Trend Zeitgeist: what's next for cutting edge?

VICTIM said:
here (London) it seems to be that the youth are moving on from that whole ballet flats 60's thing to really crazy colours like neon jeans and glow in the dark t-shirts look at the band KLAXONS and designers like Casette Playa, Marjan Pejoski (sp?) and Deryk Walker, going ot clubs like Family, All You Can Eat and Anti-Social. though maybe this is a sort of subculture i'm not entirely sure. oh and reading SUPER SUPER magazine :woot: :lol: :heart:

It started as a subculture, the Party Monster subculture, but like all good 'underground' things, has become much more popular of late. Ha, blame The Klaxons, and the 'neu rave'.

i think..there has been a change
i see more people in..hum..'scene' clothing than before

i can see the difference just by flipping through seventeen or teen people...the clothing has changed from couple years..though i dont like what they put in teen people or seventeen(it more 'scene' than TP)..but the clothes arent as boring as before

teen vogue didnt really change much..since it's so upclose on runway looks

like people said before..not everyone is fashion savy or willing to take the time to dress

olivermorgan said:
It started as a subculture, the Party Monster subculture, but like all good 'underground' things, has become much more popular of late. Ha, blame The Klaxons, and the 'neu rave'.

i love this nu rave thing klaxons are really good and carri's clothes for casette playa are really cool - cartoon couture:lol:

kisa said:
I think if you mean like how things 'went' (in the most general way) boho, mod-inspired etc. I think the next one will be grunge. I guess it kind of works, sleek mod is the opposite of ornate boho, and grungy grunge is the opposite sleek of mod? :ninja:

i honestly see the 'i dont care about fashion' trend catching up big time, its like a fussion of anything , could be neon, 80's punk, victorian, vintage, rock, grunge, and ladychic all thrown together ^_^ :heart:

trend forecast offices report that 'global' kids, just get bored with over defined styles, they find it 'old attitude' and revolt with crazy/crative mixing and adapting a whole diverse range of styles

actually i find this a new attitude, its fresh :wink:

VICTIM said:
i love this nu rave thing klaxons are really good and carri's clothes for casette playa are really cool - cartoon couture:lol:

god yes! i really do want those neon pink panda print joggers for the gym, just wonderful :lol:

I just bought a neon pink and fluro green stripey tee from a "cheap and cheerfull" shop in Australia, so new mixitmood is spreading fast around the world. I have no excuse, I'm old enough to have done this look first time round, and wish I had kept all my fluro stripey socks I used to wear in the 80's!!

Lena said:
i honestly see the 'i dont care about fashion' trend catching up big time, its like a fussion of anything , could be neon, 80's punk, victorian, vintage, rock, grunge, and ladychic all thrown together ^_^ :heart:

trend forecast offices report that 'global' kids, just get bored with over defined styles, they find it 'old attitude' and revolt with crazy/crative mixing and adapting a whole diverse range of styles

I wouldn't mind that at all, at least to some extent, I kind of like the structure that a trend du jour creates. ^_^ I just have this conspiracy theory that the fashion industry is always trying to trick us into buying new things, so they keep pushing the opposite of whatever the last thing was. Trust no one and all that. :P

Lena said:

Yeah, and I think it's all very remniscient of the Harajuku kids in Japan (though not always as extreme as they are). There's kind of a "i love evrything" attutude to it all, but also a kind of frustration at there being few things that can be labelled truly new or original these days. It's very Postmodern.

Lena said:
as for a 'new wave' i think the i-dont-care-how-i-look attitude is been catching up, the more outrage, the better.. young kids just want to have lots and lots of fun, they dont care what the catwalks 'direct' and if they can they just go 'against' the 'establishment' trend direction (makes sense to me)

Funny you say this Lena... Athens to me seems to be lacking in style... a walk around town illustrates that there's generally a lack of fashion vision ... even fashion awareness... people (with little exception) seem to be just followers rather than anti-establishment pioneers... and quite late ones to be honest... :unsure:

This is especially obvious if you flick through fashion magazines and the suggestions they offer... disastrous...:ninja: I won't even mention the high-street shop windows (not that the expensive ones are THAT original)..

Even when I go out at night (I visit quite regularly), there's rarely a person who catches my eye in terms of fashion and personal style... even if they do, it's for all the wrong reasons... :doh:

I don't know... :unsure: I'm quite disappointed in athenian style...

I'd really appreciate your opinion on this...:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pastry said:
why not just say "sun-bleached dress" instead of "chanel dress"

it's cool to like certain brand names, but to me, the association is with their fantasy (lanvin, ann dem., even prada have a world they like to create) and it's personal. by no means is it for other people to know.

I like that... :heart:

:blink: melt, what Athens streetstyle has to do with this?
feel free to PM me, i wont ruin this thread by going off topic, sorry

I think the style of the tiems has really been about diversification, mixing and recycling and I don't think we are really going to see a change in that in this decade. May be because we are at a point where we are moving closer to the 'future' and entering a technology age, people don't really know what to do. Or may be because there has been so much created and there is so much choice. Anyways I don't think in the future there is going to be as much massive fashion trends/changes because of how many subcultures, styles, choices, etc that exist in this age.

I do think in terms of new trends a reemergence of late 80s/90s styles like grunge, minimalism and as Victim said nue rave/club kid thing. I think it probably has to do with the fact that the generation entering their early adulthood where chidlren in the early 90s.

