Is fashion too fickle?

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Is fashion too fickle?
(Filed: 05/10/2005)

Last week Tom Ford, the former Gucci designer, attacked the fashion industry, saying that rapid introduction of new trends is leaving consumers confused and putting them off buying clothes - but is he right?

Yes, says Clare Coulson - the speed of change is getting out of control

What will you be this winter? A scowling goth in a floor-sweeping black skirt and high-necked Edwardian shirt? A mini-skirted Mod with kohl-framed eyes and kinky boots? Or a Hitchcock heroine with blood-red lips, p*ssy-bow blouse and a body-hugging pencil skirt?

The reality is that you probably won't be any of the above because while the fashion industry creates a dizzying, unrelenting flurry of trends, most of us are wearing the same thing year in, year out.

Tom Ford's recent assertion that fashion now moves too fast sounds like the dismissive words of a man who has made his mark (and his money) and moved on to pastures new (in his case, the film industry). Ford is far too clever to make sweeping statements without foundation; this is the man who ruled fashion in the late 1990s and invented the concept of the modern, ruthlessly branded fashion label. And he is right - fashions now come and go so fast that only the most ardent fashion victims can keep up.

Some designers flit from one theme to another each season - think of Miuccia Prada's shift from a sombre, largely black collection this autumn to her feather-light one for next spring. Or Marc Jacobs, who for autumn decreed a new egg-shaped silhouette, only to replace it for next spring with the clean preppy lines of American youth.

Of course fashion thrives on change - its continual pursuit of the new and novel is what keeps the industry alive and keeps us, the consumers, interested. It's fun to buy new things and change the way we look, but the speed at which fashion evolves now feels out of control. Trends move more quickly than ever before; they come and go in a matter of weeks, not months or years as they used to. High street shops turn around new collections so quickly that if you don't buy on a first visit you are unlikely ever to see the most sought-after pieces again. Sometimes it is easier, as Ford says, to opt out altogether and live life in a nice pair of jeans.

Of course, it's in the best interests of the fashion industry to convince us that if we don't have the latest dress, bag or pair of shoes, we've been left behind. Last year the womenswear market was worth £38 billion and is growing steadily, but as the womenswear buyer of a well-known London boutique recently admitted to me, trends come and go so quickly that women get turned off by the whole thing. They feel as though none of it applies to them and end up stuck in a style rut.

But some designers out there are trying to slow things down. In Paris this week the avant-garde duo Viktor & Rolf said: "Fashion is running out of time. There is too much, too fast. The only way to progress is with our originality and patience."

This new breed, who belong to the slow fashion movement, believe in developing a look over several seasons. Their aesthetic develops over years and their labels seem more relevant to real women because of that. Phoebe Philo, Alber Elbaz at Lanvin and Christopher Bailey at Burberry produce collections that shun the dramatic biannual about-turns that other labels revel in. Take Chloé, for example, where Philo develops the brand each season, adding to her lexicon of looks so that her designs are never simply one-hit wonders - they are of the moment, yet timeless too.
*i would add rochas to this list....

No, says Justine Picardie - fashion may be transient, but you should tackle it at your own pace

It was Coco Chanel, that most acerbic and knowing of iconic designers, who remarked, "Fashion should slip out of your hands. The very idea of protecting the seasonal arts is childish. One should not bother to protect that which dies the minute it is born." It's an intriguing suggestion, that fashion is something we can never preserve, for it is always elusive, always on the verge of escaping us, and that is why we follow it.

Looking at it her way, fashion is like quicksilver; and to castigate it for change would be to miss its point entirely. Thus, the fashion industry has built itself around mutability; marking the passing of the seasons with transient collections, adjustments, reinventions, predictions.
But look at it another way, although still through the prism of Chanel, and you can see that some things endure in the lexicon of fashion: not least the little black dress, first popularised by Coco Chanel in the Twenties, and back in the shops again this year (as always). Then there's the talismanic Chanel iconography, the camellias and pearls; the double Cs and number fives - all still here, reworked yet remarkably timeless.

And you don't have to dress in Chanel to know that there will be elements of your own wardrobe that remain constant: your favourite jeans, softened through washing and wearing until they fit you, and you alone; or maybe some reliably durable T-shirts (I like mine in black from Gap or Petit Bateau, precisely because they don't change the cut).

Then there are the pieces we love because of the history that is attached to them - the red party shoes that carried you towards your heart's desire; the dove-grey cashmere sweater that softened a harsh winter or a colder rejection. These are the keepsakes that we keep safe (and keep us feeling safe, in turn); and with these in place, you can gladly go on the occasional shopping expedition to pick up something more ephemeral.

