Jones Group shutters Anne Klein Collection

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
:o
i was shocked by this...
from fashionweekdaily.com

Anne Klein's designer collection has taken its final runway bow.

Jones Apparel Group Inc., which acquired the iconic American brand as part of its purchase of Kasper A.S.L. in 2003, announced Tuesday that it will cease production of the higher-priced Isabel Toledo-designed collection immediately. Instead, the retail group will puts its focus on the brand's bridge Anne Klein New York and better-priced AK Anne Klein collections.

The company, whose total volume is estimated at above $500 million, is not expected to revisit the designer category in the near future.

"We appreciate all that Isabel Toledo has done for the Anne Klein brand through her creative direction," a Jones Apparel spokeswoman said. "Looking forward, Anne Klein is perfectly suited for today's environment and we're continuing to focus on the better and bridge lines."

Toledo presented a total of three collections-two on the runway during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York-but her resort collection, which has been produced and is being shipped, will be her last.The spokeswoman confirmed that the spring collection will not be distributed to retailers that currently carry the label, including Barneys New York, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and specialty boutique Ikram in Chicago. The spokeswoman said that the relationship with Toledo is ending amicably and that she will remain with the company "through the wind down of the designer label," though the exact time frame remained unclear.

Under Toledo's leadership, a halo effect was brought to the entire Anne Klein team, reinvigorating the design team and sending positive ripples through the otherwise lackluster label. Toledo's line for Anne Klein launched with great fanfare this fall, but Jones Apparel had never viewed it as a make-it-or-break-it division due to its small percentage in the company's overall portfolio.

Concentrating on its more price-friendly lines, Jones Apparel relaunched AK Anne Klein as a lifestyle label this fall in line with Toledo's design aesthetic, and added new complementary categories as AK Anne Klein handbags, denim, jewelry, and footwear. AK Anne Klein Sport will debut next spring, followed by an apparel launch next fall.

Anne Klein launched a new, decidedly more artistic ad campaign this fall under the creative direction of Raul Martinez, the chief executive officer and executive creative director of AR, a New York-based advertising agency. The light-infused and dramatic images shot by Philip-Lorca diCorcia, featuring Carolyn Murphy and Stella Tennant at the SUNY Performing Arts Center at Purchase College, represented a renewed spirit in the brand and moved it one step forward in the highly competitive fold of fashion-forward labels.
JIM SHI

and from wwd...

While the upscale line, which launched at retail this fall, was never viewed as a volume business for Jones Apparel, it nevertheless was slated to set a new tone for the entire brand and serve as a halo for the other divisions. Resort, which typically hits stores next month, will be the last shipment.

how disapointing....

i thought isabel was doing really wonderful at ak- definitely brought to my attention the label... but i guess her kind of quirky aesthetic/ and the prices didn't fit so well with ak's more conservative clientele that I typically associate the label with.

thanks for posting this kimair.

I really liked the way the Isabel stuff was looking... pretty, creative and original (the last two words were ones I would never think to use to describe Anne Kline in the past!)

We sell AK Anne Klein at my job... its okay stuff, but very plain.

such a surprise...
they didn't give it much of a chance...

but then it really didn't have much of a chance to start with imo...:(

thanks for sharing the news kim...
:flower:

i really wish they had given it a chance...
they sell it at the barneys here (the only place in sf), and the collection is gorgeous...
some interesting suiting and great knits...
i only wish it were more affordable...

i'll be getting some when sale season hits....^_^

This is disappointing news, but I have to say I'm not surprised. It's a shame, though.

I'm not surprised. I think they gave it long enough.

How disheartening...!!!Isabel's talent should not be wasted any moment

that's a pity, but anne klein is so watered down as a label. a bit like perry ellis. i never saw isabel's line in any european stores. was it only for the american market? ak only sells really dodgy suiting here.

I did mention this company is cursed. I suspected this was going to happen again. Point made: stay away from this company if you're a designer...

Fashion 101: you can masstige all you want and go down in price but you can't upscale your original design offering. Change the name, start a new line but don't think you can charge or change your customer base for a better, richer one! It's never worked.

they sell it an London too... But I agree, Ann Klein is doomed. I remember in the 90s they had all those licensed labels with watches, sunglasses, it was just boring... and cheap. I guess it's the trend now - first Helmut Lang, now this. It's like H&M goes upscale while everything else goes down.

^innit ironic?! :rolleyes: mass market now seems more important than actual purist labels.

it's incredibly disheartening,indeed,as i thought,wow,finally isobel will get her chance to shine after so many years of slogging away and just being known merely as the designer wife of ruben. but yet again,they put her into background where i don't know many will never get to really embrace her work. because truly she is a ny original.

That's too bad. Personally I wasn't really a fan of her collections for AK, not really my taste, but they seemed very woman friendly and much fresher than anything I've ever seen from Anne Klein. She gave the name a certain credibility as a true fashion label.

just took a look at this collection for spring, which will not make it into stores. the dresses with the floral prints near the end of the lookbook are lovely. they said resort will ship but that's it, I wonder which pieces will be the resort ones. one door closes so another will open.

how disappointing.

i really liked the work she was doing for them.

Not suprised. But she did bring some sort of attention (for me) to the brand. She was like one of four NY shows I check. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sb0rraxt3
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->