Lena said:
:blink: melt, what Athens streetstyle has to do with this?
feel free to PM me, i wont ruin this thread by going off topic, sorry

Oh! I'm sorry... Your post starts with a report to what you see happening in Athens right now, and I thought that your "kids dressing against fashion establisment" prediction was refering to Athens too... and since I hardly ever see anything fresh starting in athens fashion-wise, I was wondering how did you come to that conclusion... :flower:

If any of the moderators see this post, may I suggest a thread title change? Such a boring title for such an interesting conversation. How about "Trend Zeitgeist: what's next for cutting edge"?

...but back to the topic at hand. I firmly believe that the average fashion consumer has become more aware of the trends. MUXU's comment got me thinking back to my old Seventeen magazines from the 90's and true enough, the fashion was pretty boring back then. More daring trends were left on the runway and teenage fashion didn't see much trickle down. These days the magazines, even for teenagers who don't (usually) have money for Peter Som and Proenza Schouler, have become much more fashion aware. Why? Because anyone can walk into Zara or Mango and buy near-exact knock offs of Peter Som and Proenza Schouler.

At the same time, I also agree that most (gasp!) people either don't care about trends or don't have the time/money to follow them. I applaud people (in my mind) when I see that they have really tried to look put-together. Even if they completely fail (as they often do), they put in the effort.

...but back to the topic. Are there cutting edge dressers out there? Sure. Just look at Last Night's Party.com and simillar sites. This "trashionista" movement is certainly in line with the idea of anti-fashion. Do I hate it or love it? ....er, do I have to be honest?

In the end, anyone who has a keen sense of style and strong personal tastes can step into H&M or a second hand store and "discover" the next big thing. What do I mean? The next big thing is whatever you inexplicably love and are willing to experiement with in public. For me last spring this was high, high empire waisted dresses made from tops worn with a skirt hiked up to under my bust and belted there. Everyone thought I was pregnant but I loved the easy shape and didn't mind the confusion.

For the truely intrepid, wear what you want...and often fashion will follow.

Lena said:

The Kids Are Alright!!!:mohawk:

I feel in my artificial Edelkoort limb that this is bound to happen. Blame the streetstyle blogs and party-pic pages for even making "personal style" ubiquitous these days.

Actually, I find more and more a divergence between the street and runway. The clothes in the trendier, cheap boutiques around don't look too much like the mainstream designers, the Ralph Laurens, Anna Suis, YSLs, etc. Even the clothes on celebrities on red carpet, although they are the "latest" big name designer wear, look extremely tired and "old fashion", the same "good taste prom dress". The things I see these past two years are still strong on Op-Art, vaguely 80s, layers, bigger, shorter sleeves, colours but not bright, neon colours, all manners of gathered, ruched, baggy shorts shorts, fun, giant bags and yes leggings everywhere. The only runway designers that seem to be "getting" this are Tsumori Chisato, Bernard Wilhelm, etc. :smile:

I always thought Australia was behind in fashion but I come on here and read about so many trends that were here months ago including fluro 80s kids .
http://www.stevieon.com/

Anyway celebrity culture creates such a high turnover in trends , shops are all recreating pieces , leeching design and inspiration to create legions of copycats who are supposedly fashion savvy but they're not really they're copying celebrities who for the most part are told or given what to wear by their stylists or they get given free clothes purely for being famous.

So I think fashion is in a state of several divergences. A divide between those who want quantity and those who want quality.

I think the trend for diffusion ranges and collaborations between high street shops should be noted too are designers trying to reach those who really love high fashion but can't afford it , rather than sell to people who wear things purely for style kudos. I don't know I'm rambling.

Then you have the apparent trend for organic clothing , I find fashion extremely interesting at the moment from an analytical view point.

Has anyone noted the mainstreem media catching up to developments in streetwear at the moment there seem to have been quite a few articles.

I agree with Stylebites, and everyone else who says that mixing it up and discovering new shapes is the new trend in clothing. Most of the things I'm seeing are pretty retro though, or have a slight vintage vibe. Don't get me wrong, I love both, but I am wondering if we're going to see any new styles any time soon.

I mean, all the past decades have had their "signature" styles, and it seems like all we're doing is revisiting them in different combinations. Of course, maybe in the 70s etc. people also merely considered the styles that we now think define the period as reworkings of previous trends (I'm just guessing here :smile: ). So maybe that after this mixing craze we'll see something more minimalistic, less retro rising.

The new focus on shape and volume this fall maybe means that we'll all start wearing simpler, more tailored pieces soon... I also remember reading a post on Issey Miyake which described a method that he has invented for weaving entire garments without cutting or sewing... so maybe fashion and technology will become more linked. Who knows?

i think the change in fashion trends is driven by the internet.

every niche under the stars has a myspace, an msn group, a live journal community and a vast panoply of blogs all devoted to pushing its agenda without the constraints of time and space*. this has several consequences, most of which i am to lazy/stupid to go in to.
some of these consequences should contribute to the above fragmentation, lack of direction and reduced life span of trends as the world is reduced to one desperate, pyrrhic sh*tfight for eyeballs.this attention melee crates a massive arms race for content, forcing people to hop from one new extreme to next shiny thing at an ever accelerating pace, messing with the delicate sociological factors that create trends by giving everyone to much information and to many choices all time.

it has become very simple to discover, imitate and participate in any sort of culture one wishes to.

i love being wrong.

*that and the fact that a bunch of hormonal teenagers, raised on mtv, microsoft windows and redbull is in charge of this environment (imagine being choosing to look at billions of melted lego bricks all screaming "look at me, look at me !!!").

LOL "neu rave"? I am an old raver I guess. :rolleyes: I wore the neon stuff as a child in the 80's and did the 90's big pants glowsticks and neon striped t-shirts as well as a teen at NASA. Anybody remember that party? Third time around...? I think I might be too old for it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannah Ursula
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->