Ivy League/Preppy Style

today, just for kicks, and to see what kinda looks i would get at this fashion depraved office i work at, i wore --

- bright blue lacoste polo tucked in of course
- khaki's -- starched just right with the creases
- ralph lauren bright green ribbon belt
- slicked my long hair back into a nice preppy part
- donned the cartier
- tied a yellow sweater around my shoulders
- AND the piece de resistance! white bucks and bright green agryle socks!

i've gotten alot of compliments from the ladies. i think all the guys just think i'm gay though, hahaha --

Originally posted by sbbbjm@Jun 10th, 2004 - 10:45 am
today, just for kicks, and to see what kinda looks i would get at this fashion depraved office i work at, i wore --

- bright blue lacoste polo tucked in of course
- khaki's -- starched just right with the creases
- ralph lauren bright green ribbon belt
- slicked my long hair back into a nice preppy part
- donned the cartier
- tied a yellow sweater around my shoulders
- AND the piece de resistance! white bucks and bright green agryle socks!

i've gotten alot of compliments from the ladies. i think all the guys just think i'm gay though, hahaha --
That's sounds so chic!!! *jealous* :P :wink:

Oooo, all these outfits sound exciting! :flower:
I would love some inspirational pics, if anyone has them! :heart: :heart:

For a while I hated the preppy look, but lately a lot of my basic wardrobe pieces are very preppy. My favorite preppy look (only in the fall and winter) is a crism white mantaylor worn under a fabulous cashmere sweater with cuffed up jeans and Gucci horsebit loafers. It is a little less gag-worthy than your typical preppy look, and a little modernized.

Ralph Lauren is perfect preppy.
I like flared, seriously pleated skirts,long or short, ballet flats, and a long-sleeved, nicely creased shirt with sleeves rolled up. Maybe a tie to complete the look as well.
i know, it's sounding more weird than preppy :blush:

while i disagree that these are like a trend (bc i think people has ALWAYS dressed like this) i must say that all of this mix and match color is a wonderful thing when pulled off correctly (i think of a florescent shirt with traditional suit with an even more bold colored belt or suspenders)

Originally posted by mikeijames@Jun 24th, 2004 - 12:12 pm
while i disagree that these are like a trend (bc i think people has ALWAYS dressed like this) i must say that all of this mix and match color is a wonderful thing when pulled off correctly (i think of a florescent shirt with traditional suit with an even more bold colored belt or suspenders)
OOOH! you are SO good! i'm so gonna try that!

i agree too about how prepy has always been around. it just goes through its phases of being fashionable and not.

when i think of preppy i think of this, maybe not so much bright stuff at once though

Originally posted by prixi@Jun 24th, 2004 - 11:09 am
Ralph Lauren is perfect preppy.
I like flared, seriously pleated skirts,long or short, ballet flats, and a long-sleeved, nicely creased shirt with sleeves rolled up. Maybe a tie to complete the look as well.
i know, it's sounding more weird than preppy :blush:
i get ya totally!

i dunno what it is about preppy. lately thats how i've been dressing all the time. like i dont even have to think twice about whether a certain preppy look is gonna look wrong or not on me. its the otherway around if i try to be a little more daring. i guess cuz its just classic, and classic stands the test of time.

From HeraldNet.com

Published: Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Preppy look is back
Button up and slide into those boots, a new twist on the conservative look is coming this fall.

By Anne D'innocenzio
Associated Press

NEW YORK - The preppy look is back.

Clothing stores that cater to teenagers and young adults are stocking up for fall with tweeds and plaids that harken back to the late 1970s, and hoping they will appeal to a new generation of customers.

It's a big change after several years of selling low-rise jeans and other grungy or revealing clothes. Still, it's not a complete return to the past; the latest preppy incarnation includes clothes that are much more form-fitting than the fashions this young crowd's parents used to wear.

Polo shirts and cable knit and argyle-patterned sweaters are slimmer and in bright colors like tangerine, orange and hot pink. And tweed and plaid blazers are cropped and tight-fitting.

"This is new-age preppy," said Wendy Liebmann, president of WSL Strategic Retail, a consulting firm in New York.

Here are some looks for fall:

* Lacoste, one of the preppy icons in the late 1970s, has tighter-fitting polo shirts for men. The company slimmed down its women's polo shirts a few years ago and is now expanding to stretch buttoned-down shirts and adding jackets and coats for women.

* L.L. Bean Inc., whose trademark boots and canvas bags were part of the preppy uniform in the 1970s, came out with new twists on its original items, including slip-on boots and clogs over the past year, and has added new colors for fall.

* J. Crew Inc. is featuring corduroy pants in bright colors such as citrus pink and coral orange, and pairing them with pre-washed corduroy blazers.

* American Eagle Outfitters Inc. is expanding its selection of polo shirts and plaid blazers.

