Karl Lagerfeld - Designer

‘Azzedine Alaia himself, a Tunisian man, with Arabs and black collaborators and a black casting director has managed to have all white casts for his shows for a decade. Nobody would say that he is racist despite having displayed racist behavior.

‘We need more nuance in this world…
Imagine being a black (or any other POC) casting director that only casts white models...

That was Maida Gregori-Boina for you…
Wasn't she one of the casting directors that got called out by James Scully back in 2017?

I believe it was because she and Rami Fernandes locked models for three hours in a building when they went out for lunch. He also called out Lanvin because of the all-white casting directive.

Funny enough, Boina is still casting shows (Hermès, Elie Saab, Botter), while Scully hasn't cast anything since 2018 (his Instagram is just full of thirst traps with the occasional Twitter screenshot).

Wasn't she one of the casting directors that got called out by James Scully back in 2017?

I believe it was because she and Rami Fernandes locked models for three hours in a building when they went out for lunch. He also called out Lanvin because of the all-white casting directive.

Funny enough, Boina is still casting shows (Hermès, Elie Saab, Botter), while Scully hasn't cast anything since 2018 (his Instagram is just full of thirst traps with the occasional Twitter screenshot).
Yes it was her…

Scully retired. He retired in the 2000’s but then came back because of Tom Ford if I remember well but then he retired for good again.

Yes it was her…

Scully retired. He retired in the 2000’s but then came back because of Tom Ford if I remember well but then he retired for good again.
Ok. That makes much more sense and sounds much less depressing.

if it was syndicated from another publication, the article should have that info at the end, I think.

‘Azzedine Alaia himself, a Tunisian man, with Arabs and black collaborators and a black casting director has managed to have all white casts for his shows for a decade. Nobody would say that he is racist despite having displayed racist behavior.
Didn't Alaia treat Naomi Campbell "like a daughter" througout his career?

Didn't Alaia treat Naomi Campbell "like a daughter" througout his career?
Yes he did. He also treated others black models good. He had Farida Khelfa as his Director of Couture when she retired from modeling, he championed some black people in the industry when they needed his support (someone like Jenke Ahmed Tailly), he had a multicultural entourage but my point was that once designers stopped handling castings themselves, they gave that power to someone else who might have been racist.
And in Alaia’s case, his little shows organized after fashion week were non diverse at all. And because fashion was a bubble, it became an habit and people got used to it.

Most Designers don’t discover new models. So most of the times, when a designer had a black girl it was either a veteran he liked (Like Alek Wek with Karl) or a girl that was handpicked by a designer involved in casting and in Paris, it was mostly Alber and Jean Paul who did their own castings.
Things changed when Prada booked Jourdan and when Naomi and Iman talked because suddenly, designers had to take their responsibility.

I think that sometimes, things are more nuanced and some nuances are not maybe understandable when you look at the industry from outside. There’s racism in the industry and sometimes the classicism can led to racism in an unconscious way. But from my experience in the industry, racism is generally not where people expect (top positions). There are a lot of in-between people in fashion that could make life difficult for a person of color or a less privileged person. And it’s only possible because those people have access to a lot of people.

Does anyone have access to this article?

Christa Worthington, “Chloé: Life After Lagerfeld,” Women’s Wear Daily (New York, NY), Jun. 21, 1984.

Karl Lagerfeld, 1972
Featuring:
Antonio Lopez, Juan Ramos, Jacques de Bascher, Eija Vehka Aho, Amina Warsuma, Gilles Dufour, Marie-France Acquaviva, Gaby Aghion
Photographer: Max Scheler

deutschefotothek.de

a70fc23c-0f51-40c2-bd87-6a241611deab-wm202301karl_89.jpg

W Magazine
Karl at the beach in 1956. Damn, Karl got cake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->