Keratosis Pilaris

A

Albertine

I seem to have rather rough or spotted skin on the back of my upper arms - It is not only a problem I know from my self, I have noticed several teenagers who seem to deal with it too...
I have tried exfoliating, but it just seems to make matters worse - so what to do? They are not big or red or anyting, just like a lot of small "bumps", which are not very pleasent...they make me not wanna wear tanktops and show my arms in general...:( so please...heeeelp
Love Alba

Alba,
i think you had the right idea with exfoliating but maybe you weren't using the right type of product. Look for a sugar scrub loaded with natural and essential oils- it shouldn't consist of much else. Use as often as needed in a warm shower and apply lotion once you get out. This is based on the assumption that these bumps are a form of dry skin although it could be some kind of other problem. Good luck!

Yep, you need to exfoliate, exfoliate...

I use dry body brushing, which I have found to be very effective. Use a dry natural body brush and sweep across your body in the dirction of your heart. Shower and slather in body lotion. This also helps tone and get rid of cellulite - its great!

actually...this is a medical condition...it is hereditary...and extremely common..
it's not just teenagers and (the bad news is) you will continue to have it...
i went to a dermatologist about it...

i would be careful about scrubbing...or you will irritate the bumps and make them red and 'angry'...

the derm recommended a gentle exfoliation in the shower with very warm water to soften your skin and then a gentle but firm scrub-i like a salt scrub with lime peel...just rub until the salt dissolves...(you're not sandpapering, it shouldn't hurt)...then wash off with a moisturising soap (dove is excellent)...do this regularly and gently rather than once in a while really hard...

then use a super moisturising lotion...like the stuff recommended for heels or elbows...i use some stuff by murad...intensive body smoothing treatment...but it's kind of pricey-you can find something like it in the drugstore i'm sure...

mine has really improved...it's completely soft now and not really red or bumpy...just some little dots...but the derm said it really doesn't ever go away completely and there's no other treatment for it...

good luck!...:flower:

Sweets said:
Use as often as needed in a warm shower and apply lotion once you get out.

Warm water dries out skin more than cold water..but I don't have the discipline of the french to take cold showers..:P ..just don't overdue the warm shower part!:flower:

i agree...
it doesn't have to be for very long...but you need it to soften the skin before exfoliation...that way you won't have to really scrub...and can avoid irritating the area...

sounds like exzema. if you're going to exfoliate, I suggest using something non-abrasive to avoid irritating the skin (like Dermalogica cream exfoliant). then moisturize like crazy. you might also try a mild tpoical steroid if it's red or itchy. I have super sensitive skin and sometimes get that on the upper outside part of my arms too.

thank you guys so much....!
and Softgrey, I kinda thought it WAS a medical condition...I mean as you say, it is so common....but man it sucks that there is no actual "cure"...hmnpf...I will invent one!
Love Alba

I've always had this same problem, and I'm twenty-two. The best I can do is try to exfoliate... those darned bumps will always be there.

Albertine said:
thank you guys so much....!
and Softgrey, I kinda thought it WAS a medical condition...I mean as you say, it is so common....but man it sucks that there is no actual "cure"...hmnpf...I will invent one!
Love Alba

I am not a doctor, but I am an esthetician and I think what you have is keratosis pilaris. It actually is a skin disorder but a really, really common one. It is caused by dead cells building up around indiv. hair follicles. You need to exfoliate more, but instead of used a scrub which could irritate, I'd suggest using a chem. exfoliant- like an lotion containing AHA (alpha-hydroxy acid) or a glycolic acid. The drugstore brand "Alpha-Hydrox" sells an inexpensive lotion tht you might want to try or, like Softgrey suggested, go with the Murad- it probably has glycolic in it, as that line is very big on glycolic.

My dermatologist reccomended using a do it yourself chemical peel. If you've noticed that it gets better in summer, its just becuase the skin replenishes itself more frequently in the sun... so basically using a chemical peel does that for you. It worked really well for me.

^ How much did that run ya, price-wise, secondly?

I have this problem too, but after I started using cocoa butter it isn't so dry/bumpy anymore, just a little.

Thanks softgrey for the advice also! ^_^

Erin said:
^ How much did that run ya, price-wise, secondly?

I used some cheap old Neutrogena 'Advanced Solutions' stuff that works really well. The container cost $25 (Canadian... its like $10 cheaper in the states) and it holds more than one application. Definately worth it. And you can use it on your face too. :flower:

paprika_hiccup said:
I am not a doctor, but I am an esthetician and I think what you have is keratosis pilaris. It actually is a skin disorder but a really, really common one. It is caused by dead cells building up around indiv. hair follicles. You need to exfoliate more, but instead of used a scrub which could irritate, I'd suggest using a chem. exfoliant- like an lotion containing AHA (alpha-hydroxy acid) or a glycolic acid. The drugstore brand "Alpha-Hydrox" sells an inexpensive lotion tht you might want to try or, like Softgrey suggested, go with the Murad- it probably has glycolic in it, as that line is very big on glycolic.

cool-yeah...that sounds like it...
thanks for the helpful info...and the cheap brand of AHA...i will try that when the murad runs out...^_^...

great to see you around...been missing you...was just reading some of your old posts..:flower:...hope to see you more often...this was a great post..!! :heart: :flower:

uh....that was So helpful...
I am running out to get what you suggested!
and it's nice to have a...(in danish it is called a : diagnose...?)
Well, thanx anyways...

softgrey said:
cool-yeah...that sounds like it...
thanks for the helpful info...and the cheap brand of AHA...i will try that when the murad runs out...^_^...

great to see you around...been missing you...was just reading some of your old posts..:flower:...hope to see you more often...this was a great post..!! :heart: :flower:

Awww. . . I've been missing you too:smile: :blush: :heart: I will def. make an effort to stop in more often now that my manic schedule has calmed down a bit.:flower:

Albertine said:
uh....that was So helpful...
I am running out to get what you suggested!
and it's nice to have a...(in danish it is called a : diagnose...?)
Well, thanx anyways...

And you're very welcome:wink:

Wow! thanks every one for the great info! I thought i was the only one out there with this problem, I had tried exfoliating but this seemed to make things worse but i will now try the AHA. No more 3/4 length sleves!!! Bring on those tank tops!!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->