Junya Watanabe Collection Pictures from the 1990's

more karma for you travolta...
great thread...

are straight men ever attracted to women who dress this way?...
just wondering...
since i'm all single and that...:innocent:

softgrey said:
great thread...

just wondering...

of course! i mean the artistic savvy ones...they'll say quirky is a hot quality. :rolleyes:
but then again, in my experience their dream women are bjork, or someone like her...:innocent: :heart: anyways, i was waiting to 'go out' tonite, unfortunately that didn't work so now i find myself thinking the next best thing is posting pics of inspiring fashion! at least i don't have to dress up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Incredible. How can a person be so talented?

Softgrey, for what it is worth, I recently talked a friend into buying one of the s/s 2000 dresses that you can unzip to change its colors on ebay. Within weeks of the dress arriving she found out she was pregnant and her boyfriend proposed to her. I think it is the dress that did it.

the f/w 1998 reminds me when i used to wear turtle necks and wrap wire in the neck

00038.L.JPG

unfortunately, it was 'painful' fashion w/ all the sharp ends :wacko:

haruki! :heart: :heart: love that

Last edited by a moderator:
Incredible. I really wish I could add this to a "favorite threads" somehow to come back here forever and ever

after surveying this handful of collections together, what do you think?? i'd like the hear your thoughts. i agree w/ haruki..this man's talent is immense..i think his approach reminds me of issey miyake-- they both started out experimenting, and moved on to use synthetic fibers heavily in their pieces, simply because they broke all the old rules, and now watanabe is going back to really elegant, functional solutions...btw what are his prices like? i would love to see him contribute a more affordable line of clothing

travolta said:
the f/w 1998 reminds me when i used to wear turtle necks and wrap wire in the neck

00038.L.JPG

unfortunately, it was 'painful' fashion w/ all the sharp ends :wacko:

that's one of my favorite pieces from that collection! when i first saw that show i wanted to do that to all my turtles but i couldn't bear it if they got ruined. i'm glad you did it, even if it was painful! but you know, good style does have its consequences

:lol:

travolta said:
after surveying this handful of collections together, what do you think?? i'd like the hear your thoughts. i agree w/ haruki..this man's talent is immense..i think his approach reminds me of issey miyake-- they both started out experimenting, and moved on to use synthetic fibers heavily in their pieces, simply because they broke all the old rules, and now watanabe is going back to really elegant, functional solutions...btw what are his prices like? i would love to see him contribute a more affordable line of clothing

Watanabe pricing can be shockingly high. Some of his zipped and emroidered pieces fom this season are very expensive indeed. In general I'd say you were looking at £200 ish for a shirt, around £300-£400 for a skirt and upwards of £700 for dresses. Jackets start at about £4/500.His mens' parkas this season got up to nearly £900!! It's not cheap.

I agree about it being a good idea if he created a more affordable line, but it's really never going to be like that. It's made in Japan for a start, so cost will be high, and it will always be even more expensive in US and Europe. Also his work can be quite intricate, using expensive detailing and fabrics.

i think i want a junya wedding dress. maybe not a dress designed specifically to be a wedding dress, but i'd wear one to my wedding.

softgrey said:
great thread...

just wondering...

yes. although having said that, i've never actually seen one in real life. But still, the answer is yes.

Johnny said:
yes. although having said that, i've never actually seen one in real life. But still, the answer is yes.

johnny -
you've never actually seen a *woman* who dresses like this in real life? or
you've never actually seen a *man* who is attracted to women who dress like this, in real life?

curious minds want to know!

travolta, i have gotten so much pleasure out of this thread. i followed your link to firstView and looked at as much as i could last night, and will do a little more research as i have time today. it's not like you can speed through it all. i wish there were more great resources online so you could see the pieces from front and back, and videos so you could see them in motion, on the body.

i agree with your assessment of his work. it's great when you can see an artist approach problems and find solutions in the work, whatever the medium. often when you look at the work over time you can see what the artist finds essential - his or her "signature"- and what is refined, cast off, returned to. watanabe is worthy of that kind of study. i look at ann demeulemeester this way as well.

thanks so much!

meme

meme527 said:
johnny -
you've never actually seen a *woman* who dresses like this in real life? or
you've never actually seen a *man* who is attracted to women who dress like this, in real life?
the former meme.

:heart: beautiful, travolta! I've been lurking in FirstView archives for several times now and i love every single collection of those you posted, they're wonderful. i was wondering if you were gonna include this one but then i realized this thread is all about the 90's. B)

*waits for 2000s thread* ^_^

the S/S 99 collection is really amaizng, i can see alot fo similareties in design between ti and the S/S 2005 collection.

spacemiu, i agree w/ your observation. i really appreicate his process..he went really far to test what was possible w/ the integration of metal in a couple of his collections. i feel he is extremly interested in defying proportion, but it's not without regard to the wearer..his earlier collections half way accomplish what his last few have done..i'm thinking the "milk maid s/s 2004?" collection and the most recent one--both are what i'd consider reach "couture" volumes..but they are so light and easy..its hard to do..he married form and function. he seems to know how to push the materials and the concepts w/out losing out on the bigger picture.i think my understanding of watanabe is going come in bits in pieces...i'll elaborate more later :flower:

:heart: beautiful, travolta! I've been lurking in FirstView archives for several times now and i love every single collection of those you posted, they're wonderful. i was wondering if you were gonna include this one but then i realized this thread is all about the 90's. B)

*waits for 2000s thread* ^_^

mullet, do you want to start that thread? it's all yours. :heart: i posted a bunch on the japanese avant garde thread, but it definately needs it's own. i decline..my reason being, i've been a bit of a post wh*re lately :innocent::rolleyes:

Travolta, I'm going to PM you
nqth, thanks for the additional photos! Those outfits--all with proper little socks and shoes, it kills me, looks so perfect
Haha..post wh*re? :innocent: If you've got something to say then say it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->