H&m Hits Back At Lagerfeld

Acid and AlexN make me seriously embarassed to be here. This just enforces the absolute worst stereotypes about people who are interested or involved in fashion; what's worse is that it demonstrates how much truth is in this stereotype.

Sometimes people turn into the most amazing assholes simply because they happened to win the genetic lottery.

And since I make my living in the health field, running statistical analysis on genetic and proteomic data, please don't try to make some kind of weak claim about the lack of willpower obese people have, or how they are lazy they are--or better yet, a demonstration of the general laziness of Americans--or any other such nonsense, because I will electronically shove reams of data down your throat indicating otherwise.

Originally posted by kLm@Nov 29 2004, 11:42 PM
Acid and AlexN make me seriously embarassed to be here. This just enforces the absolute worst stereotypes about people who are interested or involved in fashion; what's worse is that it demonstrates how much truth is in this stereotype.

Sometimes people turn into the most amazing assholes simply because they happened to win the genetic lottery.

And since I make my living in the health field, running statistical analysis on genetic and proteomic data, please don't try to make some kind of weak claim about the lack of willpower obese people have, or how they are lazy they are--or better yet, a demonstration of the general laziness of Americans--or any other such nonsense, because I will electronically shove reams of data down your throat indicating otherwise.
[snapback]444093[/snapback]​
That is incredibly rude and unnecessary. I don't know who you think you are coming in here with five posts and calling us assholes. Acid was being over-the-top just as many other people are being in this thread. The only difference is you don't agree with his viewpoint. I happen to agree with arguments from both sides. While I am fully aware that many obese people cannot control their weight problem, I also feel that obesity is becoming more accepted (at least in the U.S.), which is not good. Furthermore, nowhere did I say that a size 8-10 was obese. I think the first sizerange someone mentioned was 14 and over (which for some people could be obese, and maybe not for others). Also, I understand that H&M should be able to provide people of all shapes and sizes with clothing. However, I strongly believe that Karl Lagerfeld has the right to free speech and freedom of expression by designing for whoever he wants.

I truly hope the remainder of your posts here aren't this arrogant and condescending.

ok...don't make me get midieval on you guys...

not fair to lump acid and alex together...and alex...the largest size that the lagerfeld collection comes in is 14...beyond that is a plus size and nothing is available in a plus size...

it is obvious that some of acid's and alex's comments have offended some of our members...i mean, seriously sean....that tent comment was really unecessary... i'm sure you meant it as a joke...but it's a sensitive area...so i'm really not surprised at some peoples' reactions...
let's try to be more thoughtful how we word our comments... it costs nothing to be sensitive to others ...
thank you everyone!

karl is an arrogant son of a b*tch...can we all agree on that>?!?!... ^_^ B)

:kiss:

Thank you for the clarification, Softie. I took and reinforced Acid's comments as light-hearted, joking exaggerations, but I understand how many people are offended by such comments. So I do sincerely apologize to anyone offended.

Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 29 2004, 03:13 PM
This is just stupid. If he wants to design for skinny people, he has the right to design for skinny people. Period. End of story.
[snapback]443468[/snapback]​

I 2nd that!

Originally posted by Emilie@Nov 30 2004, 12:36 AM
I 2nd that!
[snapback]444172[/snapback]​
To clarify, when I said that, I was just trying to make the point that he has the right to design for whoever he wants. But of course, it's not that simple. I often make such exaggerated statements that I feel are obvious, but of course are always taken much more literally than intended. In the future, I'll try to refrain.

thanks alex...i'm sure you didn't men to offend anyone and i think it takes a certain kind of person to apologize the way you did...

much appreciated and much respect... :wink: :flower:

hopefully we can all settle down now... :heart: :kiss:

Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 30 2004, 01:46 AM
To clarify, when I said that, I was just trying to make the point that he has the right to design for whoever he wants. But of course, it's not that simple. I often make such exaggerated statements that I feel are obvious, but of course are always taken much more literally than intended. In the future, I'll try to refrain.
[snapback]444184[/snapback]​

Thank you, Alex. Now if only we can get Acid and Miss Lagerfeld to eat their hasty words, all will be well with the world. :wink:

Originally posted by Acid@Nov 29 2004, 06:13 PM
its not natural to be that big though Meg
people werent like this 50, 60 years ago, so why should they be now?
[snapback]443634[/snapback]​
I'm not going to become involved with the larger debate here, but... :innocent:

images106446_Marilyn%20Monroe%2012.jpg

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Nov 30 2004, 01:03 AM
I'm not going to become involved with the larger debate here, but... :innocent:

images106446_Marilyn%20Monroe%2012.jpg

[snapback]444196[/snapback]​
:clap: :clap: :clap:

yea.. I didn't really appreciate that whole tent comment either. I overlook certain ignorances though.

