Majors and corresponding fashion careers

dks0910

Reaction score
After getting a degree in fashion design?

I just want to know once i get a degree in fashion design, will i be able to pursue a different career in the fashion industry(like merchandising, marketing, etc.) or am i just stuck with becoming a designer?
Also after a degree or diploma in design what are your options?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also wondering something similar to this. For instance, if you get a degree in Fashion Design, would you be able to work as a fashion editor or writer for a magazine too?

normally, no

normally, no. if that's what you want to do then i would recommend that you go for fashion marketing/communications or art history or journalism or communications degrees.

why would you put yourself through the pain of design school (sewing your fingers included and tons of nights in the lab) just to style a fashion shoot?

that having been said, i graduated from fashion design and now i decided i want to go into editorial. so...i'm doing a master's in communications and interning at fashion mags.

The reason I was inquiring about this was because I have heard of several cases in which a person had a degree in fashion design and then worked in both fields. ^_^

it's not unheard of, of course. many people don't actually work as "designers" after coming out from design school.

but my point is that it's harder to switch since the degrees are so specific about what skills you'll learn (as opposed to, say, a cultural studies or english lit degree) for fashion. the more abilities and experiences you have then the easier it would be to to different things after school finishes.

for example, if i hadn't gotten good marks in my fashion degree then it would've been impossible to get into an academic grad program. or, if i hadn't interned/worked in fashion and made contacts years ago then getting a mag. internship would be harder.

Also, apart from having a minor in Journalism or English, etc. would having some electives in that field help your chances if you decide to switch to fashion writing or editing?

Thanks for the help! :flower:

It always depends on how broadbased the design course you're doing is aswell...some are very design focused, pattern cutting etc...some might involve a few more 'options'. It would be good to enquire (where you would like to study) about which careers their graduates have gone onto in the past...that might give you a good idea. With design you can often do stuff such as trend forecasting, fabric/colour research, styling, PR, fashion illustration, journalism. But if you're sure in the first place that you'd prefer to go down the more 'business' route...marketing etc...then I suggest you look for a course with marketing/promotion/journalism/media included.

style star: short answer would be yes. if you're also interested in those aspects then take those english/journalism/professional communications electives, and also volunteer at your local or student newspaper and cover the arts and fashion sections!

The issue WRITING. No matter what you major in, if your writing is not strong, creative, and concise...then it just doesnt matter. You also need to have strong research skills.

^ I understand that! I appreciate all of the help and replies! *Gives out karma* :D

I was wondering this because I am interested in both careers and am not sure if I would be able to get a major and a minor or even go to a college that specializes in both things. :blush:

Is a fashion merchandising degree reputable for other industries?

If I decided I wanted to apply to companies other than fashion ones, will a fashion merchandising degree be looked down upon, per say?

A lot of industries don't care what you major in.

That said, my friend once told me she's having a hard time convincing employers that her fashion merchandising degree is also a business degree and sometimes they've never heard of fashion merchandising so they don't know what it is.

And me too.

I can't imagine such a specific degree will be immediately appealing to employers outside of the fashion/luxury industry. Then again, I don't have a fashion merchandising degree so I wouldn't know!

Just my two cents.

Well I was pursuing this degree this year but I probably won't continue you with it next year. Not because I'm afraid it won't be respected outside of fashion but because I don't think I want to work in the industry (especially the business/retail side of it). People I know to have finished the degree have gone on to wedding planning, event planning, pr & advertising and working in the music industry to desk jobs. There are numerous careers out there with no specific degree requirement so your major wouldn't hurt you...:flower:

If it really worries you then a double major or an alternate degree may be in order. No job really requires a fashion merchandising degree anyway.

I don't know if there is a thread exactly like this, but I'd love to gain some insight into which career fields like certain majors, etc. Sigh. I'll be starting college soon and really am not sure what major to choose and what degree will get me into whichever career path. Firstly, I've been thinking about the things I excel at. That would be writing and talking a whole lot. My dream job would be working in pr for a fashion house however majoring in public relations I've been told is a waste and right now they are looking for marketing majors instead. Is this true? I've also been considering majoring in journalism because I'd also love to work for a fashion magazine, eithor or. Again, I've been hearing that being a major in journalism isn't necessary for a career in fashion writing - and it's more experience based. -_- Public relations will probably consist of some journalism courses, but what about getting into fashion pr? What major/minor do you think I should follow if I want career paths open in both fields; editorial and fashion pr. I'm very interested in the business side of the fashion industry and want to make the best choices.

I just feel like if I major in communications (public relations) and minor in marketing, and then graduate and have a change of heart and decide to do editorial, it would look odd on my resume. The reason I'm leaning so much on public relations is because it includes communicating and writing, both things of what I love to do - just not sure if I should major in it! I hope to get some advice and opions cos it's really stressing. Sorry for the ramble. :innocent:

I've graduated from doing a degree in Fashion Design a few months ago so there's probably people here who can give better advice than myself, but I will tell you my opinion nevertheless!

I went to the University of Westminster in London and a lot of my tutors always said that Fashion Design was a great degree to have as it covers so many areas in the fashion industry. .. during my time there, I did lengthy essays where I could choose to do it in article style or as a thesis, I did fashion manufacturing modules, buying and merchandising.. I tested it all out.. and one of my tutors was a buyer for Topshop and actually said that people in the industry prefer choosing Fashion Design Graduates for a Buying job, as opposed to Fashion Buying graduates.. only because Fashion Design graduates typically know more about fashion and how it clothing is made etc.. .. This was confrmed during my manufacturing lessons where the Buying students hardly knew anything about fabrics.

..Oh I could talk about this for ages! .. My point is, with fashion design, I was able to dabble in all areas to find out what I liked the most... then I would do internships to gain further experience.

For example, we had to go away for a month and gain some hardcore fashion industry experience. I went to Moschino and there was a girl there who did Fashion Design at my university and was now doing PR and she was really great at it, I learnt a lot from her.. I thought that was what I wanted to do!... but I felt that I wouldn't be able to be as creative as I'd like to be, so I went for a design internship and it all became crystal clear, that was what I had to do!

It's hard deciding though, as different places offer different things.. .. hmm.. lets see what other people say..

What jobs can a fashion design degree get?

Hello, I am currently looking at majors at fashion colleges.
I am leaning towards fashion design and I was just curious what jobs can a degree in fashion design get you beside being a fashion designer? Like, could it possibly help me out getting a job in styling or coordinating etc?

Thanks for any help!

Hi there Merveille
Please remember to do a search before starting a new thread
We have plenty of threads about fashion-related careers (design, merchandising, etc.!), and you will probably find your answers there
I'm merging your post with this thread :flower: Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->