Liu Wen

Massimo Dutti NYC Collection F/W 2015
005G4rIejw1evbmi8froyj30as0g340n.jpg

005G4rIejw1evbmi8u17gj30as0g3jt4.jpg

005G4rIejw1evbmi9auoqj30gp0m8tcq.jpg

005G4rIejw1evbmi9r1h7j30me0g3n0v.jpg

005G4rIejw1evbmi6u1raj30as0g3gng.jpg

weibo

Not too thrilled for the cover image but it indeed look better once you have it in your hands (despite my bad quality). Plus the paper quality and gold masthead is a given nice touch. The best part is that the edit is even better in print (because digitally, wasn't that fond of the shots). Not the best Sept. issue from VC, but as an admirer, had to get this issue. Just my little sharing. :flower:

my snaps

BTS...

instagram/angelica_cheung, tumblr/agelesssoul-vickizhao, vogue.com.cn, weibo.com

How cool to see Liu back with Massimo (although for a different line). Think she looks great. I mean there's a youthfulness that radiates from her face (thanks to the makeup and styling too), yet still retaining her 'womanly-ness' too in two of her shots. Love how she is modeling/photographed differently in each shot and its location. It's fitting for that particular look. Overall it's a very good campaign (because I want some of those pieces as autumn rolls by!).

And just adore the Modern Weekly edit with the two different stories/atmosphere/mood of 80s interpretation. A nice contrast within a broader editorial. Like the Loewe, Proenza, Givenchy and Farragamo pieces/shots the most.

Thanks for posting these, liuyuyanglyy :flower:

Upcoming project with Andreea & Edita. A commercial job?

instagrams: andreeadiddy & glasscenter

More preview shots...

instagram/smile199109

Next Catalogue Pre-Fall 2015

next.co.uk

Random but still. Chinese Valentines was last week.

laperla.com/cn

An advertorial for Estee Lauder in the current VC Sept. issue.
*It's actually a six page spread of the 'New Dimension' serum with Eva Mendes.

weibo.com

Is anyone concern or curious about Liu's contract with EL? Wonder if there are/were any recent changes to her contract; or renegotiations of the details that might entail much differently than before (seemingly, there has). And it could be on EL's part or Liu's.

However am aware that at the end of the day, if Liu is still contracted, all it matters is that she's getting her end of the deal. Good. Still seems a bit weird though...

(Anyway have EL ever hired other Asian women before in East Asia? Because Ruby Lin, who also participated in the same show as Liu, is also a spokesperson to the company. Correct if it's wrong, but believe she's a recent addition. Coincidence? Just curious.)

BTS...

instagram/laperlalingerie, weibo.com

+

weibo/modelliuwen

I must say that Liu has one of the weirdest careers of all the top girls and in a way, I feel like her agencies have failed her. She's obviously getting work and editorial coverage but it's all in Asia, and when she does book work from the Western Hemisphere, it's on a smaller scale. They've failed to do for her what other agencies were able to do for the girls from Liu's group, namely Joan and Karlie, even if it seems like they had everything needed to be able to push her.

I mean, a huge global Estee Lauder contract, first Asian model doing Victoria's Secret, booking many of the big shows. Those are things her agency could have used to get her more coverage Stateside so she could get the covers, eds, and eventually campaigns. i just don't understand why she's not more known both in and outside the industry... and outside Asia!

I suppose if she's happy just making the money and working, that's fine, but should she decide to actually become a brand herself, she needs to shutter all her current agency contracts and jump ship. IMG has a way of turning already successful girls in big brands...

I must say that Liu has one of the weirdest careers of all the top girls and in a way, I feel like her agencies have failed her. She's obviously getting work and editorial coverage but it's all in Asia, and when she does book work from the Western Hemisphere, it's on a smaller scale. They've failed to do for her what other agencies were able to do for the girls from Liu's group, namely Joan and Karlie, even if it seems like they had everything needed to be able to push her.

I mean, a huge global Estee Lauder contract, first Asian model doing Victoria's Secret, booking many of the big shows. Those are things her agency could have used to get her more coverage Stateside so she could get the covers, eds, and eventually campaigns. i just don't understand why she's not more known both in and outside the industry... and outside Asia!

I suppose if she's happy just making the money and working, that's fine, but should she decide to actually become a brand herself, she needs to shutter all her current agency contracts and jump ship. IMG has a way of turning already successful girls in big brands...

I agree. She needs proper jobs to get her status elevated, instead her agency put her into numerous commercial contracts, but that coin fountain will stop someday when she's not big anymore, the point is she never got enough blue chip jobs as her teammates scored one by one, I don't believe her potential was ever drew out completely

Are we simply faulting the Society/Elite for their mismanagement altogether and not thinking of other reasons too? Genuinely asking.

As much I'd like to put the burden on the agency/agents... I also think that it's at the hands of Liu and the power players that we should also consider before making these assessment. (Or have y'all? Just curious.)

First, we know how Liu is. She's a hard worker and a professional at her job. But she's also a really sweet and 'normal' person. Personally I think she has limitations which could cost her some jobs. Her skills, performance, personality and image are taken into account too. And I'm just not sure that many people are sold on Liu, as not working with her yet or as frequently. As much I hate to say that I want to be realistic. And obviously this is applicable to all models, just not Liu.

