fatkarl.jpg

Tribute:

http://www.midnitesun.co.uk/midi/midi02/mb02p189.mid

Well twirl my turban, man alive!
Here comes Mister Five by Five!
He's one of those big, fat, bouncin' boys
Solid avoirdupois

Mister Five by Five
He's five feet tall and he's five feet wide.
He don't measure no more from head to toe
Than he do from side to side.

Mister Five by Five
Got fifteen chins and a line of jive.
He's a mellow old cat, a real hep fat
He be Mister Five by Five.

That man... can really jump it for a fat man...
The only trouble is there's no way of knowin'
Whether he's comin' or goin'

Mister Five by Five,
He's slightly plump on the solid side.
He don't shake it no more from head to toe

Mister Five, Five by Five
Slightly plump and he can jump
'Cause he's a mellow old fat and a real hep cat...

Mister Five by Five,
He doesn't measure no more from his head to his toe

Mister Five by Five-feet-five
He's slightly plump on the solid side
He doesn't measure no more from head to toe
Than'll he do from side to side.

Mister Five, Mister Five, Mister Five
He be just little Mister Five by Five.

well, mean poetry time for KL but not totally unfair...

dont forget that we aim in keeping the discussions fashion (and not weight) centered :wink:

Hee hee... I'm sorry. I just think he's a big poser and a hypocrite to boot.

I don't know what the big deal is about the whole size issue anyway, Chanel makes at least a 12, right? Are two more sizes really worth the grief? I found his tone from the very beginning of the project to be offensive: "We all know H&M is for the great unwashed and I have such a very strong sense of noblesse oblige I'm doing them a huge favor by lowering myself and deigning to take their money." Yech. Nobody should be forced to design something they don't want to design, but he should have worked it out with the company beforehand instead of alienating everybody later.

As for me, I would MUCH rather be a size 16 wearing something flattering, beautiful, and well-designed than something "size appropriate"-stereotyped and boring. You dont have to be a size 00 to be stylish; ever see the NY socialite and political figure Georgette Mosbacher? She always looks elegant, incredible, confident and sexy to boot! She's got it and she flaunts it, (copper red hair and a legendary decolletage) and I for one always look forward to seeing what extravagantly beautiful getup she's going to wear next. She's so gorgeous, size is completely irrelevant.

Anyway, I was very disappointed in the way Lagerfeld chose to handle Chanel exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum, too. One big commercial for himself. It was fascinating to see the original pieces-- which were spectacular in every sense of the word-- but there was a huge period he bleeped right over in order to promote his own history... it should have been titled "Coco And Me." Plus it was depressing to think how much the whole house changed over the years and turned...tacky. I know there are still a lot of good things coming from them, but really. I don't think Mme. Chanel would be happy.

Karl Lagerfeld is the perfect picture of what's wrong with the fashion business today.

Last edited by a moderator:
metal-on-metal said:
I don't like that argument and people use it all the time. If most women were size 26 or over, would that make it healthy and normal? No.

That said, Karl is ridiculous and needs to understand that fashion isn't astrophysics or even contemporary art. It's meant for the masses and to expect a company like H&M--which is practically the definition of 'mass'--to put out clothing for only a small range of sizes is just stupid.

And he's so hypocritical. Wasn't he complaining that H&M didn't produce his line in enough quantity? So he wants it to be available to everyone but only in size 34 and 36? What a g*ddamn buffoon. Someone needs to remind this man that for the better part of the last 30 years he weighed almost as much as a small European electric car. Don't forget where you came from, Karl.

totally agree with anything you said

To some extend I can understand KL's remarks on the sizing issue. I usually wear clothes from size 0 to 4 but when I was trying on the smallest size of the KL pieces for H&M, size 34 was too large for me. The dresses were o.k. but the trousers and the coat were far too large. I think, KL put it wrong and may have wanted to express his opinion about vanity sizing.

I am a tiny person and against the common opinion, I can't wear anything - simply because there is not so much choice arround. Buying trouses is horrible for me and shopping at the children's department is no alternative, because I am grown up and have curves. I see many young woman who are petit, but most of them are wearing jeans and T-shirts. I whish more of the designers would offer a small size range, but mostly it begins with a 4 (e.g. Prada, Dolce & Gabbana etc.) so: no designer trousers or skirts for me and many other girls.

frugalsquirrel said:
Hee hee... I'm sorry. I just think he's a big poser and a hypocrite to boot.

I don't know what the big deal is about the whole size issue anyway, Chanel makes at least a 12, right? Are two more sizes really worth the grief? I found his tone from the very beginning of the project to be offensive: "We all know H&M is for the great unwashed and I have such a very strong sense of noblesse oblige I'm doing them a huge favor by lowering myself and deigning to take their money." Yech. Nobody should be forced to design something they don't want to design, but he should have worked it out with the company beforehand instead of alienating everybody later.

