Keratosis Pilaris

I have the same issue, and though moisturizing helps a bit, the only thing that completely clears it up is sunshine/uv-rays.

And it gets pretty nasty-looking when I'm cold - does anybody else have this happening to them as well?

I have it on parts of my legs, the outside of my thighs and I absolutely hate it. I love it in the summer because it gets all cleared up. Neutrogena makes a lotion for bumps and its supposed to work, i've bought it but havent really used it yet.

sephora and dermadoctor.com sell a product called "kp duty" that is supposed to work on it. perhaps anything with glycolic acid might work. that seems to be the active ingredient in this pricey lotion.

I have KP on my upper arms and all what was said before here is correct.
A few weeky ago I exfoliated with salt and used honey after that. Rinse it of in the shower with some mild shower gel.
But usually I exfoliate with a body butter from Lush called Buffy. It contains Cocoa Butter to moisturize and ground grains which exfoliate your skin.

I have kiratosis pilaris on my upper arms. I've tried retin A and other creams as prescribed by my derm, and it all worked for a while. As soon as I stopped those creams everything went back to how it used to be.

So, as everyone here stated, exfioliating and daily moisturizing is the best thing. It'll make the bumps disappear and reduce the redness.

I have this too and I absolutely hate it. I have the rubra faseii, which gives me a permanent blush like rosacea, as well as rough dry skin on my face. I have the rough, bumpy upper arms. And on my legs, starting at my ankles going all the way to the top of my butt I have the red dots. I have fairly good legs, but I refuse to wear skirts because of the way it looks.

I was teased mercilessly as a child for my red cheeks. Being an Australian meant that I forever had that damn Vegemite song being sung at me.

So far I have yet to find a truly effective treatment for my keratosis. You ladies may wish to try http://[SIZE=-1]www.keratosispilaris.org . It's a community full of people with keratosis with lots of tips and tricks, as well as reviews on the products out there that claim to fix keratosis. It also has a lot of information about what keratosis is.
[/SIZE]

Hi! Lac-Hydrin is a cream that my doctor prescribes me and it works really well. As mentioned above, it can't be cured- so you do have to use it regularly.

Im not sure if i had keratosis pilaris but i used to get little skin coloured bumps (made worse by shaving). I read somewhere that when you put your body lotion on to smooth it downwards (instead of rubbing with circular motion because it aggravates the surface of the skin) My bumps have virtually gone now so i'd really recommend this :flower:

Keratosis pilaris or 'chicken skin'

Keratosis pilaris
(KP) is a very common genetic follicular condition that is manifested by the appearance of rough bumps on the skin and hence colloquially referred to as "chicken skin". It most often appears on the back and outer sides of the upper arms (though the lower arms can also be affected), and can also occur on the thighs and tops of legs, flanks, buttocks or any body part except glabrous skin (like the palms or soles of feet). Less commonly, lesions appear on the face and may be mistaken for acne.

- wikipedia

Here's what it looks like...
kerapil3-s.jpg

http://dermnetnz.org

I found this product that's supposedly rids the bumps and was wondering if anybody has tried it? Would you recommend it? It's call Derma Doctor KP duty...
DDSkpduty.jpg

http://www.dermadoctor.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumps on arm

hey guys,

I've had bumps on my upper arm (tricep area) and it gets minimized when I'm in the sun but in the winter, it's really prevalent. I have noticed a few girls with the same issues. Does anyone know how to mitigate this? Any help is MUCH appreciated

Does this keratosis pilaris thread describe your symptoms?

If so, here is some more information.

As always, it is recommended to seek help from health care professionals for any medical condition. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
if theyre little bumps that arent colors or are kinda whiteish, it can be an allergic reaction to something.

Well, I'm no medico but I do get excema in that area on my arms. Can you tell us more about the bumps? Are they like pinpoint bubbles or is it actually a patch of skin that's irritated?

Whatever it is, I highly suggest avoiding use of soap or any other product on that part of your skin. Just rinse with water. Don't let shampoo or conditioner or cleansers touch the areas that are breaking out. Don't put moisturizer on the skin either. You can use a light coat of Neosporin or coconut oil as a conditioner instead.

You might want to use a less harsh soap for laundering your sheets. It might sound odd, but we do spend a lot of time with our skin against the sheets. I got sheets made of bamboo and they are dreamy. Silk is also a great fabric to sleep in.

If it itches, you might want to see a dermatologist.

I get these bumps sometimes (they look like goosepimples?) and when they're on the back of your upper arm it's supposed to mean that you are defficient in omega-3 oils. So you could try eating more salmon, etc, and see if that helps.

I had the arm bumps pretty badly in the 4th grade. I visited a dermatologist and she kind of consoled me by saying that 1 in 3 women have the condition. Mine decreased significanty with this steroid cream she prescribed to me and also a more healthy diet can make it better, but I am still self-conscious about the lingering bumps on my arms.

I was wondering if kp duty worked too so if anyone has tried it please share:smile:

It definitely is keratosis pilaris! Thanks for that link!

I have keratosis pilaris too, my thighs and upper arms look like a plucked chicken. I never wear shorts of swimsuits. And growing up kids can be mean. I've used KPDuty, Lac-Hydrin5 and Neutrogena Bump Minimizing Lotion, they softened the bumps, but I still had red dots. I'm trying AmLactin now; I'll post again to let anyone that is interested the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->