Korean Entertainment & Entertainers

Well, I have 2-3 more years before I actually move so I'll probably take some Korean classes here and there. I heard how you talk to people is really strict there, kinda scared about that.

I'm starting it right now! I'm going to watch one episode of Iris then one episode of My Girl. I'm gonna switch from one drama to the other to keep my mind going, haha, plus the website I was downloading Iris from is having problems.

Well, I have 2-3 more years before I actually move so I'll probably take some Korean classes here and there. I heard how you talk to people is really strict there, kinda scared about that.

I'm starting it right now! I'm going to watch one episode of Iris then one episode of My Girl. I'm gonna switch from one drama to the other to keep my mind going, haha, plus the website I was downloading Iris from is having problems.
I would say Korean is a pretty easy language to pick up! I have few friends who can speak and they've been teaching themselves! Korean dramas are perfect for learning the language as well! :wink:
There is a formal and informal way of talking to people, but you shouldn't be scared. They will understand! It's kind of complicated and weird, in my opinion, but that's just how things work in Korean culture.

Ohhh let me know what you think about both dramas!! :woot:

I was crazy about Boys over Flowers. I watched it mainly for the Soeulmate couple. I'd just wait out the entire week waiting for Mondays and Tuesdays to come. That couple was so f-ing awesome.

Generally speaking, I have to suspend my disbelief when watching K-drama, b/c they are set in dimension separate from this reality. On the whole, I find most k-dramas rather cringe-worthy, irritating, and repetitive. The girl protagonists are always ditzy, cutesy, dumb, comical, spineless, and weak.

The plot either has to do with an "attractive" rich guy, his bitchy but elegant ex-girlfriend, and the heroine who's cute, innocent, dumb, and not-as-rich. There's always some type of CANCER. Eye cancer, brain cancer, lung cancer, somehow some character always get cancer and dies (Stairway to Heaven - I'm looking at you). It's becoming snore-worthy predictable.

It's also hard for me to adjust to the humor in K-dramas. Since I'm use to British/American humor that relies on a lot of mockery, sarcasm, irony, wit, subtlety, and dryness, I don't find the exaggerated sound effects and facial expressions in K-dramas all that funny.

Still, I admit that K-dramas are addictive. Like stay-up-3-nights-in-a-row-addictive. Watching them is a good fun. I'd recommend My Name is Kim Sam Soon for anyone who is on the lookout for a drama to try. I thought the plot and acting were relatively superb to most of its drama counterparts.

eternitygoddess- Yes. All the Korean drama cliches. My friend and I were going through all the cliches and basically, we've come to the conclusion that korean dramas are relatively the same. Yet, we still watch them and have sleepless nights. HAHA.
Sometimes, when I watch a drama, the ending is so clear and technically, I probably don't have to go to the end, but it's satisfying to go to the end.

What I find entertaining about korean dramas is the whole fact that they are completely unrealistic and overly dramatic! There are some dramas where the main character gets hit by a car twice, which brings memory loss and then gain. I mean... that's totally unrealistic, but it makes us want to watch more of it.

Ah yes! My Name is Kim Samsoon is a must watch! Quite an awesome cast as well! I'm glad you brought up that drama here!

Can someone help me figure out how to post youtube vids on here that we can watch without being directed to a link? I want to post some korean drama vids... :smile:

[ yt ]the number code after the youtube link's = sign[/ y t]

don't include the spaces in the brackets when you actually do yours. I did that just so it wouldn't come up as a blank youtube screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing I like about Kdramas is the fact that the video quality they use doesn't make it seem like a "soap-opera" but instead a really really long movie. Like for example, if you look at American soap-operas, you notice right away that they're using cheap cameras, cheap sets, and so forth. Kdramas actually use cameras they would use for movies and sets for movies.

Oh, and I think in general all soap-operas, Korean or not, are just an exaggeration of reality. I've yet to watch any kind of television show that was completely realistic.

[ yt ]the number code after the youtube link's = sign[/ y t]

don't include the spaces in the brackets when you actually do yours. I did that just so it wouldn't come up as a blank youtube screen.
Thank you so much! :flower: I will try it out.

