Votes: 78 34.4%
  • Alexander McQueen

Votes: 149 65.6%
  • John Galliano

Votes: 78 34.4%
  • Alexander McQueen

Votes: 147 64.8%

• Total voters
I voted McQueen, because I think he's more wearable. Sometimes Galliano's clothes are just too... crazy and strung-out.
I did like s/s 07 Dior and Galliano collections though, because they showed a more mellow and wearable Galliano.

Hm... I Like Galliano More... I Dont Know Why..i Always Liked His Stuff... I Never Were Intresting In Mcqueen...

Galliano, of course darlin´

It is something rare try to say who is the better
because I dont like anything that McQueen Does
nothing really...

Anyway Mc Queen is one of the best designers of the world
and Galliano is one of the best designers of the world, too

But it is the way how Galliano
understands beauty and gives me
an exquisite way to see
beauty and art on clothes with a wild passion
Galliano understands all extremes
from barroque until minimalism
and that`s really
delicious for me
:brows:
But If you wanna know who is the best? John Galliano is the best!!
I am sure!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't decide. At first I'd say Galliano when he was good, he was good. In his early days, he made couture accessible and just classically beautiful. And his originality reached a mainstream that McQueen might never tap into.

But McQueen kicked *** this season...
And he's all about the New Look on acid (I think)
And it seems that he will never, ever run out of ideas.

Decisions, decisions :cry:

I'm one of the bunch who honestly can't choose. I regard them equally as they are evenly matched, though with different strengths. McQueen is a tailor, Galliano is a dressmaker, each with an exquisite attention to detail and creativity.

My deciding factor is ultimately that Galliano has been doing the theatrical, dramatic take on fashion for much longer than McQueen has. Also, as of late I find his work much more creative, McQueen has somewhat lost his edge. Still, I love and admire both of their work.

John is always on the forefront of fashion, he is a trend setter for sure, and i always loved the way he thanks his audiences at the end of the show, such a star. While Alex is always into the classical touch, it fails to excite me, it's beautiful , but same old same old.

John Galliano, of course! even though Mcqueen is a genius sometimes, my fave is still Galliano

I knew it would be really hard to decide...

Both have put on great runway shows but Galliano's shows are always more extravagant and grander in proportion. Maybe it's because LVMH is funding him.

At first i couldnt decide because i love them both so much. Galliano more for the show, and McQueen for the clothes. But in the end i swayed McQueen because as far as menswear is concerned, McQueen is much more my taste ^_^

hey Folks.. fashion is about art and no a contest who is beter.. is like living in the fantasy but only in for real.. to wear those clothes to touch and wear that is what they are telling us .. not kill each other like i am better you are bad.. art is just about connecting young folks and old folks.. but not a cantest or something.... get over this nonsense because i like them but.. they have both great minds and imagnition to make us happy.. they are both strong and special .They're so important fashion...get over it folks don't be jalous start a new thread thanxx

Zazie said:
Can some of us also get a button that says Both of them are stuck in a fashion rut and are no longer relevant? :ninja:

I'll take one as well.

They ARE creative geniuses with uncannny ability. However I think they are better at making costume than actual fashion.

Mcqueen's recent forrays into decadent historicism don't contribute much to the current discourse in fashion other than "pretty things are good". Galliano, as good of a cutter as he is, tends to hide his clothes' conventional and mainstream appeal within theatrcial spectacles reliving his club kid days.

Both have done amazing work and have advanced fashion father along than most could hope in their entire career. But sometimes I wonder if they were just in the right place at the right time and their vision has lost its way in a more contempory and cynical world. With the state of the things now there are just so much more interesting fashion concepts than big dresses and romanticized orthodoxy.

Miss Galliano said:
hey Folks.. fashion is about art and no a contest who is beter.. is like living in the fantasy but only in for real.. to wear those clothes to touch and wear that is what they are telling us .. not kill each other like i am better you are bad.. art is just about connecting young folks and old folks.. but not a cantest or something.... get over this nonsense because i like them but.. they have both great minds and imagnition to make us happy.. they are both strong and special .They're so important fashion...get over it folks don't be jalous start a new thread thanxx
:lol: :lol: :lol: You are right, art is not about who is better, it's about the connection. BUT, I can tell by your name that you would choose galliano over mcqueen

They are both uber talented but a lot of the time, Galliano is too gimicky and over the top for me. Sometimes its too much and it disappoints.