Secondly, how many people is Liu a muse to? Who are these people that will take her under their arm and call her 'family'? I mean, where's her support system? I know she has them but they aren't making the loudest of noises for Liu either, you know.

If we look at Joan and Karlie, we already know how much backing they have. Ranges from photogs, editors, stylists, CD, designers and with their credentials, they've attracted musicians, celebs and business folks among others. They've branched out. Transitioned. Evolved.

Seriously, I think we all know how critical it is for a model to have those big names on one's team. Because sometimes it's about who you know and the connections you have that would ease the process for you, right?

Basically, is the Society/Elite introducing or connecting Liu to the right people. I mean she still has to, despite her status right? :unsure:

I must say that Liu has one of the weirdest careers of all the top girls and in a way, I feel like her agencies have failed her.

Very much with you that her agency have failed (some may perceive it subjectively/say otherwise) to catapult Liu to the same heights as her peers recently. No question there. However gotta give them credits for the many past things that made who Liu Wen is today. They just lost it somewhere along the way, I think.

Agree about her western work. The exception is American Vogue. Which Vogue has been quite supportive through the years and consistently, as in annually.

Anyway it's indeed complicated and really frickin weird. Because we know that Liu has practically worked with all of the big photogs (yes she did); walked all the major shows except a few names (not to mention at one point she was the most walked girl of the season); appeared in all major Vogue editions (she did but minimal appearances); obtained the holy grail of modeling with her EL contract (though fizzling); first East Asian to walk VS (after four years, no longer associated); first Asian to appear on Forbes list of models and back-to-back (questionable?); her apple gig (was that groundbreaking though?); and her near 14 million followers world-wide among other first timers.

Sounds ungrateful when typing that... But what else she has to do to get her due and properly? *Included the side commentary for context and the reality, please forgive.

Ad campaigns and covers? Very difficult to get any, considering the influx of models and repeaters. To go back what was said earlier, Liu needs to build stronger and solid relationships with the designers or the business folks who are running the fashion houses. Then again, it's weird when Ghesquiere is all cool with Liu she hasn't got a campaign; or not a Michael Kors campaign even though that slot is reserved. JPG is too late. Incidentally, it's the creative team that could dictate the choice of model too. So that's another issue.

On a related good note. We could probably say that in terms of campaigns, her association with Calvin Klein was the best thing going for her. We don't see many models, let alone Asians, have that kind of opportunity to front the campaigns consecutively (albeit MG until she got her shine). And that was years (did she had a contract?). Have to give props to Baron and M&M, if they were the main supporters.

...i just don't understand why she's not more known both in and outside the industry... and outside Asia!

Not to mention Liu isn't that popular among the tFS community. Knows her name but not really interested...

Outside of fashion I think this is where Liu is currently working to grasp Asia in her hands (but more like East and Southeast Asia and Asians everywhere). As for elsewhere? Not sure. Perhaps that may be next, after conquering Asia?

However, still think Liu is pretty well-known among the fashion industry (but maybe not of all crowds), given her reputation and years of working. I really do. She's probably not as popular but her face/name is recognizable. No doubt!

I suppose if she's happy just making the money and working, that's fine...

Agree. And I speculate Liu has other priority in life? Either way, I don't think Liu is giving up just yet. Really looking forward to 2016.

Thanks ThatRascal for your perspective! :flower:

*repost for original layout and for clearer quality/single shots, go here

MODERN WEEKLY CHINA AUG. 2015
'80s Star'
Ph: Dario Catellani
Stylist: Karen Langley
Hair: Peter Gray
Makeup: Zenia Jaeger
Nails: Christine Marshall

dariocatellani.com, sina/fashionmodels

Without translations, it appears there is a mini written portion about Liu.
Perhaps the usual story and overview of her stature?

*repost for clearer quality and description*

MASSIMO DUTTI NYC F/W 2015
Ph: Hunter & Gatti

massimodutti.com

Interestingly, Liu is described as a 'fashion star'...

gif by me

youtube

Tomorrow Liu will partake in her latest UNICEF charity event.
Lucky fans and admirers will be able to meet the supermodel up close! More info below.
It's in Beijing.

weibo.com

Announcement to all fans participating in Liu Wen's Unicef yoga event this coming Saturday!

With regards to our sister-in-law's Unicef event this Saturday, W hotel's event manager in-charge would like me to pass the message to 16 fans that:

1. LW is only participating in the yoga part and it will only last for 1.5 hours; she will not be there for the cocktail event and the rest.

2. The event starts at 3.30pm and registration opens at 3pm; placement will be according to the registration.

3. The yoga t-shirt has been mailed out; for those who will be staying in the hotel, your yoga t-shirt will be sent to your hotel rooms.

4. As there will be more than 100 fans participating in the event, safety will be the main priority but the hotel also understands that there will be overseas fans that specially flew in for the event (Some Siwon fans from Korea are flying specially for this event, LW have you practiced on your Korean?) so the hotel will try to arrange for a fan interaction segment.

5. They will be distributing Pomegranate juice at the event on that day and fan-made banners made by Korean fans will be given out based on first come first served basis.

6. Cameras and phones are allowed to be brought into the event as long as it doesn't hinder you doing the yoga.

7. For any other enquirers, feel free to contact the weibo user, she will also be staying in W hotel so fans can directly approach her too.
instagram/siwonliuwen

+ Liu was in her hometown a couple of days ago. She looks peaceful. ^_^

weibo/modelliuwen

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mookie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->