Laser Hair Removal

zoelemon

Reaction score
has anyone had the procedure done?I have some extra money and was considering doing my under arms or something like that-because It would be awesome not to shave anymore. was it painfull? is it 100% permanent?

Laser treatments are more or less painful usually. It depends on what kind of laser is used, and what for. You won't need painkillers or anything to have hair removed.

I'm having a tattoo removed, and the laser feels like someone is snapping a rubberband against the skin a few times. Hard. The skin will feel a bit warm for a couple of hours afterwards. But it's really not painful. More inconvinient, if that makes sense.

It is permanent, but depending on the hairs growth cycles you'll probably need 3-4 treatments to catch them all. (Laser won't remove hairs which aren't in the growing phase.)

If you have pale skin and light hair, or very dark skin, chances are it won't work very well at all because the laser targets the darker pigments of the hairs compared to the skin. The ideal candidate has very pale skin and black hairs.

thanks- I think the whole rubber band smaking my skin sounds AWFUL! Lol- I amstill interested it it-because it would save me so much time from shaving and I hate that stuff...so-we'll see hopefully I keep learning more about it.Thanks

But ive heard stories of people getting seriously burnt :unsure:

So if you do decide to do it, make sure its at a reliable salon with a professional therapist, not the chick on work experience ^_^

burnt?what do you mean?-I trust that I would go to a good place-but am still curious

It hurts more or worse on different parts of your skin... depending how sensitive your skin is.
My doc gave me a topical numbing cream, which takes some of the edge off. Take a dose of advil about an hour before.
They should put aloe gel on the skin during treatment, and cortaid cream after.
The pain went away in under an hour for me, I was hardly red at all (and I have VERY sensitive skin!)

I would definitely have it done in a doctors office, even though a tech will probly do it, at least it will be a safe, clean environment, under medical supervision. Those laser factories are scary, and I would worry about how safe they are...

I had my first laser hair treatment about 3 weeks ago. The hairs fell out - I'd say I have maybe 10% of the hair still growing in that area. IT HURT! I did not do the numbing cream - but a friend of mine had it done and said each treatment hurts less..... it is zapping the hair follicles, so if you have less to zap, you have less pain.

Also, the more coarse the hair, the more painful..... Totally heard some mini-explosions/burning hair.... but SO very worth it! The pain is so temporary and the treatments pay for themselves in a few years if you wax regularly. Also, my place has a one year guarantee ..... for a year after the last appt. if I have any hair growth they will zap it for free. It is a skincare/laser clinic.... my laser girl is a nurse practitioner.... just FYI on qualifications....

i had it done on my face...i have dark skin and dark hair so make sure you go to a salon that has a yag laser which can do such skin and hair color types...it hurt like a b*tch but is worth it...but for underarms? its a personal decision, but i dont see how that is worth it, its so expensive...but hey, if thats what you want, it may be worth it for you...itll probably take awhile since underarm hair is courser

I'm looking to have laser hair removal done.I have been going for a lip wax for years and would prefer a more permanent solution. Has anyone of your had it done? is it safe and most importantly does it work? Should I see a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon?

Sorry this doesn't really answer your question, does a lip wax hurt? It just seem like it would and how long does it last?

laser hair removal is awesome! you don't need to see a dermatologist unless you are extremely sensitive. your skin coloring has alot to do with the type of machine acceptable -- very important because you don't want scarring. light skin requires about 4-5 treatments. darker skin requires 5 and up. the pain is bearable.. feels like a rubberband pulling back and snapping you. a topical or ice should help minimize the pain. my treatments were 8-10 weeks apart.there's no bleeding, the area will be a bit red and maybe, maybe puffy. i had the laser performed at a spa with a certified laser technician. it is safe, and the results are awesome. hope this helps

lip wax - depending on your pain level but they have brought tears to my eyes. not because it was extremely painful but more so because the area is very sensitive. eek! last for about 2 weeks to a month - depending on your hair growth, color

I find lip waxing doesn't hurt at all... now a brazilian... OWIE!

I'm very very interested in laser hair removal as well. What's the difference between that and electrolysis? or are they the same thing

I have pale skin and dark hair, apparently good for removal but bad for visable body hair.

How much does laser cost?

I want to have it anyway, so price doesn't reeally matter, but I'm just curious :smile:

For laser hair removal to be effective, you need light skin and dark hairs because the laser targets the darker pigmentation. I have light blond hair and light skin, laser hair removal won't work well, if at all.

Cost is a couple of/a few hundreds/treatment usually; depends on the area you want treated, of course! Full legs will be more expensive than an upper lip, obviously.

I actually get waxing done right now, it doesn't hurt (it's fast) it's just that I have to be repeating it every 2-4 weeks. and I just want to get it over with.

Kora said:
I'm looking to have laser hair removal done.I have been going for a lip wax for years and would prefer a more permanent solution. Has anyone of your had it done? is it safe and most importantly does it work? Should I see a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon?

my sister got her upper lip done with laser, and it worked perfectly :smile:

SPAM not allowed at tfs, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
i am doing it right now with a alexandrite laser. i always see those plastic surgery shows ont v saying youll have permanant hair loss after like 4-5 treatments. they are either full of crap or i have a sh*tty aesthetician. i have to go for 1 full year and i go every 4 weeks. near the middle of 3rd week the hairs start to grow back. ive been through like 9 months so far and it still grows back but there is just less then before. i dont think laser hair removal is ever permanant. i think most places guarantee a 60% REDUCTION, but never 100% permanant.

electrolosis... ouch. i tried it when i was younger on my upper lip. hurt like a mofo. imagaine having a needle stuck into your pore and having what feels like a blast of air into your pore. not fun. but i was like 14 or something, so it was probably a low pain thresh hold

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loquillinben
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->