Men's Denim

tangerine, what is the longest you've gone without a wash?
other posters, same question.

i just had an epiphany - winter is my new best friend. i might make it to april. now if the smaller pair fits well and i keep them, i will hang on to them and not start wearing them until october or november of this year. that ought to give me some good chilly months of sweat-free wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's not a time limit for the first wash, like 6 months or whatever, just wait till your satisfied with the creasing and fading of the jeans, and about those tricks with baking soda etc. it will just make your jeans look unnatural which pretty much ruins them, just wear them as much as you can and they'll turn out beautiful. all those tricks, if you search mynudies you'll find 100 more, are just kids trying to hard to get their jeans to break in fast.

RobbertJan said:
there's not a time limit for the first wash, like 6 months or whatever, just wait till your satisfied with the creasing and fading of the jeans, and about those tricks with baking soda etc. it will just make your jeans look unnatural which pretty much ruins them, just wear them as much as you can and they'll turn out beautiful. all those tricks, if you search mynudies you'll find 100 more, are just kids trying to hard to get their jeans to break in fast.

i'm in no rush at all. in fact if anything, i want to hang on to as much indigo as possible. why would the baking soda result in an unnatural look? my impression was that it would not interfere with the appearance of the jeans, just extend how long you can go between washes.

HiHeels said:
... it's just giving me the warm fuzzies to think about bacteria in my pants. mmm mmm good. i guess the freezer also helps the powder separate from the pants maybe. this is wild. a million thanks. hmmm, am i left to my own judgment to determine when the pants need this sort of treatment? or do i wait for people to give me disgusted looks in elevators?

:rofl:

Sent you a PM. :flower:

HiHeels said:

i just had an epiphany - winter is my new best friend. i might make it to april. now if the smaller pair fits well and i keep them, i will hang on to them and not start wearing them until october or november of this year. that ought to give me some good chilly months of sweat-free wear.

I went around 10months(everyday) w/ my nudies.

they didn't need a wash(there was no smell), I was just tired of them being so loose.

rearviewmirror said:
I went around 10months(everyday) w/ my nudies.

they didn't need a wash(there was no smell), I was just tired of them being so loose.

10 months? holy H. :woot:
well that has to be a record.
Any chance you have a picture to share of the end result?
I was thinking there ought to be a support group for people breaking in their denim. Just someone there to help get you through the end of that last month... or maybe just someone who is willing to be in the same room with you in that last month.

"so loose," I know exactly what you mean. I love how jeans feel the second day after a fresh wash. Just pure comfort.

HiHeels said:

Not that long, for my Dior raw denims I went from February to May without a wash, got tired of the loose waist. Oh well, they don't really wear like other Japanese raw denims anyway...

Fade to Black said:
Not that long, for my Dior raw denims I went from February to May without a wash, got tired of the loose waist. Oh well, they don't really wear like other Japanese raw denims anyway...

That is 4 months! That is incredible. I am totally humbled by you guys. If I last 2 weeks we need to have an anniversary party to celebrate.

Does everyone agree that the results are worth it? Do you see a difference when you wait?

I think it depends on the denim. In general, going longer without washing will produce more contrast after the first wash...but some denim doesn't really fade as well as others (like my example with my Diors...they don't really have the aging progression that I've seen on many other types of Japanese denim jeans, even after a couple washes in between periods of hard/daily wear, the fading results are minimal). I don't know what the term for this is though.

Does anyone have any experience with APC jeans?
I had order the unwashed new standard and they came in today. I heard to get 2-3 sizes under my normal 27-28 so I got a 25. I can get them on but there tighter than I expected, does anyone know if they stretch? If they do I'll probably just keep them otherwise I'm going to send them back for a 26.

HiHeels said:
10 months? holy H. :woot:
well that has to be a record.
Any chance you have a picture to share of the end result?
I was thinking there ought to be a support group for people breaking in their denim. Just someone there to help get you through the end of that last month... or maybe just someone who is willing to be in the same room with you in that last month.

"so loose," I know exactly what you mean. I love how jeans feel the second day after a fresh wash. Just pure comfort.

i mean they stretch out like crazy when you go a long period of time in between washes...

however, once you wash them they go back(or very close) to their original size.

rearviewmirror said:
i mean they stretch out like crazy when you go a long period of time in between washes...

i know. the first wear after a new wash though, they are almost too tight, so i like the second day. i don't know how i will like day 300 though. i think how much these stretch will really determine just how long i can go before i do a wash, since my jeans are already plenty loose.
but so far i absolutely love the prps. i ordered them in a smaller size, but those are back-ordered, due in around the end of march.
now tell me, do you notice the wear prior to a wash, or just a lot of funk and dirt? and then a wash reveals the wear?

rearviewmirror said:

the denim stretching over the course of a non-stop wearathon did get me thinking. what if i soaked the jeans in cold water and tossed them in the dryer to tighten them up a bit? what impact would this have on the indigo? minimal? does anyone have any thoughts on doing this?

You will notice wear prior to first wash, the denim will lose indigo and become lighter in abraded areas.

I have heard you can reverse the stretching to some degree by just turning the jeans inside out and putting them in a hot dryer for about 15 minutes, you don't need to soak them first. I haven't done this myself but it makes sense to me.

Cold soaking does not cause much indigo loss, but since the PRPS are one-wash, there is no advantage to the cold soak. Cold soaking unsanforized jeans is often done to get some shrinkage out of the way before first wear.

tangerine said:
You will notice wear prior to first wash, the denim will lose indigo and become lighter in abraded areas.

I have heard you can reverse the stretching to some degree by just turning the jeans inside out and putting them in a hot dryer for about 15 minutes, you don't need to soak them first. I haven't done this myself but it makes sense to me.

Cold soaking does not cause much indigo loss, but since the PRPS are one-wash, there is no advantage to the cold soak. Cold soaking unsanforized jeans is often done to get some shrinkage out of the way before first wear.

ah, right mine are one wash. don't know where my brain was for a minute there. wise beyond your years, tangeriney! if they were totally raw, what would the difference be in terms of feel? more like concrete? are apc single wash?

More like concrete is a good description. :lol:

I have only seen raw APC, if they make a one-wash it is news to me.

The APC raw denim jeans are hella stiff...i was in the changing room and i can only imagine in summer heat it's the equivalent of taking a long fingernail and digging it into the skin on the corner of your thumb, except worn on your legs. The DH raw denims were softer...and the 45 RPM one-wash jeans are also more comfortable.

RobbertJan said:

How would it make them unnatural if you're doing the baking soda trick on the inside of the denim?:unsure:

Fade to Black said:
The APC raw denim jeans are hella stiff...i was in the changing room and i can only imagine in summer heat it's the equivalent of taking a long fingernail and digging it into the skin on the corner of your thumb, except worn on your legs. The DH raw denims were softer...and the 45 RPM one-wash jeans are also more comfortable.

that, my friend, is not a pretty picture (the painful pant scenario you describe re. the summer, btw, not you in the apc dressing room cussing about the jeans while you can't bend your knees to even sit down to take them off. next time i'm in the store i'll check if i can see your feet under the curtain doing the denim shuffle while you try to get them off)

Has anyone tried the apc rescue style?

DriversHigh said:
How would it make them unnatural if you're doing the baking soda trick on the inside of the denim?:unsure:

we'll have to wait for his official word, but my sense is that the 'no tricks' camp just feels that any manipulation of the jeans is interference and therefore unnatural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->