Votes: 78 34.4%
  • Alexander McQueen

Votes: 149 65.6%
  • John Galliano

Votes: 78 34.4%
  • Alexander McQueen

Votes: 147 64.8%

• Total voters
John impresses me at times with his clothing, and he definetly paved the way for designers who wanted to tell a story with their collections.But many of his collections lately(Dior and Couture) haven't really done anything for me.I haven't kept up with his namesake label so I can't comment on that.

Alexander has good vision, and in the early 2000's he was making nice things, but he's not my favorite.

It's a hard choice between them ,neither of them are in my list of favorite designers.

As a Dior veteran i have to support John, but, McQueens Issy blow tribute collection was to die for. They're creative designers who both embody different philosophies of fashion in their pieces whether for their houses or own label. Nevertheless for now John G is the best, his couture collections for Dior are glam, sometimes too abstract, but non the less works of art.

If anything John should continue at Dior and I think it would be interesting to see McQueen take over Vivienne Westwood when she retires (not in the near future we hope)

You can't really compare these two. They are both visionaries in their own right. They both draw from history and the results are always amazing. I think their work ethics are the same, just different perspectives. They both result in collections full of fantasy, whether negative or positive.

I seriously love them both, but i've been wowed so many times by Galliano's couture for Dior that it has to go to him.

To me it's like comparing apples and oranges. There's no comparison and you can't really do it because they are both different. They are both creative but I couldn't actually say that I prefer one over the other if I look at each of their body of work as a whole.

I totally agree with all of you who think they cannot be compared, if you think, besides them both being british and from St M, they builted a name under very different sircumstances, Mcqueen became famous for its sharp tailoring, Galliano for its romantic bias cut evening wear, Mcqueen´s vision of a woman is much stronger (his older sister used to be battered by his husband which caused Alexander to create a vision of a very empowered female), Galliano´s woman if by far much more romantic, sexual and passioned (his spanish roots play a huge influence).That´s probably the reason they´ve never been rivals, they are both very true to themselves and yet again so different that there´s room for both in the fashion industry to tell a new story each season.

For me...Mcqueen is always the best.........
His show is unforgetable.....every season...
Everythings in the show works really well togather...
and his clothes always impressed me.......

i understand lately the comparisson between both of them, but from 2005 backwards i never got it.

I don't think it's even worth asking who's better or who's not... they are both great, they are both amazingly talented, they both have a huge imagination and manage to always suprise people and to propose something new. So I think it's worthless to discuss who's better because they both are great at what they do.

Ugh, it's too hard to choose :unsure: I think I'd vote for, all in all, Galliano.

Hmm, reviving this thread now.... Who would've thought such tragedies would happen to both these geniuses? Turns out, there is much more to compare between the two. Does anyone find it interesting; do good things always come to an end? People who manage to get to the top of the ladder, do they always fall and hit rock bottom? Unless they've been completely careful and faultless. I kind of hope Galliano can climb back up...

Anyway, I voted Galliano, though I do also think they are pretty difficult to compare, creativity-wise. I think their minds work completely differently, almost like opposites, and that's what makes them so good. They each bring something different to the table. Who on Earth can possibly replace these two?

They are very hard to compare. What joins them is artistic creativity, which unfortunately often comes with fragility. The sensitivity is needed for the fine tuned touch, but sensitivity is, in another sense, a weakness. Add to this the type of drive that it takes for someone to cease the chances he or she gets and push their way through and you have a scenario that is likely to lead to - at least at times - inner conflicts.

I can't make up my mind about Galliano and McQueen - which one I prefer. On an instinctive level I think it is Galliano because his designs make me feel alive - or should I say more alive - and I need that jolt. On the other hand, I probably have more in common with McQueen's philosophy and mind set. Craftswise they are both impeccable and really above scrutiny. The only thing that hampers my view of Galliano is some of the recent Dior collections - which have been lackluster (obviously excluding all his Couture collections) - but then his eponymous collections have been inspired.

Such a hard choice, however the irony of the OP stating McQueen would be the ideal replacement for Galliano should he leave Dior. I guess although it's very close I would have to say Galliano.

This is an irrelevant and inappropriate poll and subject to discuss. One can simply not compare designers or artists of this caliber with one another. Both have completely different aesthetics and methods of design that couldn't differ more. I can't even believe this is being discussed.

This is an irrelevant and inappropriate poll and subject to discuss. One can simply not compare designers or artists of this caliber with one another. Both have completely different aesthetics and methods of design that couldn't differ more. I can't even believe this is being discussed.

i agree.
especially since McQueen is not alive, and John is in the middle of one of the biggest fashion scandals ever. have some respect!

The fact that they are quite different makes the comparison more interesting. I don't think the thread was meant as anything more than a vehicle for discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->