As for me, I would MUCH rather be a size 16 wearing something flattering, beautiful, and well-designed than something "size appropriate"-stereotyped and boring. You dont have to be a size 00 to be stylish; ever see the NY socialite and political figure Georgette Mosbacher? She always looks elegant, incredible, confident and sexy to boot! She's got it and she flaunts it, (copper red hair and a legendary decolletage) and I for one always look forward to seeing what extravagantly beautiful getup she's going to wear next. She's so gorgeous, size is completely irrelevant.

Anyway, I was very disappointed in the way Lagerfeld chose to handle Chanel exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum, too. One big commercial for himself. It was fascinating to see the original pieces-- which were spectacular in every sense of the word-- but there was a huge period he bleeped right over in order to promote his own history... it should have been titled "Coco And Me." Plus it was depressing to think how much the whole house changed over the years and turned...tacky. I know there are still a lot of good things coming from them, but really. I don't think Mme. Chanel would be happy.

Karl Lagerfeld is the perfect picture of what's wrong with the fashion business today.

In a Vogue article on Marjorie Raein (socialite who appears to wear a 14-16), it was mentioned that Chanel makes clothes up to a size 20. I know that society designers who play to an older audience (Oscar de la Renta, Bill Blass, Carolina Herrera) do have 16s, 18s and in the case of Blass/Oscar, 20s.
So I LMAO @ the Kaiser.

i stand by him wholeheartedly. he didnt want to design clothes for fatter people, so they shouldn't have warped his designs towards that.

god, go to fu*king cotton ginny and stfu

Nader said:
i stand by him wholeheartedly. he didnt want to design clothes for fatter people, so they shouldn't have warped his designs towards that.

god, go to fu*king cotton ginny and stfu
If it were under his own label I'd agree. But come one...it was for H&M, a very commerical, mass-produced. Was Karl honestly foolish enough to believe that a manufacturer like that would only produce small sizes?

OK, well

I was in H&M today. There clothes are cut small to begin with, everywhere else in the world I am a 4, maybe a 6 in tops for the newly curved top (no idea where they come from but I am keeping them). At H&M, I am always a at least an 8 and the same is true for everyone else I know who shops there.

Is Karl thinking of that only the anarexic shall look cute for cheap? Dear God, his last collection for them was disasterous. Maybe he should spend more time getting back to designing clothes and leave the health issues to professionals

morgan38 said:
If it were under his own label I'd agree. But come one...it was for H&M, a very commerical, mass-produced. Was Karl honestly foolish enough to believe that a manufacturer like that would only produce small sizes?

yeah theyd lose a lot of business, but like, they should have been thankful enough that a real designer actually wanted to design for them and done exactly what he said

Was his line even a big hit? I don't think it did well here at all. I think H&M should have used a different designer in the first place (it seems like the new vanity project for designers, so I'm sure they could have found someone else).

Ah well. He just made the comment to get into the newspapers. The more offensive a person seems, the more cool some people think he is.

Assembler said:
Was his line even a big hit? I don't think it did well here at all. I think H&M should have used a different designer in the first place (it seems like the new vanity project for designers, so I'm sure they could have found someone else).

Ah well. He just made the comment to get into the newspapers. The more offensive a person seems, the more cool some people think he is.
That whole collection sold out in a matter of days appearantly. Around here all I could find were those Lanyards that I didnt know what to do with. I did/do want one of those silhouette shirts, ooo I love them...

Lagerfeld is cool. Really he is.

The formerly fat Karl has the right to say whatever he wants but he is working for H&M and the are paying him so he has no say in the matter.

In my opinion he acts like the typically former fatty who has slimmed down and thinks that everyone should do so.

If he didn't want his clothing on a size 12 then he shouldn't have made the designs for H&M.

CelineChic said:
The formerly fat Karl has the right to say whatever he wants but he is working for H&M and the are paying him so he has no say in the matter.

In my opinion he acts like the typically former fatty who has slimmed down and thinks that everyone should do so.

If he didn't want his clothing on a size 12 then he shouldn't have made the designs for H&M.
A size 12 isnt even that bad, IMO. It's not like we're talking about people with body ruching and pleating. I do sort of like the larger sizes, that means I could very well fit into womens. :P

Gianni'sgirl said:
OK, well

I was in H&M today. There clothes are cut small to begin with, everywhere else in the world I am a 4, maybe a 6 in tops for the newly curved top (no idea where they come from but I am keeping them). At H&M, I am always a at least an 8 and the same is true for everyone else I know who shops there.

Is Karl thinking of that only the anarexic shall look cute for cheap? Dear God, his last collection for them was disasterous. Maybe he should spend more time getting back to designing clothes and leave the health issues to professionals
Amen to that!

CelineChic said:

Yeah, just like ex-smokers can be the most annoying anti-smoking people.

M-O-M is right on target ... coming from Karl (let's see your neck and hands, Karl, show me what's under that collar and gloves, then we'll talk), this is the height of hypocrisy.

Besides, I thought the world had recently expressed its opinion wrt German standards of perfection and their enforcement (you remember, a little thing called WWII) ... :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chelsea1969
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->