I think it is extreme to call someone over a size 14 obese.

At the same time if Karl designed his closthes for thin people then so what?

I think Karl just needs to realize that H&M is is a mass market company and selling clothes in sizes only below 14 is just not going to cut it. He should and does know better.

But as far as the weight issue I think the designer should make their clothes in whatever sizes they like. However I also think making sizes higher than a 14 is not encouraging obesity and excessive weight. And if you don't think curves are sexy then you have never picked up an issue of Playboy.

GUYS DON'T JACK OFF TO VOGUE.

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Nov 29 2004, 05:23 PM
No. If he wants to design exclusively for skinny people, then he can start a line called "THIN by Lagerfeld" and sell it in an exclusive "THIN by Lagerfeld" boutique where armed guards only allow customers in if they weigh less than 120 pounds, male or female. But to expect a huge multi-national chain like H&M to produce his clothes only in small sizes is just ridiculous. I thought this kind of body fascism was kept behind closed doors in the fashion industry these days. Thanks to Herr Lagerfeld for making me feel embarrassed for being a part of this world.
[snapback]443494[/snapback]​

i agree 100%

i wish y all were at the Uganda fashion week that ended yesterday there were sizes from the smallest 8 to about 20 and you shouldve seen who stole the show!!!!

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 29 2004, 05:38 PM
thanks for this topic and for all the great contributions since you've become a member...
[snapback]443524[/snapback]​

:heart: really appreciate your remark! thanks!

^^you're very welcome...i mean it... :flower: :wink:

Originally posted by luna@Nov 30 2004, 01:10 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

yea.. I didn't really appreciate that whole tent comment either. I overlook certain ignorances though.
[snapback]444203[/snapback]​
And for the record, she was a size twelve. :winkiss:

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 30 2004, 12:28 AM
karl is an arrogant son of a b*tch...can we all agree on that>?!?!... ^_^ B)

:kiss:
[snapback]444163[/snapback]​
lol I think agreement on that fact will let us set aside our differences :lol: brilliant designer, but he can come off sounding like such a b*tch :rolleyes:

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 30 2004, 02:44 AM
armani?!?...mister fake bake himself?...natural?!?!...um...i don't think so...
he's about as natural as george hamilton!!!... :ninja: :lol:
and he's stretched so much...he must be on his 5th face lift by now... :wacko:

:lol: :flower:
[snapback]443748[/snapback]​

I've seen him many times from very nearby and he looks good, he may have had a facelift but it doesn't look tacky or tragic. He takes care of his body as well. The nose is a bit weird though, have to admit that.

alura...you may think he looks good...and that's your opinion which you are certainly entitled to...however much i disagree...

but you mentioned the word 'natural'...which is just NOT even close to being true... ^_^ :lol:

especially that nose that you mentioned...eeek!!!.... :o :ninja:

QUOTE(Acid @ Nov 29 2004, 05:56 PM)
i think Karl has every right to say what he has said

people these days are getting WAY TOO FAT......i find it disgusting and unacceptable.
why shouldnt he be able to choose who he makes clothes for? its HIS decision

why should designers be pressured into making clothes for round people? they wont show off the designs how they should look
if H&M want to make clothes for fat people........sell tents
QUOTE(AlexN @ Nov 29 2004, 05:59 PM)
That's exactly the way I feel!!!!!

Whoa, bro, sorry I didn't rack up 1000 posts before calling you out. If "That's exactly the way [you] feel!!!!!", then what are you apologizing for? Anyway, keep on backpedalling son!

And yeah, it should go without saying that Lagerfeld can say anything he wants and design for whoever he wants. However, it doesn't factor into the fact that he's still a dick.

I truly hope the remainder of your posts here aren't this arrogant and condescending.

I truly hope the rest of your posts here aren't so misinformed, obnoxious, rude, or ill-mannered as the ones you've contributed to this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blissfullychelle
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->