These styles are part of an overall return to more subdued fashions after an abundance of revealing clothes such as low-rise pants and midriff tops. Industry watchers believe the new styles are not a fad.

"You are looking at the beginning of another lifestyle shift, from bare it all to bare a little less," said Marshal Cohen, senior industry analyst at NPD Group Inc., a market research company in Port Washington, N.Y.

While low-slung pants are likely to remain popular, "kids started to feel uncomfortable. How much lower could (the waistlines) go?" he said.

Even teen clothing retailer Abercrombie & Fitch, Inc., whose catalogs have been criticized for young, scantily clad or nude models, has embraced a tamer approach.

Cohen believes kids are becoming more conservative than their parents. "Mom is still dressing like the 14-year-old, and kids are becoming more conservative," he said.

Many parents welcome the change.

"I am not a prude, but it has been distressing to see all those low-rise pants and belly tops out there. The clothes have been too revealing," said Rajean Blomquist of Dayton, Ohio, who has spent less on clothes for her children the past few years.

Blomquist expects to spend more this back-to-school season on the new styles.

One of her daughters, Emily Snow, 13, said she has stayed away from very low-rise pants, though her friends wear some of the more provocative clothing.

"Their style isn't my style," she said.

The fashion industry is hoping for a big improvement over 2003's disappointing back-to-school season, when apparel spending declined 2.8 percent to $39.5 billion from a year earlier, according to NPD. A pickup in sales since Jan. 1 is contributing to merchants' growing optimism.

"We're now back to icons. This is a much more broadly accepted fashion statement," said Joe Teklits, an analyst at Wachovia Securities.

Meanwhile, Abercrombie and Fitch and American Eagle, both of which stumbled during last year's back-to-school season, are counting on a much-improved fall, after enjoying a strong spring season.

"We're definitely on a roll," said Michael Leedy, chief marketing officer at American Eagle.

Associated Press

J. Crew's August catalog shows one of the tighter-fitting preppy styles that the retailer is offering for fall.

i can't believe I forgot to reply with photos. here's one and I WILL be uploading more....Gosh! I feel like such a liar! :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this polo sweater. I think i may purchase it.

Originally posted by TheSweetest@Jun 25th, 2004 - 8:15 pm
i can't believe I forgot to reply with photos. here's one and I WILL be uploading more....Gosh! I feel like such a liar! :cry:
OH I love that....nice, clean colors...where is that from?

I suppose I'm dress prep/sophisticated with an edge. A little of the Olsens, a little Kirsten Dunst (although that's mostly when she's casual...I saw a picture of her wearing the nearly same thing I often wear - button down shirts with a ragged-hem miniskirt, and I'll roll up the sleeves and wear a leather cuff on one wrist.

I think H Hilfiger has some good "prep" items - I recently bought a sky blue and gold striped blazer from them that has a fantastic fit that looks great with a simple white, beige or blue tank top and my favourite Abercrombie miniskirt.

For polos, I lean towards Lacoste, Abercrombie, Hollister, and Polo Ralph Lauren (although for RL, they need to be slim fit).

I think prep is good, as long as you add one or two items which kind of jazz it up a bit...at least, for myself, that's the rule I follow. :smile:

i also love this style minus the shoes. they are way too bulky for my taste. i would have to wear them with something else.

Originally posted by TheSweetest@Jun 27th, 2004 - 1:13 am
i also love this style minus the shoes. they are way too bulky for my taste. i would have to wear them with something else.
I LOOVE that one.
With the pointy pumps it's more of a power woman look..I'd wear it with ballet flats.
Wait..I'm trying to imagine pink ballet flats with that :unsure: :wink:

Originally posted by prixi+Jun 27th, 2004 - 2:40 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (prixi @ Jun 27th, 2004 - 2:40 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TheSweetest@Jun 27th, 2004 - 1:13 am
I LOOVE that one.
With the pointy pumps it's more of a power woman look..I'd wear it with ballet flats.
Wait..I'm trying to imagine pink ballet flats with that :unsure: :wink: [/b][/quote]
I can totally vision the outfit with ballet flats... satin pale pink ballet flats. Much better than the chunky black shoes as shown in the pic.

I like the Ralph Lauren V-neck sweaters and an open dress shirt underneath. You can get them in all diff. kinds of colours. :flower:

Hmmm , let me see , I almost like always wear a red and black mini kilt , a black ramones t-shirt , have orange hair ( well TODAY i do anyway ) wear usualy red and black stiped tights or over knees and Doc martins . Would then make me the ANTI-prep ? :P :P :P

Hmmm , let me see , I almost like always wear a red and black mini kilt , a black ramones t-shirt , have orange hair ( well TODAY i do anyway ) wear usualy red and black stiped tights or over knees and Doc martins . Would then make me the ANTI-prep ?

I think Doc Martins were the origional Prep shoe and probably still are :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->