Louis Vuitton S/S 05

Originally posted by metal-on-metal@Oct 11 2004, 08:39 AM
I'm not the biggest fan but I try not to do logoed anything these days. I can see it being a potential hit on the scale of the Murakami bags. The cherry print is cute and if there's enough hype in the mass press, 12 year-old girls in Orange County will be dying for it.
[snapback]393541[/snapback]​
:lol: I think I agree

i think i may order one of the knit bags :innocent: :heart:

looking at some of the pictures closely, I find the stuff is very Marc Jacobs (like stuff he would have in his line, not Louis Vuitton)

Louis Vuitton: Get out your sunglasses

Suzy Menkes IHT

Sunday, October 10, 2004

The colors! Aaargh the colors! In the Stygian gloom of the show tent, metallic shades exploded like a giant car crash on the Louis Vuitton runway Sunday as the summer 2005 shows moved to their end.

Overhead, lighted orbs spun, photographers strewn round the runway flashed at the movie stars Maggie Gyllenhaal and Christina Ricci, who opened the show in one of the handful of quiet black outfits. The rest was a whirl of circular-patterned skirts with giant peep-hole cutouts, flower prints on hot pants, snug purple knits, cute crochet bags and even a purse in scarlet with the LV logo knitted in. Ah yes! This was a Vuitton show, which you might have guessed too from the denim top with logo pockets above a Cinderella shredded skirt. But what did all these voluminous, vaguely 1950s skirts have to do with the luxury house's travel heritage?

"It was just about having fun," said the designer Marc Jacobs innocently backstage. But the real story was brand extension. No wonder the show made all the editors reach for their sunshades. That was the big idea. Cut to Pharrell Williams, hip music producer and hit-maker sitting front row in the red glasses he had designed for the house, as Vuitton's latest co-operation between art and commerce. The sunglasses looked pretty cool and the bags were intriguing, especially logo purses printed with cherries given happy little faces. In the melee there were probably some luxurious and desirable clothes. But this was a weirdly psychedelic vision from Jacobs - and one best viewed through the rose-tinted shades.

Ugly, tired, boring, bland, whatever...

LV logo shorts, Gsus, I will be avoiding Soho next summer.

this collection looked more true to marc jacobs than his own signature lines. i liked almost everything...and while i think it's definitely one of the stronger collections we've seen this week, i think it's not as directional as most vuitton shows we've seen for the past two years.

huge bomb compared to last season...
HUGE... :doh:

but i always thought fall 04 was a fluke...i usually don't like jacobs' retro rip-offs...so things have just returned to normal for me... :P :innocent:

Originally posted by helena@Oct 11 2004, 07:10 AM
LV clothes are nothing like this in the shops though. In the shops its all hideous LV monogramed golf clothes!! For all the golfing ladies being the only ones who can actually afford LV. I think the show is a big decption..... like many of them are I suppose.
[snapback]393492[/snapback]​

yeah...i know what you mean helena... i used to go into the soho store looking for the runway stuff but all they ever had was that ugly logo junk...

you can ask faust...i was beside myself this season when they actually had the runway pieces right there ... :woot: :lol:

i had a moment... :innocent: :blush:

Originally posted by faust@Oct 11 2004, 09:50 AM
Ugly, tired, boring, bland, whatever...

LV logo shorts, Gsus, I will be avoiding Soho next summer.
[snapback]393585[/snapback]​
:o Exactly what I was going to post. :lol:

I loved the runway. I think that might have been my favorite thing in the collection. I liked that first black look on Christina Ricci, but other then that, I have to agree with mikeijames, not as focused, there wasn't one clear theme.

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 11 2004, 07:48 PM
yeah...i know what you mean helena... i used to go into the soho store looking for the runway stuff but all they ever had was that ugly logo junk...

you can ask faust...i was beside myself this season when they actually had the runway pieces right there ... :woot:  :lol:

i had a moment... :innocent:  :blush:
[snapback]394197[/snapback]​

Yes, softgrey proved quite strong when I tried to drag her out of the store. :lol: I'm still trying to understand how she duped me into going inside :P But I have to say, those shoes are beautiful...

lol...thanks for humouring me faust...i'm loving those shoes so much... :wub:

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 11 2004, 07:40 PM
huge bomb compared to last season...
HUGE... :doh:

but i always thought fall 04 was a fluke...i usually don't like jacobs' retro rip-offs...so things have just returned to normal for me... :P  :innocent:
[snapback]394186[/snapback]​

Yes, last season was quite wonderful except the crimson lips and ugly furs, isn't it? Some ensembles are a little too princess-y (Erin Wasson in a white shoulder wrap + green tiere dress), but the collection strikes a good balance between the whimsical and the wearable. I've always preferred good tailoring to slouchiness, even if it's Marni. Aside from the makeup and the fur, my only complaint was that some of the dresses are obscured by stoles and shoulder wraps, but in Vogue Nippon LV anniversary editorial you can actually see the cute details of the dresses because the "adornments" have been removed.

As for this season... Too Marc Jacobs/kitschy and not polished enough.

This worked:
00440f.jpg

This did NOT:
00230f.jpg

I do like:
00040f.jpg
00090f.jpg

Doubly disappointing if you look at how lazy Marc Jacobs' own collection is--where did he spend his time?

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 12 2004, 05:37 PM
lol...thanks for humouring me faust...i'm loving those shoes so much... :wub:
[snapback]395031[/snapback]​

my pleasure

just noticed - do you see he has copied Marni by doing the little ankle socks with round toed shoes. Marni did those this spring/summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->