LASIK / Laser Refractive Surgery

masquerade

God Save McQueen
Reaction score
Yesterday I had lasik done. My eyes are still a bit sore and I am not seeing 100 percent, but I am really excited about the changes that have already started happening.

I figure there has to be more people on TFS who have had the procedure or who are considering it, so maybe we can have a discussion about it.

It's definitely a weird procedure, like nothing I could even describe. And I didn't think it would hurt that much after the numbing drops wore off.

So, please, I would love to hear from people who have had it, or are thinking of having it. I can't be the only one here!

i am most definitely getting it when i turn 21 - although contacts are wonderful things, they can be so god damn annoying at times! and what better way to spend your money than on being able to see? kim kardashian, jessica simpson and kristin cavallari have all had it done and documented it and i thought it was fascinating!
really interested to see how you get on in the next days/weeks, masquerade, how very exciting for you!

^When I was having anxiety over getting it, Luxx wisely told me, "If Jessica Simpson can do it, you can do it." Anyway, you can watch procedures done, but nothing will prepare you for what you see when it's happening to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! Definitely keep us updated.

How long did the procedure go for?

I'd like to get it, but I apparently have to wait until my myopia settles down first.

Congrats! Definitely keep us updated.

How long did the procedure go for?

I'd like to get it, but I apparently have to wait until my myopia settles down first.

They said about 15 minutes. I wasn't really paying attention to time though during :lol:

I don't have the guts. It can go horribly wrong :doh:

that's what I used to think, but there was not one recorded case of someone going blind from LASIK..it is just important to wait enough.

Well my eyes are too bad for LASIK anyway..

Oh really? How bad is too bad?

ETA: just read that it varies, but usually about -12 diopters for myopia.

I think I'm about -6.5 and it's getting worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was -6 in one eye and -3 in the other. Basically, you can't go too far because your cornea has to be thick enough. The higher the number, the more tissue they remove.

There is a lot that can go wrong, but any procedure, even a dental filling can have a million things go wrong.

Oh really? How bad is too bad?

ETA: just read that it varies, but usually about -12 diopters for myopia.

I think I'm about -6.5 and it's getting worse.

I am -14 and -14.5 for my contacts and my glasses are even 2 dioptries higher ..*sigh*
There are other options, but much more expensive.

it hurts? before or after? lol for some reason i always thought it wouldnt hurt, kind of naive of me though thinking about it now.. hello, laser?

ive had relatives, uncles and aunts, that had it done. im planning on getting it when im done with school, my optometrist said i should wait til i finish school because my eyes can get worse and its better to wait when my vision is settled. right now im -4.50 and thank goodness it has not changed for 2 years.. soon!

i will definitely be getting lasik too, hopefully before the end of the year.

I'll definitely get lasik, but not now. My only worry though is that my blurry vision might come back after a few years... is that possible?

it hurts? before or after? lol for some reason i always thought it wouldnt hurt, kind of naive of me though thinking about it now.. hello, laser?

ive had relatives, uncles and aunts, that had it done. im planning on getting it when im done with school, my optometrist said i should wait til i finish school because my eyes can get worse and its better to wait when my vision is settled. right now im -4.50 and thank goodness it has not changed for 2 years.. soon!

I definitely didn't expect that it would hurt as much as it did. They numb you out with drops during the procedure and when they wear off it hurts so bad. They suggest you fall asleep for 2-4 hours to help healing and to just sleep through the pain. After the 4 hours, the severe pain was gone and it just feels dry and itchy.

And your eyes can get worse over time if you develop eye problems not related to your corneas. Like many people require reading glasses when they are 40+ because the muscles in the eyes weaken. Changing the shape of the cornea will not affect the muscles.

I got lasik done in Jun 2009, it's been 7 months since my surgery.

The surgery took 5-8 minutes and I felt no pain, I would say the following 2-4 days you feel discomfort due to the eye-drop and recovery regime. After that it's 3 drops a day for a few weeks. Then only on an as-needs basis. I generally had dry eyes before the surgery and they say Lasik makes your eyes dryer so I use 1-2 drops per day.

I still have perfect vision but not as perfect as right after the surgery. I don't have any complaints besides the dryness and am very happy with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->