H&m Hits Back At Lagerfeld

Originally posted by liberty33r1b@Nov 29 2004, 01:26 PM
and other question: Did you buy something from his collection, if so, what?
[snapback]443156[/snapback]​

thanks for this topic and for all the great contributions since you've become a member...
so, did you buy anything from the collection yourself?... :flower:

i think Karl has every right to say what he has said

people these days are getting WAY TOO FAT......i find it disgusting and unacceptable.
why shouldnt he be able to choose who he makes clothes for? its HIS decision

why should designers be pressured into making clothes for round people? they wont show off the designs how they should look
if H&M want to make clothes for fat people........sell tents

Originally posted by Acid@Nov 29 2004, 05:56 PM

people these days are getting WAY TOO FAT......i find it disgusting and unacceptable.

why should designers be pressured into making clothes for round people? they wont show off the designs how they should look
[snapback]443576[/snapback]​
:lol: That's exactly the way I feel!!!!!

because sean, people come in all different sizes and regardless of whether or not you think people should be 'round' they are. I find it very insensitive to think that only thin people deserve to look nice. I don't understand how you can call another human being 'disgusting' because you think they are overweight.

its not natural to be that big though Meg
people werent like this 50, 60 years ago, so why should they be now?

Originally posted by Acid@Nov 29 2004, 05:56 PM

[snapback]443576[/snapback]​

excuse me sean...but what the heck are you talking about?!?!...
WHAT pressure?...who said he HAD to design for h&m?...certainly if anyone has the freedom to make decisions like this it's miss multimilionaire karlotta...it seems like if he accepted a check from h&m...then he accepted the deal...since when does h&m only design for a small segment of the population?...
this is not about karl...it's about karl for h&m...as m-o-m said...if he wants to only design skinny clothes he is free to do so...but not at h&m...what's the argument?... i really don't see it...and that is pretty much why he was forced to apologize...it was too ridicuous...even for him... anyway...he did design clothes that look better on taller, slimmer people...which is why those are the sizes that sold out...

:rolleyes: :lol:

ps-we're not even talking plus sizes here...we're only talking size 10, 12, and 14... do you even know what a woman that size looks like?...believe me..it's not obese or even fat...it's just curvy... :wacko: ...this is not about people being too fat...this is seriously just karl having second thoughts about working with h&m...

whatever...it just means he won't do another collection for them and my stuff will be worth more in the long run...yay!!! :woot: :lol:

Originally posted by Acid@Nov 29 2004, 06:13 PM
its not natural to be that big though Meg
people werent like this 50, 60 years ago, so why should they be now?
[snapback]443634[/snapback]​

sorry sean...but you are incorrect...they absolutely wereas big...and sometimes bigger in terms of the ammount of flesh on their bodies...you only need to go to a museum to see all the curvy full figured paintings and statues to know that...in the 50's people wore corsets and girdles to acheive the tiny look...it was NOT natural...

plus people have gotten bigger in genereal...look at the costume section of the v&a...you will see that all the clothes from the 1800's are terribly tiny...people were just built smaller...their entire frame and bone structure was smaller...now, due to modern medicine and diet...humans are bigger than they were...this is a scientific fact... :flower:

so bigger bones structure and regular ammount of flesh add up to bigger people in general...
this is true of the general population...if you don't believe me ...do the research... :wink: :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 29 2004, 06:14 PM
if he wants to only design skinny clothes he is free to do so...but not at h&m...
[snapback]443636[/snapback]​
Ahh, now the two views have met midway. :flower:

I just dont think its a healthy messege to send out to people that they can be fat and still be sexy
because it wont motivate them to do anything about themselves

its like bad children.......if u dont tell them off firmly then they wont listen

edit: sorry Softie, i just have strong feelings against obesity

Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 29 2004, 06:23 PM
Ahh, now the two views have met midway. :flower:
[snapback]443646[/snapback]​

well alex...that has always been the topic...karl for h&m... :flower: :wink:

i see what you are saying sean...but we're not talking obesity...as i said...a 10, 12, or 14 is NOT even really fat... especially if you take height , etc into account...

ps... what about what m-o-m mentioned about karl's former size?!?!...and he doesn't look any better now...imho...personally, i think he's the one who's disgusting... :ninja: :yuk:

Well H&M, that's what you get when dealing with a Prima-Donna with a sharp tongue! Better stick to interns :wink: and rip ideas out of them haha.

I think Karl is just being Karl, just ignore it, I think most people are. The fashion industry is always being slaughtered for sending out a message of: the thinner the better! but at the same time obesity is rising and rising. It's becoming a greater health risk than smoking! I think everybody should be free to wear his designs, maybe he can comfort himself by knowing that the designs will only look really good on a thin/well proportioned person. Chiffon and silk aren't exactly flattering to lovehandles :wink:.

Let's be honest, take Dior Homme, can any guy that's not anorexic wear this? I think a 'healthy' guy that works out won't be able to fit into them! Size discrimination does happen all the time.