The thing I like about Kdramas is the fact that the video quality they use doesn't make it seem like a "soap-opera" but instead a really really long movie. Like for example, if you look at American soap-operas, you notice right away that they're using cheap cameras, cheap sets, and so forth. Kdramas actually use cameras they would use for movies and sets for movies.
Yes! I agree with you. The productions of Korean dramas are not cheap. I think that's why they're so highly sought after in Korea. Korean dramas are a lot more popular than korean movies, even in Korea.

Yes! I agree with you. The productions of Korean dramas are not cheap. I think that's why they're so highly sought after in Korea. Korean dramas are a lot more popular than korean movies, even in Korea.

They're not only sought after in Korea, they're practically the most viewed shows all over Asia. I mean in China and Philippines, most TV stations are having to resort to showing Korean dramas or re-making them. And funny is, Boys Over Flowers is more widely popular than Hana Yori Dango (Japanese original). Haha.

I'm Filipino and I can't even begin to describe how many times Filipino tv stations have recreated Korean Dramas that ended in failure.

BTW, is it possible to change the title of this thread? Maybe just "Korean Entertainment" or something, so we can talk about everything Korean media. Haha.

They're not only sought after in Korea, they're practically the most viewed shows all over Asia. I mean in China and Philippines, most TV stations are having to resort to showing Korean dramas or re-making them. And funny is, Boys Over Flowers is more widely popular than Hana Yori Dango (Japanese original). Haha.

I'm Filipino and I can't even begin to describe how many times Filipino tv stations have recreated Korean Dramas that ended in failure.

BTW, is it possible to change the title of this thread? Maybe just "Korean Entertainment" or something, so we can talk about everything Korean media. Haha.
Ohh! That's true! They're getting really popular in America as well. Kind of.. but looking at how MadTV made a parody, for sure they're getting popular. :woot:

After I started this thread, I've been wanting to change the title of this thread. Should we open this thread to all asian entertainment? I feel we would have lots more to talk about. :wink: What do you think? Should we label this Asian Entertainment- Dramas, Movies, Music, etc. or stick with Korean Entertainment?

I think a mod could help us out?

Ohh! That's true! They're getting really popular in America as well. Kind of.. but looking at how MadTV made a parody, for sure they're getting popular. :woot:

After I started this thread, I've been wanting to change the title of this thread. Should we open this thread to all asian entertainment? I feel we would have lots more to talk about. :wink: What do you think? Should we label this Asian Entertainment- Dramas, Movies, Music, etc. or stick with Korean Entertainment?

I think a mod could help us out?

I think Korean Dramas was a bit too specific. And Asian Entertainment would be too broad! Haha. Korean Entertainment would be enough. Especially how Korean Entertainment right now is getting bigger and bigger so fast, we can talk about endless things from TV Shows, Music, and Movies.

I think Korean Dramas was a bit too specific. And Asian Entertainment would be too broad! Haha. Korean Entertainment would be enough. Especially how Korean Entertainment right now is getting bigger and bigger so fast, we can talk about endless things from TV Shows, Music, and Movies.
Cool! That's fine with me. We can call this thread, Korean Entertainment, but we don't have to limit it to just Korean entertainment for those of us who want to discuss other asian entertainment. I like watching various dramas as well!
So, we're going to need a moderator to fix the title for us. Hopefully, someone can help us out soon! I'll see who can help us.

You can try PMing a moderator and ask to change the title.

:smile:

I'm glad there's a few people here who enjoy Korean stuff. Haha.

You can try PMing a moderator and ask to change the title.

:smile:

I'm glad there's a few people here who enjoy Korean stuff. Haha.
Yup! I just sent a message and hopefully the title will be changed soon! ^_^

Yes! I love discussing korean entertainment and dramas with other people! So fun to see what other people think and are watching! I also love giving people recommendations on things to watch! HAHA!

^Haha, I know right. I got my cousins hooked on Full House and Boys Over Flowers.

Do you watch Star King?

^Haha, I know right. I got my cousins hooked on Full House and Boys Over Flowers.

Do you watch Star King?
I love Star King! I like watching random episodes on youtube! :D
I'm also into 1 Night 2 Days and Infinity Challenge. They are sooo :lol:!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->