But curiously - and maybe this is a sign of middle age - when I do go out searching for the new, it often looks familiar. Take this summer's beaded boho tops - surely, they were more or less the same as last year's offerings (and those of the year before that)? Or this autumn's proclamation that black is back: well, we've all been here before, haven't we? As for the latest military jackets - they're near identical to the Topshop version I bought several winters ago.

Perhaps what is most important, in the end, is to remember that fashion is all about you - your tastes, your desires, your need for change, or constancy. You can make it go as fast or as slow as you want; you can take your time, go at your own pace. Without your choices, there would be no fashion industry; without you, your wardrobe would have no stories to tell.

from-http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/main.jhtml?xml=/fashion/2005/04/29/efmix29.xml

i think it IS too fast...right now...
i hated the about face that prada did for spring...
i hated the turn around at LV...
and i wish lanvin had been more of an extension of resort...

i haven't even gotten to wear my fall things and they are already showing stuff that is so far from where i am in my mind...
ugh....

what do you guys think?...

yay or nay?...

Fashion, in the runway sense, always seemed to be about a constant shifting of trends and aesthetics to me...but in today's age of rapid, disposable information, this move from trend to trend seems even faster and dizzying. Which is why I always adhered to a philosophy of more timeless style, even if it means being more toned down/basic...I dunno, I'm kind of turned off by people who go boho one season then dark goth the next, just because they're moving with the pulse of 'fashion.'

I think fashion is definitely moving too fast, but with collections available online so quickly, knockoffs seem to appear just as fast as their original inspirations, and designers have to keep switching it up so that their collections don't look like what topshop has to offer.

I also agree that the rapid change of directions don't coincide with what real people actually wear. Personally though, I don't really take trends too literally if I can help it.....I didn't go boho this summer, because I don't identify with that trend. This fall, the variety of trends are there for you to pick and choose and integrate with your own style. The victoriana look was in a few years back and I still have pieces from then that I can now wear again. Fashion is fickle but also very circular too.
I'm definitely in favour of designers developing a signature style rather than trying to do trend turnovers. It doesn't cement the identity of the designer and is just confusing really.

yes...it's confusing isn't it?...

i like a designer to have a point of view and a personal vision...
like yohji...
so even when it's not good...
it still very yohji...
you know what you're going to get....

it's also good for a brand to build customer loyalty this way...imo...

softgrey said:
i think it IS too fast...right now...
i hated the about face that prada did for spring...
i hated the turn around at LV...
and i wish lanvin had been more of an extension of resort...

i haven't even gotten to wear my fall things and they are already showing stuff that is so far from where i am in my mind...
ugh....

what do you guys think?...

yay or nay?...

YES ...

did I just agree with Tom Ford?? :blink:

The author offers Elbaz as an example of someone who doesn't do about-faces ... wrong ... sure, it wasn't as radical as MJ, but an about-face it was.

In fashion as a whole, generally there is a building up, a peak, and a trailing off of trends. I do find all these about-faces disconcerting ... I find myself moving in a more classic direction. I absolutely would like to see more continuity, particularly from indiv designers as Susie mentions.

The one point of disagreement I have with the article is that we really don't have complete control. Sometimes the clothes that represent the direction you want to go simply aren't available in the stores. Lanvin didn't offer what I wanted him to offer this spring ... and where else can I go for it? It simply doesn't exist ...

I agree.

I wish I was more diciplined in my taste, that way the ever changing trends wouldn't cause the dilemma it does when I open my wardrobe and decide that nothing goes together. Maybe all the choices is what is making me and others style schizos?

We're spoilt for choices - which is a good thing - if you got dicipline and a steady eye..but if you are like me sometimes you just want to hit the trend breaks and make time stand still, so you can actually wear that garment more than a couple of times, before something new strikes your fancy and diverts your eye.

susie_bubble said:
... Fashion is fickle but also very circular too...
Agreed! And, in my opinion, the cycles in fashion are becoming shorter and shorter. Trends used to resurface every decade or so, but now they resurface every few seasons...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanne said:
but if you are like me sometimes you just want to hit the trend breaks and make time stand still, so you can actually wear that garment more than a couple of times, before something new strikes your fancy and diverts your eye.
*raises hand*...
me hanne...me too!!...
i'd like to enjoy wearing the things i have for a little while before the next batch of stuff comes along...
it just gets ridiculous...

which is why i have so much stuff in my closet with the tags still on....:ninja:...

