Make-up Storage

barbaraaa

Reaction score
I tried finding a thread on this but I couldn't, excuse me if this has been done before :blush:

I was wondering how does everyone here store their make-up? In a professional case, beautifully displayed in your bedroom, a vanity? Basically I wanted to see how everyone around here does it, for inspiration, tips, etc ^_^

I only use a few items at a time, because I stick to one simple favorite look except for special occasions. So I keep the 3-4 items I regularly use in a little pouch in my bag, have duplicate items and two extra lipstick colors in a basket in front of the bathroom mirror, and keep the rest stored away in the cabinet.

Most of what I have is out in my bath, but I do have replacement items and things I rarely use in my linen closet.

I have glass corner shelves in my bath. On the lower shelf I keep eye creams and the creams I wear at night, as well as glass containers with Q-tips, cotton pads, etc. Also a basket of blushers. On the upper shelf I keep a glass open-mouth vase with bath salts, and two baskets. One has products I use on my face--sunscreen, foundation, concealer, etc. The other has eyeshadows.

I also have wicker shelves that are mostly for perfume and hair products, but I also have there a stainless steel pencil cup where I keep liners, brushes, glosses, and mascara.

In my bag, I have a small mirrored case that fits 3 lipsticks, and a woven leather bag where I keep all my other lipsticks, other than duplicates, which live in my linen closet. When I'm doing my makeup at home, I use gloss, and when I'm out, I use lipstick.

I don't know about you all, but I'm still using one of these:
vintage-caboodle.jpg

(src: allure.com)

I use an empty candle glass to store all my brushes, pencils, mascara etc, and I keep all my compacts (I think have 6-7) and my foundation standing upright in a white box (It came with a pair of earrings). That way I can take the glass in one hand and the box in the other and carry it all with me to whichever room has the best lighting when I apply my makeup:smile: It is also really practical because I can see all my makeup at once, and they compacts arent't floating around in a bag and getting damaged... I keep a duplicate of my lipstick or a lpbalm in my coat and bag. Works for me.

I have a smaller bathroom space now, so I use the same acrylic organizers (from Makeup Box Shop), but instead of having them on display in the bathroom I have them tucked away in the wardrobe. I have a smaller acrylic tray that I keep in the bathroom cupboard that holds all of the products in my current rotation. Here's how I used to have it set up:
source: my own pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 5
I have one half of a mirrored cabinet above the sink in my bathroom that I use to store my daily products, one of three shelves in here is used for makeup. I have two little baskets that fit perfectly into the space to hold everything: one glass for brushes, one glass for mascara, eyeliner, concealer and everything else that comes in tube or pen form, and one glass for any current favourite lip products (though this is usually quite empty as I keep bringing things with me). Aside from this there is also my foundation, compact, bronzer, blush and two small eyeshadow palettes.

All my other makeup (that I rarely use) is stored in a small drawer chest (you know the ones from Ikea) in a different bathroom cupboard. In there I have one drawer for face products (foundations, powders, blushes, concealers), one for eyeshadows, one for eyeliners and mascara and one for lip products. But really, for most of the products I keep here it's only a temporary stop before they find new homes. :wink:

^I do something very similar! I keep a small makeup bag stored away for makeup that needs a new home:smile: It currently contains a eyeshadow pencil (what was I thinking?), a free eyeshadow I got for free somewhere I can't remember and two YSL touche eclat original highligters. I didn't realize they were pink when I orderd them (in a duo pack of course!:(doh::

I took a picture of my makeup storage. I had to upgrade to two glasses instead of one. I blame it on the fact that I now have 5 lip products... Which feels like a lot to me... I am still able to carry everything at once though, so it is not too bad!:wink:

I always felt like I had quite a lot of makeup, but now I have changed my mind. Thanks Belowen!:lol:

My own picture

Attachments

• makeupstorage.png
    makeupstorage.png
    475.5 KB · Views: 6
And I think you all have a lot of brushes! :lol: I have a powder brush, a blusher brush, and an eyeshadow brush that I use all the time, and then a concealer brush and eyeliner brush that I use basically ... never :ninja:

Haha, yes I could easily manage with a few less... There are 3-4 brushes I almost never use, but I don't want to throw them out just in case I figure out how to use them at some point.... Seems silly to get rid of something just to repurchase later.

Yes, I could use a new powder brush right now ... haven't found the perfect one yet.

Love your displays Belowen and eizhowa! So pretty. :flower:

I have a ton of brushes, but use less than half of them (the ones in the picture, and not even all of those regularly). I blame the fact that I can never find ones that I am completely satisfied with, so I keep getting new ones. My foundation (stippling) brush and angled blush brush are the only ones I truly love...

Here is a picture of mine (removed from the cupboard for lighting purposes). I don't use all of this on a daily basis, but most of it is in fairly regular rotation. :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_4664.jpg
    IMG_4664.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
I have culled my makeup collection a lot since then, trust me! It could all easily fit into one of the makeup box storage containers now, and I'm much happier with a smaller collection. It felt so wasteful having so much that I never really used. As for brushes, I have culled that collection down a lot also. I tend to rotate through around 10 different brushes, depending on my needs at the time.

Fashionista-ta: have you tried any of the Real Techniques brushes? I use their powder brush and it's really great value for money.

I haven't ... I'd never heard of them, but looks like Ulta and Walgreen's carry them here. Thanks for the recommendation. I don't mind spending on a brush ... what I've had so far is MAC and Sonia Kashuk. I'd read a good review of the Sonia Kashuk brush, and it was great to start with ... I'm just not sure it continues that way. I've saved a few other reviews ... I think one was of Kevin Aucoin's powder brush?

I can recommend Real Techniques brushes too, love them! The buffer brush that I use for liquid foundation is my favourite. I have the Core Collection Kit and additional MAC brush for eyeshadow and that is all I need. :smile: I even got this set for my mother and she nows swears on it.

hmmm...
this is an interesting thread...

i now have a vanity for the first time ever and am wanting to transfer my makeup from my bathroom to my vanity...

i like the idea in theory, but i am not sure it's gonna work in practice...
*sitting at a vanity to apply makeup, etc...
i've never had that luxury...so it seems a bit foreign to me...
there is also the question of appropriate lighting...

i'm determined to give it a go, though...

eizhowa...
i also use old candles for make up storage...
i thought i was the only one~!
:clap:

do you all keep your nail polish in the fridge?
:huh:

^ I don't, and I don't think it's necessary. The important thing is screwing the cap on well ...

I've had some Chanel polishes for many years. Eventually they get too thick to use, but after so many years that I have been quite content with my results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->