Dior hasn't had a good show since Spring 2007 in my opinion.

Plus, McQueen is consistently pushing the boundaries in fashion. He truly is a visionary. Sometimes he gets it 'wrong' but its never boring.

Although I will say his shows are becoming less show-like each season. :innocent:

Even if both are creative and theatrical, I don't believe there is something in common between them
Galliano is about provocation, trash, logo-à-gogo
McQueen is about sensibility, poetry, sometimes outragous, but always romantic or moody
May I add that the references are a little bit more cultural and slightly deeper in McQueen's inspiration (Galliano is about strongly and basically themed collections: circus, dead Marie-Antoinette, rasta-b*tch, etc, whereas the recent McQueen collections *men and women* are all about Gustav Mahler, Thomas Mann and Luchino Visconti for the whole Belle époque + Death in Venice inspiration)

Extremely well written!
I actually also always got in the same mood when I look at McQueen's clothes as when I listen to Mahler.
My vote goes to McQueen.

Even if both are creative and theatrical, I don't believe there is something in common between them
Galliano is about provocation, trash, logo-à-gogo
McQueen is about sensibility, poetry, sometimes outragous, but always romantic or moody
May I add that the references are a little bit more cultural and slightly deeper in McQueen's inspiration (Galliano is about strongly and basically themed collections: circus, dead Marie-Antoinette, rasta-b*tch, etc, whereas the recent McQueen collections *men and women* are all about Gustav Mahler, Thomas Mann and Luchino Visconti for the whole Belle époque + Death in Venice inspiration)

I totally agree with u, I used to love Galliano, but it seems that he has lost all his creativity !!

Galliano is a showman on all levels, but for me personally I think MqQueen has more taste and a better aesthetic overall. Galliano to me seems to be doing the same thing in each collection recently.

I could never pick and overall favorite between the two. Galliano's designs are more about 'fun,' life, lots of energy and humor and exaggerated femininity. McQueen's designs are more poetic, aggressive, darker more gothic (in the original sense of the term). And I wouldn't say one of the aesthetics is better, just different.

McQueen and Galliano have become more and more different as the years have passed. In the 90's, their work was fairly similar in nature, especially McQueen's work for Givenchy...it felt very similar to the stuff Galliano was doing at the same time.

I completely disagree with the idea that McQueen's inspirations are somehow more cultural and refined that Galliano's.

John's recent fall collection was inspired in part by Coleridge's "Kubla Khan", last fall it was Brassai's photography. He's done collections inspired by the Marchesa Casati, Giovanni Boldini, Lord of the Flies, Otto Dix's visions of the Weimar Republic, African fertility goddesses...that's just off the top of my head. So as far as sophistication in their research and inspiration goes, I think they're pretty equally matched.

Just because John's recent collections for Dior have been lacking in both creativity and variety doesn't erase the fact that he helped pioneer the whole story-teller and showman approach to fashion.

I think I'm also less inclined to give so much credit to McQueen because lately his collections have been just as inconsistent as John's. The last truly breathtaking one he did was s/s 07, and the collections both before and after that show have been either safe and blandly commercial or too dramatic (with the exception of f/w 06 which struck a good balance but in reality was nothing new for McQueen). He was on a roll from about 2001-2004, since then he's lost a bit of his edge imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
who is better than who is really a matter of personal preference. i would say mcqueen is better than galliano in my book.
i just watched an hour documentry of john galliano's important fashion shows from the begining of his career. he is definitely a master at bias and circular cutting but it seems like once he hit the spot of being a press and buyer's darling, his designs just kinda froze and the rest of the show i watched in boredom. i didnt even finish the show. like mutterlein said above, he seemed to hide his clothes with elaborate theatre.
i agree he is or was a visionary and definitely had his own style and his own way of approaching fashion but i dont think he's on the forefront of fashion. his designs and shows are always so nostalgic and so historical i dont see it as being innovative or contemporary.

i voted for mcqueen was on a rather selfish reason that i just like his aesthetic and relate to it more than galliano's. though mcqueen is also a showman like galliano, he does it in a more subtle, careful way. in a way that i can still see the clothes and not everything around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denisa Imeraj
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->