Karl Lagerfeld - Designer

I think (hope) they're going to try this with the Kaiser Karl show.
I wonder if they are going to try this indeed…
Sexuality is a subject almost needed in every story but sexuality or the lack off is quite an interesting part of Karl’s story.
In that new documentary, there’s this part where Victoire said that it annoyed her that for a long time she couldn’t figure it out if Karl was straight or not whereas Yves threw himself at men…
But yet there was a kind of intimate tension between the three and she had a bit of a crush for Karl.

Ultimately, Victoire became more instrumental in Yves’s story than in Karl’s.

ever since daniel brühl has been revealed to be playing karl in kaiser karl instead of jared leto as originally announced, i'm so very expectant to watch the series. i love daniel brühl and his acting.

I wonder if they are going to try this indeed…
Sexuality is a subject almost needed in every story but sexuality or the lack off is quite an interesting part of Karl’s story.
In that new documentary, there’s this part where Victoire said that it annoyed her that for a long time she couldn’t figure it out if Karl was straight or not whereas Yves threw himself at men…
But yet there was a kind of intimate tension between the three and she had a bit of a crush for Karl.

Ultimately, Victoire became more instrumental in Yves’s story than in Karl’s.

I remember reading similar comments from Victoire (can't remember where, I think it was the Mauvais garçon YSL biography) where she really didn't sound sure about Karl's preferences. I wonder if Victoire will ever write another book about her time with Yves, Karl, Pierre (whatever went on during their "affair" *shudder*). I read her book about her time at Dior and it was moderately interesting, but pretty boring. I mostly remember her characterizing the rival models at Balmain as drunken sl*ts and criticizing editorial models for being "fat."

On this topic, though, it'll be VERY interesting to see how they'll show his relationship with Jacques. One of his newer biographies (Paradise Now) has some interesting comments that seem to contradict each other. Diane de Beauvau-Craon says that of course he and Karl had a sexual relationship (at the beginning), but Karl just wasn't into sex so it was pretty much how it's been discussed. However, one of Jacques friends, suspects it was sexual and that Karl's story about it being "platonic" was to ultimately distract from the fact that Jacques died from AIDS... so people wouldn't associate Karl/think about Karl in that way. It's an interesting theory. Who knows.

(Specifically, I want a scene of Pierre almost attacking Karl at, maybe, Le Sept. Kenzo recounted it in one of the million of books about them and Kenzo is one of those fashion figures I trust, rightly or wrongly.)

ever since daniel brühl has been revealed to be playing karl in kaiser karl instead of jared leto as originally announced, i'm so very expectant to watch the series. i love daniel brühl and his acting.
Don't get your hopes up. That's a different project.

Last edited:
I remember reading similar comments from Victoire (can't remember where, I think it was the Mauvais garçon YSL biography) where she really didn't sound sure about Karl's preferences. I wonder if Victoire will ever write another book about her time with Yves, Karl, Pierre (whatever went on during their "affair" *shudder*). I read her book about her time at Dior and it was moderately interesting, but pretty boring. I mostly remember her characterizing the rival models at Balmain as drunken sl*ts and criticizing editorial models for being "fat."

On this topic, though, it'll be VERY interesting to see how they'll show his relationship with Jacques. One of his newer biographies (Paradise Now) has some interesting comments that seem to contradict each other. Diane de Beauvau-Craon says that of course he and Karl had a sexual relationship (at the beginning), but Karl just wasn't into sex so it was pretty much how it's been discussed. However, one of Jacques friends, suspects it was sexual and that Karl's story about it being "platonic" was to ultimately distract from the fact that Jacques died from AIDS... so people wouldn't associate Karl/think about Karl in that way. It's an interesting theory. Who knows.

(Specifically, I want a scene of Pierre almost attacking Karl at, maybe, Le Sept. Kenzo recounted it in one of the million of books about them and Kenzo is one of those fashion figures I trust, rightly or wrongly.)

Don't get your hopes up. That's a different project.
I would think that the truth lies between the two. I think they had sexual relationships in the beginning but Karl was probably not so interested and allowed Jacques to be reckless in the Parisian streets. And I believe Karl had that 1968 spirit of freedom where he allowed his partner to enjoy it. Maybe he was turned on by the tales or by watching than by being a participant. And Jacques lived a very non-professional lifestyle, unlike Karl.
But I also think that not being active allowed him to distance himself from the AIDS/HIV narrative.
But it was also a taboo I think. YSL despite his wild lifestyle (between parties and collections) escaped that narrative.

It’s funny but when I was younger I never understood that narrative of Yves and Pierre about suffering to design collections. There were using words like Torture…Just for me to realize that it was his substance abuse and it repercussions.

I would think that the truth lies between the two. I think they had sexual relationships in the beginning but Karl was probably not so interested and allowed Jacques to be reckless in the Parisian streets. And I believe Karl had that 1968 spirit of freedom where he allowed his partner to enjoy it. Maybe he was turned on by the tales or by watching than by being a participant. And Jacques lived a very non-professional lifestyle, unlike Karl.
But I also think that not being active allowed him to distance himself from the AIDS/HIV narrative.
But it was also a taboo I think. YSL despite his wild lifestyle (between parties and collections) escaped that narrative.

It’s funny but when I was younger I never understood that narrative of Yves and Pierre about suffering to design collections. There were using words like Torture…Just for me to realize that it was his substance abuse and it repercussions.
I think you're right when it comes to it. It'll be very interesting to see how this is all portrayed.

They were able to get blood from a stone for Balenciaga's series, which I quite liked, but of course different production companies, writers, etc. so who knows.

Harper's Bazaar November 1982
"Paris Nights" by Marian McEvoy
Photographer: Patrick Demarchelier
Featuring: Yves Saint Laurent, Amalia Vairelli, Violeta Sanchez, Suzy Amis, Carol Alt, Deborah Collette, Emanuel Ungaro, Karl Lagerfeld, Marc Bohan, Unknown

HB Archive

Someone wrote in another thread about a Fendi documentary that showed how concise Karl’s drawings were for the atelier. Can anyone please tell me the name of it? Thank you

That drawing and look from 2002 is sooooo kjdnfskejfdn f*ck I miss him.

Someone wrote in another thread about a Fendi documentary that showed how concise Karl’s drawings were for the atelier. Can anyone please tell me the name of it? Thank you
btw I think this might be the one you're talking about?

I love that gold fur with the subconscious nautilus shell reference. He was the right-brain personified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->