Originally posted by Acid@Nov 29 2004, 07:24 PM
I just dont think its a healthy messege to send out to people that they can be fat and still be sexy
because it wont motivate them to do anything about themselves

its like bad children.......if u dont tell them off firmly then they wont listen

edit: sorry Softie, i just have strong feelings against obesity
[snapback]443650[/snapback]​

It's one thing to be against obesity and the physical and monetary strains it places on the global population. And it's a completely other thing to label a woman who wears a size 8 or 10 as obese. Fashion people tend to be so lost in the worlds they revolve in that they forget exactly what reality is. And when you're designing for a global retailer whose client base is very much 'real', then you need to take into consideration their wants and needs. Simple as that.

Sean, not everyone is born to be 6 feet tall and thin as a rake. And you have no right to call people disgusting in the name of some sort of twisted social justice activism. Please don't be so brazen in throwing out these ridiculous, offensive comments. I'm sure you think you're speaking our minds for us, but you're really just being ignorant and immature.

As for fat not being sexy. . . I think it's high time women stopped relying on withered old queens like Lagerfeld to tell them what sexy is. Ask the average male if he finds Hana Soukupova or Jennifer Lopez to be more sexy. I think that's your answer.

Originally posted by softgrey@Nov 30 2004, 01:29 AM
what about what m-o-m mentioned about karl's former size?!?!...and he doesn't look any better now...imho...personally, i think he's the one who's disgusting... :ninja:  :yuk:
[snapback]443660[/snapback]​

Sorry Soft, just saw this remark after posting the other post. I think he looks good, for what he is able to look :wink:. It's a style, he stands out, he's a star, he shouldn't look like an average-joe. I think many celebs are trying to be too normal anyway, I think we should go back to the 50's era when elegance was part of a star's appearance.

I personally think that plastic Tommy Hilfiger is a lot scarier to look at, or Ralph Lauren. If you want to name a designer that is aging great, it's Giorgio Armani, natural, works out and has some sort of youthfulness I like.

chick, I completely agree with you

Originally posted by Alura@Nov 29 2004, 07:17 PM
If you want to name a designer that is aging great, it's Giorgio Armani, natural, works out and has some sort of youthfulness I like.
[snapback]443726[/snapback]​

armani?!?...mister fake bake himself?...natural?!?!...um...i don't think so...
he's about as natural as george hamilton!!!... :ninja: :lol:
and he's stretched so much...he must be on his 5th face lift by now... :wacko:

:lol: :flower:

I believe that all this controversy is just PUBLICITY!!

Do you think that H&M and Laferfeld forgot to specify in their multimillonaire contract which sizes they were going to produce????

this is the best way of saying "fatties: come to H&M and you will find sexy & "classy" clothes for you..."

:innocent:

Originally posted by mikeijames+Nov 29 2004, 04:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikeijames @ Nov 29 2004, 04:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>so true...and i don't even think that statistic is true for women worldwide. maybe in america where unhealthy obesity is the norm, but i can think of at least two to three billion people that don't fit that generalization.
[snapback]443393[/snapback]​
[/b]

I don't think they mean he's targetting only sizes 0-2, but c'mon.. Just cause you are a larger size does not mean you are obese. I have to wear a size 12-14 on top because of my 36DD's. There's nothing I can do to fix this besides surgery, and why take away what God gave me?

Originally posted by AlexN@Nov 29 2004, 05:13 PM
This is just stupid. If he wants to design for skinny people, he has the right to design for skinny people. Period. End of story.
[snapback]443468[/snapback]​
Have you seen the people that shop at H&M. It's quite possibly the most diverse crowd of women and men I've ever seen. Larger women, tiny scary thin women, children. If he wanted to have only skinny things wearing his clothes, H&M was like the polar opposite of where he should've gone with this line.

<!--QuoteBegin-metal-on-metal
@Nov 29 2004, 05:23 PM
No. If he wants to design exclusively for skinny people, then he can start a line called "THIN by Lagerfeld" and sell it in an exclusive "THIN by Lagerfeld" boutique where armed guards only allow customers in if they weigh less than 120 pounds, male or female. But to expect a huge multi-national chain like H&M to produce his clothes only in small sizes is just ridiculous. I thought this kind of body fascism was kept behind closed doors in the fashion industry these days. Thanks to Herr Lagerfeld for making me feel embarrassed for being a part of this world.
[snapback]443494[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Exactly.

I'm actually very insulted. Who the hell is he? He f*cking looks like a plastic mannequin in most of his pictures.

I'd rather have to wear a size 12 blazer than have to wear that ugly face of his.

Originally posted by luna@Nov 29 2004, 09:30 PM
I'm actually very insulted. Who the hell is he? He f*cking looks like a plastic mannequin in most of his pictures.
[snapback]443834[/snapback]​
:lol:

Sometimes a little profanity can adequately express what miles of civil discourse can't. Thank you for your personal spin, luna. I completely agree. :flower:

I may be off base, but doesn't Chanel make the sizes Lagerfeld is blasting? Oh I suppose if people are willing to plunk down a few K for his suits then its OK to have it fit them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blissfullychelle
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->