Valentino for the Gap

honeycombchild

Reaction score
VALENTINO will join forces with Gap this winter to create an affordable womenswear capsule collection designed by the creative directors Maria Grazia Chiui and Pier Paolo Piccioli.
On the heels of the announcement this week that Lanvin's Alber Elbas has collaborated with H&M, the launch of the Valentino high street collection will coincide with Gap's new Milan flagship store in late November - before being available at Dover Street Market in London, Colette in Paris as well as Gap's flagship store in London.
"We are very pleased that Gap thought of us as a partner for this intimate project, as it brings together the iconic world of Valentino and Gap's fashion essentials," Chiuri and Piccioli said. "In this way, Valentino and Gap synthesise the current trend of combining luxury with basics."
While perhaps not as widely known for its high designer partnerships as H&M,Gap has in the past worked with Pierre Hardy - for a capsule collection in 2009 - as well as Stella McCartney for a sell-out childrenswear line.
"We're thrilled to be welcomed by the house of Valentino, with its unique position in Italy's fashion heritage and to work with Maris Grazia and Pier Paolo, and their modern, fresh take on women's style," president of Gap in Europe, Stephen Sunnucks, said of the partnership.

Vogue.co.uk

Ugh, it's like there's just no appreciation for fine fashion anymore. I know the economy isn't doing so brilliantly at the moment but there's just no room for the art of luxury anymore. Companies and businesses will sacrifice anything for money, even if it means diluting the prestige of a revolutionary fashion house like Valentino.

Ugh, it's like there's just no appreciation for fine fashion anymore. I know the economy isn't doing so brilliantly at the moment but there's just no room for the art of luxury anymore. Companies and businesses will sacrifice anything for money, even if it means diluting the prestige of a revolutionary fashion house like Valentino.

I completely agree! What is it with the finest fashion houses going mainstream lately?
Lanvin and Valentino make me dream because they are somewhat out of reach and their clothes are made of the finest fabrics and featured in the most beautiful editorials. But H&M? Gap? These moves make me appreciate the luxury brands a lot less. You can't sell your brand as being Couture and Gap at the same time :doh:
I wonder what Valentino Garavani thinks of this.

lol Valentino for Gap.. well this is sort of a surprise but seeing how sickeningly mediocre
the new aesthetic for the brand is i'd say there won't be much distance to travel for the
brand's crossover from high fashion to commercial, this is a much more plausible venture
for me than say, Lanvin for H&M.

I'm quite excited about Lanvin+H&M, because to me it seems like Alber and Lucas can pull it off.

Valentino+GAP on the other hand I don't like. I like to look at the clothes and be inspired by them. The fact that I can't afford anything labeled with Valentino is something that attracts me - it allows you to dream and fantasize. I don't think they can translate that feeling into a capsule collection for any high street brand.

I could not agree with you more. WTF is going on here? This is insane. Your taking one of the most lux high fashion houses and pairing it with the GAP!!! This great thing about house's like Valentino is that it a house that creates (or used to create) some of the most beautiful RTW and couture garments. And not you wanna pair a house of that lvl with a mass market brand that mainly produces jeans!!!! I mean Lanvin for H&M and JPG for Target was one thing but this is just bullsh!t!! The appreciation of Haute Couture is clearly dying out ...:(

how groundbreaking. i think it will help usher in this new era of valentino. while H&M is a monster with the design collaboration, im glad to see that Valentino is joining with the gap. regardless of how you feel, the gap is one of the largest american based retailers & originates from san francisco. this is major for american retail.

Valentino seems to be targeting a younger and younger clientele with each season.....

gap is know for american sportswear...
how does valentino fit into that picture?...

this sounds awful...:doh:

Well, Roland Mouret did a collaboration with Gap that had a lot of success a few years ago, but it's a very different context really. Roland is still seen as a young designer so his brand doesn't have a lot of history. Valentino on the other hand... :blink:

gap is know for american sportswear...
how does valentino fit into that picture?...

this sounds awful...:doh:

seriously... it's such a weird clash of two entirely different brand images. who would i like to see collaborate with gap? designers who know how to incorporate luxurious elements to sportswear... like nicolas ghesquière or phoebe philo?? (wishful thinking but crossing fingers anyway :lol:) valentino is such an odd choice because in my head, gap's clientele doesn't lead a lifestyle that requires the typical eveningwear that valentino makes. what i'm wondering is, who's going to buy anything from this collection if it's stripped down from all that characterizes valentino?

:blink: sure, the customers will be able to finally afford something with the name of the brand on a tag, but what's the point when the clothes don't reflect anything from the brand?

What the hell?
I mean Valentino and Gap are like opposite brands,one is for sportwear and the other one is for high fashion/haute couture...they're pratically incompatible! :lol:

Oh god, this is just gonna add fuel to the fire of all the Alessandra fanatics.

don't knock it till you've seen it, interesting idea will hold judgement till i see the collection

i'm sorry, but can they turn out one full season of decent clothes first before adding something new to their plates? we haven't them go through one fashion cycle -- winter haute couture/spring-summer rtw/pre-fall OR spring haute couture/fall-winter rtw/ resort -- and make an impact. but for their public relations' team getting their dresses on key celebrities and fashioning some eye-catching advertising campaigns, i have seen little evidence that they're designing anything that would appeal to the larger mass market audience.

lanvin, and the team that designs for the house, on the other hand, has excelled at everything it has taken on from denim to bridal to menswear to jewelry to pre-fall and resort....it can handle something more, like h + m

^ My thoughts exactly ... they can't design their own damn lines well, let's concentrate on that first :rolleyes: Never has it been so obvious that two people should have stuck to designing accessories, because that is all they are capable of doing well. You don't stick the ruffle that works on a handbag on the front of a person :rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe, there will be something like this from the fall/winter 2010 collection? :wink::heart:
00050m.jpg

credit: style.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"