**the statement the second writer made about everything looking familiar in the stores is also really true for me...:shock:
i am actually feeling like i already have everything...
:huh:...

so i also agree with ta-ta...
what i want and am looking for really isn't out there much for spring...

**in case you haven't noticed...
i have been customising more and more...
and have actually taken to making things now!!...
that is how desperate i have become to find what is in my head...

it's like you have a huge feast in front of you and there is nothing you would like to eat...:(
like you would eat dessert...but you still haven't finished your main course...
it's too soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
softgrey said:
yes...it's confusing isn't it?...

i like a designer to have a point of view and a personal vision...
like yohji...
so even when it's not good...
it still very yohji...
you know what you're going to get....

it's also good for a brand to build customer loyalty this way...imo...

Well said! I couldn't agree more :flower:

great article, softgrey!

I do agree that fashion is too fickle...

I realise that I am always bored of the new trends mid-season, I get excited when a new season rolls by, but then I tired just as quickly..
So, it's back to my usual comfy tees, jeans, broken-in shoes again.

There comes a point when I start buying and wearing clothes because they simply appeal to me.. I am really tired of trends, I love them if they appeal to me, but if not, I'll ignore them.

I guess it simply boils down to knowing what works and not getting caught in the vicious cycle of buying items that you do not love, simply because it's the season's latest.

susie_bubble said:
I'm definitely in favour of designers developing a signature style rather than trying to do trend turnovers. It doesn't cement the identity of the designer and is just confusing really.

:clap:Agree completely.

It's especially a problem in small cities where you don't get a great variety of shops - what, we have Mango, H&M, Diesel, Miss Sixty, Zara and err..Replay&Sons. That is it. And these are shops which just basically sell knock offs of trends. So if you don't like a trend, like the boho look this Summer which was so not me, I had no choice of what to buy! It was so frustrating. I don't want a peasant skirt, I don't want boho belts, no no no! But where can I get something non trendy? Nowhere. I just have to wear old stuff from my closet. :cry:
I would soo appreicate it if different designers kept their style and identity..Chanel is a great example. :heart:

Fashion is so fickle. And it's bad for those who are impulsive like me. When a trend first arrives, I get excited and seem to like it. But after a month or so..I hatehatehate it..and ultimately, end up hating whatever I bought from that season.
I just try to keep a steady eye like AndoraStar said. I try to keep to things I like, things that are close to my personal style and personality. It's a hard job though - when you're thrown with these beautiful advertising campaigns and magazine articles on what's in and out..ahh..it's so hard to find yourself amongst all this!
In an ideal world, trends wouldn't exist. Each designer and shop would have it's own little aura and identity, we would all keep to what is close to us.
But I have doubt that that'll ever happen..:(:innocent:

I don't know....I think fashion moves too fast and moves at a good pace sometimes. There are designers who move very quickly and those who developed a signature style....but even that can get a bit stale sometimes if it's not constantly being developed and furthered, which can be quite tricky (ie. Narcisco Rodriguez and Calvin Klein)....so interjecting new ideas into these labels...is fine. Some ideas only have a certain amount to them...i mean, you can only develop some things so far.

One of the things I love about fashion is that it's constantly changing and moving....i need that pace to constantly feel inspired....but it doesn't mean I ignore my classics either. Personally I found the s/s 06 collections to be quite 'dead' and if thats the case then I'll make what i want and find what I want elsewhere. I just agree with the last woman when she said that we ultimately decide what we wear and the pace....i might have something from this past summer that is still inspiring me and so i'll wear it next....if i have a garment that I think is still genious...well then I'll still wear it. I don't know...I realize this is a bit of a jumbled post but I hope someone can take something from it :flower:

Fashion is moving so fast its confusing, and I wonder if its also a desesparate measure from retailers to woo the customer by constantly offering something new. If they stuck to a look for longer, in my opinion it would give the consumer more confidence to part with their money, as there would be more certainty that the look would still be around at a later stage instead of dying a quick death..

I so agree with basically everything said.

I prefer style over fashion because fashion is so fleeting, more so than ever now... The great fashion houses and designers have (or had...) a recognizable signature style, an almost elusive personal touch; that's what made them great. If you take that away, what's left...?

Nothing but the quest to churn out the next IT bag and make a quick buck? Designers, or more likely owners/CEOs, seem to think they don't need to plan ahead, be cohesive and build/maintain brands. They just spend a few heaps more on advertising and think that's the answer. But is it really? There is such a thing as overexposure after all. I don't know why it hasn't come yet, and maybe there won't be one for once, but I'm waiting and hoping for a huge backlash...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->