Is it tacky to wear fake diamonds? Or is it wrong to buy real ones?

legal diva - i'd love to see some links regarding the Kimberly Process. Like a lot of international processes they tend to break down somewhere along the way.

There ARE some conflict-free diamonds in Canada but the ethics of fuelling supply and demand and who actually owns the mines, etc still come into play.

I know diamonds are worthless, just a rock... you can apply the same logic and say a galliano dress is just a bunch of fabric sewn together, albeit it's rare in its beauty and execution and everyone wants one, like a diamond. The difference is, a dress doesn't leave people to starve.

You think everyone who works in the garment industry across the board is paid fairly??

brbrry If you ever run for treasurer, let me know. You would most certainly have my vote! :flower: I completely agree with you about money, and I think the same holds true for just about everything. It is the individual who ultimately decides what is valuable, and why.

Frankly, I don't think anyone in the garment industry is fairly paid. There is something lost in the commercial process from concept to execution of a design, at someone's expense. That's the nature of commerce.

I wonder how much bartering goes on? I am aware that designers are constantly sending samples to public figures in an attempt to gain free advertising. That must be a cost that is passed on to the general consumer.

The economics of fashion are horrendously complex. The diamond industry, both 'new', fake and secondary market, is a total hoax. The prices are fixed from start to finish. Imagine what the price of a diamond would be if no one purchased them?

Who sponsors the rating systems for conflict free, fair use, organic, renewable resource, and who funds the organizations who issue such certifications? Follow the money. Wouldn't it be great if we had a barter page on tFS, where members could swap clothes? It could be really interesting, how we determine the value of things. Hmmmm.... would anyone buy diamonds here? Aren't they rather like fur?

Last edited by a moderator:
What does everyone think would be a good alternative to a diamond engagement ring? I keep giving my boyfriend info on diamonds that are -probably- conflict free, like Hearts On Fire or Canadian diamonds, but still, the thought of all that money spent on something so small and useless makes me feel irresponsible. Yet the girl in me wants sparkly things. If not diamonds, what else?

Fake diamonds fuel demand/supply, so that people continue to think that a diamond, which is totally worthless, is something to covet.

Don't you think it's possible that fake diamonds could hurt demand for real diamonds since others would have no idea what you were wearing unless you told them otherwise?

As for me, I'm not a big fan of diamonds for everyone because they are thief bait. I can see it for special occasions, but for everday, I think one who wears diamonds, big diamonds, runs the risk of attracting those that mean to do harm.

Personally, I'm easy. I want it to glitter and shine, I get guilt free diamonds (at those prices, SAYONARA!) or Swarovskis. Seriously, when you are properly dressed, you could make plastic pass as diamonds. It's about the STYLE.

Just don't sell fakes as real ones, and we're talking.

Plus, I got this ugly obsession with being covered in glittery goodness stones. Like, HUGE necklaces, bracelets, rings, just sparkling! (not gangsta hiphop style, that's gross) And that look is impossible with diamonds, as long as you don't wanna walk around worth more than a small country. (I blame Plum Sykes for that obsession)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->