Mad Men

I really want to get the season 1 DVD for this show because it looks SO good! I just saw the two male leads on The View...

I love how it incorporates all the glamour of the 60's...

The show is probably the best tv show right now. Caught the marathon Sunday and was hooked instantly. I actually DVRED the first couple of episodes when it first aired but never got the chance to watch them. Sunday can't come fast enough. One thing though, I just don't understand how Peggy didn't know?

I just watched the first 3 eps and I have to say so far I feel so bad for Betty! OMG that birthday party drama with the cake was so humiliating for her...to be a woman or any minority during that time just sucked! Ugh...

I hope she gets some power or something happens for her as the episodes progress...

I can't believe I forgot about this thread. Thank you seanutbutter, MyNameIs and Northern Star for answering my questions. I'm sorry I didn't reply to your responses sooner.

I can relate to the characters of Betty and Peggy the most but I enjoy watching each and every character on the show. I love that all the characters are flawed and three dimensional; it makes the show so much more interesting to watch and more 'real'.

I'm so excited for season 2! :woot:

Mad men has received more nominations than any other show for the upcoming Emmy awards:woot: and deservedly so.:judge:

I'm glad it got those nominations. I recently read some article about how the Emmys don't seem to go with what the people are watching more, but frankly more people watching a show does not make it more deserving of a nomination and it definitely doesn't mean the more viewed show is better.

I'm mad that the women didn't get any nominations...to me some of the best performances came from January, Christina and Elizabeth.

^I agree. I think all three women deserved to get nominated, but January Jones especially. Love her on that show.

Season 2 is premiering tonight everyone. 10pm Eastern.

^ Just a correction - it's not 10 PM Eastern, just 10 PM. I live on the West Coast and checked my television schedule, and it says the show starts at 10. Your post scared me there for a second - I wasn't prepared to watch it! :P

I'm jealous of you guys in the States who get the new season already. In fact I'm gonna have to probably avoid this thread to miss the spoilers.

When I was in Boston last week I was in Bloomingdale's and they had a huge Mad Men display with a load of grey suits.

Here's a little interview with the show's costume designer where she talks about the show influencing Michael Kors and Prada.

Yeah I think I'll have to stay away too...along with everyone else in UK........as God only knows when we will get to see season 2:( But I can't wait apparently there will be episodes set in a future time.B)
Getting back to the Emmy's it is shocking that Elisabeth Moss didn't get a best actress nomination:angry: such an intelligent actress in a totally unflattering part and January Jones is a revelation in a part that will surely change her whole career. Her scenes with her friends son are heart breaking......being that he (a 8 year old or so) boy is the only one who truly understands her.
If the writers keep up the good work for these characters hopefully the actresses will get recognition next year.:D

Yeah I think I'll have to stay away too...along with everyone else in UK........as God only knows when we will get to see season 2:( But I can't wait apparently there will be episodes set in a future time.B)
Getting back to the Emmy's it is shocking that Elisabeth Moss didn't get a best actress nomination:angry: such an intelligent actress in a totally unflattering part and January Jones is a revelation in a part that will surely change her whole career. Her scenes with her friends son are heart breaking......being that he (a 8 year old or so) boy is the only one who truly understands her.
If the writers keep up the good work for these characters hopefully the actresses will get recognition next year.:D

That scene last season with Betty and Glenn in the parking lot should've given January her nomination easily. It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d7ov7STa_Ik

I completely agree with you LUXX. I think the three main women are great on the show and January Jones in particular deserved a nomination for her performance in "The Wheel". I don't think Betty would be an easy character to play. She always appears in control but you can see there always something else under the surface. I think January Jones always bring a subtlety to her performance, which is great. I also think Vincent Kartheiser deserved a nomination.

Are we allowed to start talking about season 2? Is there some sort of spoiler code I should use?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we should. I want to talk to someone about it (2nd season that is), lol.

I loved it.

SPOILER from here on about Season 2 if you haven't seen the first episode SPOILER STOP READING
Did you notice how they picked up 14 months later after the last season? Betty's quite a different character now, which I'm not sure if I liked just yet. January Jones were phenom though, especially in that scene with the mechanic. And Peggy! Ripping that new secretary a new one, lol. And then getting a copy machine in her office, lmao. Gotta love Joan. And nothing about Peggy's baby. Do you think she gave it up for adoption? Don seems to be a faithful family man? And I'm just fascinated with Pete.

So basically can't wait for more.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

I agree with everything you said, MyNameIs.

I thought the episode was a great start to season 2. I liked how the episode gave us a glimpse of character changes and a taste of things to come. I was most surprised by the fact that Sal is now a married man!

It was great to see the personality change in Peggy; she's quite assertive and more confident now. I felt so sorry for Lois when Peggy was giving her a hard time but I love how Joan got her revenge with the photocopier. :lol:

I think Peggy placed her baby up for adoption although it is not 100% clear from the episode. I just think at the time it would have been rare for an unmarried woman to keep her baby. I also think Peggy wouldn't want to keep her baby since he would hinder her career plans.

I can't wait for the next episode!

Last edited by a moderator:
SPOILER

Oh yes, Sal. I forgot to mention that. Totally WOA.

As for Peggy's child. You know, adoption does make complete sense and that's what I assumed after last season's finale. But some of the interviews make it sound like there could be something there. Maybe she'll start looking for it or something like that?

*SPOILER*

That's true. I guess that's why the writers didn't reveal what happened to the baby. They can explore that plot point further if they wish or just let the viewers assume the baby was adopted.

I agree that Peggy most likely gave her baby up, afterall she felt no emotion toward him at all and I also think she was freaked out by Pete as the season went on. The prospect of caring for his kid and giving up her career clearly was not an option in her mind. I do wonder if we will see flashbacks though because the men did discuss that Peggy went away for awhile so...I wonder if she had to tell Don.

As for Betty, I definitely think she may snap this season. She seems over Don and he seems to be itching to get back to his other women. It's sad that two people so attractive are so bored by each other sexually and in general. They both seem to feel more alive with strangers...although I suppose they are really strangers to each other since Don has lied about his whole identity. Although he clearly seems to be trying to do everything right which we can surmise came from the fact that her shrink told him that she knew all about his affairs. This phase of fidelity seems to be ending though...it is obvious that the dynamics of their relationship have changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->