Is it tacky to wear fake diamonds? Or is it wrong to buy real ones?

Yanka

Reaction score
I was meaning to gather some opinions about it for ages. I've never been a fan of diamonds or stones in general, but recently I started to appreciate them more and more. My mother is really into jewlery and even used to work as a gemologist for a while. She'd rather buy a diamond ring than a car. She is also the one who always told me, it's better to wear nothing rather than a fake diamond. Sometimes I see really cute "bling", especially the more expensive imitaton stuff like swarovski, some things there don't look tacky at all and I'm tempted to buy. But I have my mother's mantra stuck in my head. On the other hand, diamonds, not to mention, expensive, also have a pretty horrible reputation. Like fur, some people consider it ignorant and unethical, even borderline criminal to buy real diamonds. What's your opinion? :huh:

i'm guessing you just saw blood diamond? i see diamonds to be as unethical as fur. in my opinion if you want that look then get another stone or wear it fake. faux fur isnt seen as tacky so i dont see why fake diamonds would be.

I don't think fake diamonds are tacky if the design is good. Also real stones can be tacky if the design looks cheap. If the diamonds are produced in a unethical way, one should not buy them.

I feel like there are so many more beautiful gems out there than diamonds, and if you don't think something fake looks tacky or bad then don't worry about it, go for it. Also hitting up the antique stores for jewelry is always a great idea -tons of unique jewelry and even some diamonds if you must.

And could someone please explain to me how minning/having diamonds can be unethical?

danigonz said:
i'm guessing you just saw blood diamond? i see diamonds to be as unethical as fur. in my opinion if you want that look then get another stone or wear it fake. faux fur isnt seen as tacky so i dont see why fake diamonds would be.

No, actually, I didn't see it yet. Is it good? I heard a lot of things from different sources. Diamond doesn't have to be "conflict" to be bloody. Apparently in a lot of african places the miners are working in terrible conditions, many are under 16, the workers make no profit, mining is polluting the soil, de beers is the evil mastermind of the world etc. Some people don't even want to be seen as if they're wearing diamonds. On the other hand, I know people who go :yuk: even looking at a crystal ring.

^^ You're very welcome! :flower: It's an interesting question and a very sad issue. So many beautiful things are brought to us at the expense of people, animals and the planet. I'm glad lots of people are having second thoughts about that kind of improper consumption. If we stop buying things that cause damage and harm, our commercial world can change a great deal!

If you wander the streets of New York as I do these days, only fake diamonds and pearls are 'safe'. I mostly wear plastics on the street. They are fun, colorful and no one wants to grab things off my body!

Last edited by a moderator:
as mentioned in that article, canadian diamonds are a great way to go, and don't worry about unethical working environments...my cousin went north for a mere 6 weeks to work at a diamond mine, and came home with a paycheck equal to what I make in a year!

lost.fashion said:
...my cousin went north for a mere 6 weeks to work at a diamond mine, and came home with a paycheck equal to what I make in a year!

Where is 'north'?

^i'm assuming she meant "north: as in north of the us, into canada?

after doing research, i think i would only buy a diamond from tiffanys if i am ever in the market. tiffany along with zale's was one of only FIVE companies in the US that were able to provide a written policy stating their commitment to the Kimberley Process (designed to prevent the sale of conflict/blood diamonds). that being said, i think swarovski makes some beautiful things.

I love Swarovski crystal that is cut like crystal, like the roundish beads. So pretty. :smile:

By north I think we are probably talking about the Northwest Territories or possibly Nunavut or northern Ontario, I'm not sure if diamond mines have been opened there yet.

I think it's tacky only if someone wears a fake diamond and tries to pass it off as a real one.

Diamond, real or fake, are wrong.

Real diamonds are most likely from conflict areas where the diamond trade fuels violent conflict. It's not just Sierra Leone from the 1990s, either. It's like the runner up to how horrible rubber production in the Congo was since the beginning of colonialism.

Fake diamonds fuel demand/supply, so that people continue to think that a diamond, which is totally worthless, is something to covet.

pichu888 said:
^i'm assuming she meant "north: as in north of the us, into canada?

after doing research, i think i would only buy a diamond from tiffanys if i am ever in the market. tiffany along with zale's was one of only FIVE companies in the US that were able to provide a written policy stating their commitment to the Kimberley Process (designed to prevent the sale of conflict/blood diamonds). that being said, i think swarovski makes some beautiful things.

The Kimberley process is a joke, and if you buy a "certified" "conflict-free" diamond, then you are almost as repugnant as if you just bought a diamond from some back alley gem dealer.

legaldiva said:
Diamond, real or fake, are wrong.

Real diamonds are most likely from conflict areas where the diamond trade fuels violent conflict. It's not just Sierra Leone from the 1990s, either. It's like the runner up to how horrible rubber production in the Congo was since the beginning of colonialism.

Fake diamonds fuel demand/supply, so that people continue to think that a diamond, which is totally worthless, is something to covet.

that is one the best answers ever given on TFS!!!

I agree w/ LegalDiva, diamonds...It's just a ROCK! And gold is just METAL...

...and money is just paper. We are the ones that gives the value of the things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->