Lagerfeld's High Street Split

mdankwah

Reaction score
LAGERFELD'S HIGH STREET SPLIT

KARL LAGERFELD has said that he will never work with H&M again, despite the success of his creations this season. Accusing the Swedish retailer of "snobbery" for producing minimal numbers of his designs, which sold out in a matter of hours when they went on sale in 20 stores across Europe last Friday, he said it had defeated his intention of making clothes available to the thousands of people who could not afford to shop at Lagerfeld Gallery, Chanel or Fendi.. "It was great to work with the people at H&M as we all helped each other to make it a success," he told German magazine Stern magazine. "But the incomprehensible decisions of the management in Stockholm have taken away any desire to do it again. They did not make the clothes in sufficient quantities. I find it embarrassing that H&M let down so many people… I don't think that is very kind, especially for people in small towns and countries in eastern Europe. It is snobbery created by anti-snobbery." Lagerfeld was also offended by the chain's decision to produce the clothes in larger sizes than he had envisaged. "What I designed was fashion for slender and slim people," said the designer who famously lost 42 kilograms two years ago. "That was the original idea." Amused by the fact that the Lagerfeld for H&M designs are already being bought for inflated prices on internet auction sites, the German designer said it was simply a sign of the times. "Everything goes," he said. (November 18 2004, AM)

Originally posted by mdankwah@Nov 18 2004, 07:16 AM

[snapback]437056[/snapback]​

Intertesting. It's a pile of rubbish anyway, saw it on Saturday. Why anyone would want to buy any of it, never mind at a premium on ebay, is beyond me.

When I read his first point, I somewhat admired Karl for relating to those who 'could not afford to purchase from Lagerfeld Gallery'.

However...

"What I designed was fashion for slender and slim people..."

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by saturnine@Nov 18 2004, 07:37 AM
When I read his first point, I somewhat admired Karl for relating to those who 'could not afford to purchase from Lagerfeld Gallery'.

However...

[snapback]437065[/snapback]​
lol what popped into my head when I read it was, "Karl will be Karl" :rolleyes: :P
It seems odd that H&M management wouldn't produce more of the line, I'm sure it would have sold spectacularly well

whatever...i am sure that lagerfeld stipulated that they produce so little just so he could make some foolish comment like this. the man needs to eat bc he's going crazy.

Originally posted by saturnine@Nov 18 2004, 08:37 AM

However...

I thought the same thing. :huh:

I have mixed feelings about the amount they produced for the line, because part of me likes the fact that I can afford it, yet I won't see every other girl in my town wearing the stuff.

Lagerfeld was also offended by the chain's decision to produce the clothes in larger sizes than he had envisaged. "What I designed was fashion for slender and slim people,"

It's a load of bull what he said about it being for slim slender people anyway, cause they went up to a size 18 uk and they didn't even stock the smallest size h&m carry in other lines which is a uk size 6!

Though i think it is unfair of him to say its for people who can't afford chanel, lagerfeld gallery and fendi and then sya but not for people who aren't slim.

Nevermind.

Didn't like the collection, but he has a point...let's not all be nasty just because it's Karla...

Originally posted by saturnine@Nov 18 2004, 07:37 AM

However...

I can see some logic in his comments.

Karl designed fashion for people who can't afford to purchase food.

Its interesting actually...Karl Lagerfeld was also quoted in an interview, saying that he's glad girls are spending a few bucks to purchase his affordable clothes at H&M, rather than spending it on a sandwhich that will add another roll of fat to their bodies...or something like that! :neutral:

this was discussd yesterday in another thread...it's around here somewhere... :unsure: :flower:

Originally posted by vintage_princess@Nov 18 2004, 02:00 PM
Its interesting actually...Karl Lagerfeld was also quoted in an interview, saying that he's glad girls are spending a few bucks to purchase his affordable clothes at H&M, rather than spending it on a sandwhich that will add another roll of fat to their bodies...or something like that! :neutral:
[snapback]437362[/snapback]​

I'm glad about that too *hides from pridictable onslaught*

Lagerfeld was also offended by the chain's decision to produce the clothes in larger sizes than he had envisaged. "What I designed was fashion for slender and slim people," said the designer who famously lost 42 kilograms two years ago.

I was with him until he made the comment about designing the clothes for slender people only :ninja:

This is another reason why I personally love to listen to Karl. People may not always agree with what he has to say, but he knows exactly what he wants, and despite his incredibly fast speech, I think he articulates himself quite well. He’s so blunt and abrupt when talks, and I often find his comments, although quite derisive and sarcastic, to be hilariously funny. You have to give him credit for not being uncertain of himself, he's quite direct and confident in his opinions. If Karl wants to design things for slim people let him! No one’s forcing anyone to buy it. I actually agree with him; I don’t think all styles look good on all sizes. Some things look better on people who wear a larger size, others for smaller people. If Karl happens to prefer his designs on a slimmer frame, well…then that’s just what he prefers! To each their own. :smile:

Originally posted by LostInNJ@Nov 18 2004, 05:26 PM
I was with him until he made the comment about designing the clothes for slender people only :ninja:
[snapback]437514[/snapback]​
I don't mind the comment. If I was a designer, I wouldn't want to design clothes for overweight people, either. Sorry if that's offensive, but it's personal taste. He can design for whoever he wants.

Originally posted by vintage_princess+Nov 18 2004, 01:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vintage_princess @ Nov 18 2004, 01:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Its interesting actually...Karl Lagerfeld was also quoted in an interview, saying that he's glad girls are spending a few bucks to purchase his affordable clothes at H&M, rather than spending it on a sandwhich that will add another roll of fat to their bodies...or something like that! :neutral:
[snapback]437362[/snapback]​
[/b]

Now this I can get behind in some respect. With the levels of obesity rising, I say that what he said here I'll have to kind of agree with. While I don't think everything ought to be signed for thin people only, but the average human size has really gone up, and not only due to genes, but to overeating, lack of exercise, etc. if you walk around europe and compare the average size of people in america, they're distinctly smaller than americans - they get more exercise, spend more time eating (slowly!), eat healthier...quite a bit of it is eating habits and exercise.

<!--QuoteBegin-Ms. Diorella
@Nov 18 2004, 05:03 PM
I'm glad about that too *hides from pridictable onslaught*
[snapback]437480[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I agree. :smile:

Originally posted by Misako@Nov 18 2004, 10:19 PM
Now this I can get behind in some respect. With the levels of obesity rising, I say that what he said here I'll have to kind of agree with. While I don't think everything ought to be signed for thin people only, but the average human size has really gone up, and not only due to genes, but to overeating, lack of exercise, etc. if you walk around europe and compare the average size of people in america, they're distinctly smaller than americans - they get more exercise, spend more time eating (slowly!), eat healthier...quite a bit of it is eating habits and exercise.
I agree. :smile:
[snapback]437775[/snapback]​
this is a bit off topic, but does anyone else find it ironic that the ideal size (or at least the model size) has slimmed down, while the average person size has grown in the last few decades? :ninja:

Originally posted by mikeijames@Nov 18 2004, 09:27 AM
the man needs to eat bc he's going crazy.
[snapback]437131[/snapback]​

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by tiffany@Nov 19 2004, 12:56 AM
this is a bit off topic, but does anyone else find it ironic that the ideal size (or at least the model size) has slimmed down, while the average person size has grown in the last few decades? :ninja:
[snapback]437962[/snapback]​
:wacko: Crazy, isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qqqq0102
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->