Marc Jacobs S/S 2012 New York

the collection was just ok
and too many ripoffs from other designs e.g. Prada

it looks like Marc just watched Kontakthof again.

I've been looking at this collection over and over since it streamed live and I still don't know what the hell to make of it. I mean I see references everywhere - from the 20s, to the 60s, to dancewear, to Fosse, to hodowns - it's just that none of it makes sense and I don't think all of those random references come together to make a whole.

Some of the clothes I really like, some of the fabrics are extremely interesting and borderline beautiful in an odd way, and those pointy mary jane pumps are adorable, but I don't think I'm going to end up liking this very much in the end. There's no emotional pull for me, and that kind of sucks because I've loved his last three collections in a row.

Oddly, I had a vague feeling that he would do something in the vein of S/S 2010, a mish-mashy, esoteric thing that you really can't pin down. Considering where he went for fall - very strict, very polished, kind of twisted but classically chic in it's own way - it made sense he'd end up here. He always does the exact opposite of what he did the season before.

BTW, the soundtrack was INFURIATING.

Absolutely delicious. Call me biased, but I just cannot help loving it. Usual Marc's loveliness with the touch of expected quirk.

And I just LOVE the soundtrack, so perfect :heart:

I was hoping for something really polarizing or season-rattling. Don't know why.

Accessories! (style.com)

00010m.jpg
00280m.jpg

00030m.jpg
00220m.jpg

00640m.jpg
00780m.jpg

00840m.jpg

I honestly just don't know how to feel about it :blink:

The set+the model setup+the 1920's theme almost reminds me of what Galliano did with his main line, except Galliano had a much better hand at these kinds of things, in Marc's hands it seems almost lackluster and just sad :(

In the style review, she said maybe he was preoccupied with his Dior situation which is understandable, but I was still hoping he'd save the week.

thank God it's better than his second line but da*n this is such a knock out version of Prada FW 11.12, thank God the acessories are pretty nice.

Yay, I found something I like in this collection: The last four bags in #32 :lol:

I couldn't help seeing the Prada references either. I'm not generally opposed to designers copying another designer's idea but basically copying a whole collection and making it look ugly & cheap is just not something I want to see from one of the most famous & well-paid designers of today. There's zero originality and a lot of it is just so ugly, I seriously don't get this.

This doesn't look like Prada at all lol Okay no way I want him in Dior with this muck. Nice but not good enuff!

I dont think i have disliked his collection this much, in years!

What is this? Instead of being Prada with is own twist, he does that so well, its simply embarrassing how uninspired it is!

i loved this! first time in a while i've loved this show i was starting to give up on him :lol:

The FIRST Marc Jacobs collection I've EVER liked. And only because it looks and sounds 99% Prada. The soundtrack is irritating but interesting. The numbers :lol: It's lunatic.

I still don't understand Marc Jacobs. Inconsistent and hopelessly confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->