Louis Vuitton S/S 11 Paris

I don't understand this collection at all. To me, it is almost as if he is making fun of chinoiserie and the designers and artists who used it. For me, this ironic take on chinoiserie is absolutely not amusing.

Besides, what I despise about this collection is how literal it all is. I don't mind the references (even though they not my taste) but what I do mind is that Marc has not even bothered to interpret these references with a modern perspective. He has literally, I assume, taken a shape / silhouette from a book or what not, and embellished it / made it in a vibrant colour.

Overall, this is lazy and pretentious. And from what I saw, there is very poor craftsmanship in comparison to last season. I feel sorry for the women who will be coerced into buying into this kitschy mess of a collection.

I would echo your very first point. The very first one.

We should try to judge a designer on their own terms? Marc will never be a conceptual designer, I don't think he has any pretentions in that respect. What he does well imho, when he's on form, is to capture, in a way like nobody else does, a zetigeist, a tribe, a mood, and style it out, channel it.

This is just heady, lascivious, tripped out FUN. Interpretation of references yada yada. Nobody cares. There's Cristal to be quoffed and a twenty pound note to roll.

I did so like the black marble runway and the tigers. I think I want to grow a 70's 'tache and wear my trousers tight at the crotch. Somehow though I don't want to listen to 70's disco much as I love it because that would be too predictable. Somehow Soft Cell's Non Stop Erotic Cabaret comes into my head. It's retro but it's crunchy, fast, sleazy, and very of the decadent night.

Entertain me I'm as blank as can be. And I think that I like it but no I don't like it. It just goes on over and over and over and over again.

There's a point where extreme hedonism just becomes edgy in and of itself. It's the don't give a flying.. attitude. This collection exudes that gone beyond it edge. It's post-ironic high kitsch gone beyond the edge of reason. Mental.

Coercion is a strong word. I see you dusting off your armour. But some disco dollies actually might like to be lured to a life this nice. You can lead a lurid besequined panda to water and you can make it drink. They'll be positively lapping it up. Is there no place like this down under Helmut? Or are your Sheila's all too busy rigorously interpreting references? I'll put my steak on the barbie with you though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not for me. And I loved LV so much last season the disappointment now hurts! Oh well. I see what he was trying to do its just not my favorite.

took the words out of my mouth.
there's not one look that i even remotely like. even the shoes look cheap :ninja: next..

:shock:

are you kidding me? the shoes are some of the best i've seen in ages!!! so filigrane, so thin, so utterly SEXY looking. they scream TOM FORD!

and i do love it when Marc does YSL. last time he did it, S/S 09, that African collection, oh Lordy, oh Lordy, that was insanity in a stick and i'd be waving that stick around like a crazy person. again, especially with the shoes from that collection.

i loved the reserved sex from F/W 10, but this explosion of textures, prints and colors for S/S 11 is an utter LSD fueled dream about Studio 54, set in early 1900's Shanghai or Hong Kong.

When i saw pictures i thought it was awful. But in video when girls move it dosent look that bad... i think you could combinate some of the looks for daily wear. and those dresses are pretty. but the whole collection looks like a lack of inspiration. Marc what happen? :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->