhere on blogs/tv/magazines, and people who think they can rehash some frilly monstrosity on some second rate reality TV show can credit themselves as designers - or as noted, Kim Kardashian can claim to be a 'designer' because she's got a line with Bebe. It's like if Lindsay Lohan collaborated with Damien Hirst and then calls herself an artist. And you know, in times like these, I wouldn't be totally surprised if something like that happened :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->