Milan Menswear S/S 08 In Review

ilaughead

Reaction score
Here we go again. You know the drill.

:woot:
Prada - I really liked this, which was a big surprise, as I'm normally not in Miuccia's fanbase. The bags were pretty good, too. (Speaking of whom, do we even get Miu Miu showroom pictures this season? Do we have to wait for the ready-to-wear show?)
Burberry Prorsum - While I'm not a fan of the gaudiness of a few of the outfits, as well as how derivitive it was, I'm happy to say that there were several excellent pieces including those dropped-crotch pants.
Fendi - After last season, it's a disappointment, but in comparison to the rest of Milan, it was still good. The proportions were good and there was quite a bit of new thought thrown into it.

:mellow:
Jil Sander - I really didn't like the palette, but some of the individual items looked rather nice. (Those baggy white pants are mine, everyone. Hands off!)
Bottega Veneta - Another typical collection from Maier. I know that he hasn't really moved for quite a few seasons, but he consistantly produces relevant, attractive clothing.
Dries Van Noten - I was expecting so much more! The sheen of every piece of clothing really wasn't my thing, but the scarves looked nice.

:sick:
Alexander McQueen - I didn't like him to start with, but this!? Everything was horrible!
Marni - I really liked their last season. This felt like a very bad Jil Sander ripoff. There wasn't anything in here I liked.
Gucci - It's exactly like a combination of S/S 07 RTW and F/W 07/08 menswear. Nothing new. Nothing nice.

As a sidenote, the three D's of good taste (Dsquared, Dolce & Gabbana, and D&G) were all rather tame. Not too sexual, not too tasteless. I kept them off the list because although they were pretty bad, it's a nice little improvement.

My favourites were Versace, Salvatore Ferragamo and Allesandro Dell'Acqua. All three ruled!!

The ones I hated the most were Dries van noten, Prada and Marni.

Everything else was very very average.

I'm waiting for the French shows cause this whole ordeal showed me that my style is WAY more french and american than I though.

Oh I forgot to mention I hated Jil Sander as well. That show made me barf.

Here we go again. You know the drill.

Prada - I really liked this, which was a big surprise, as I'm normally not in Miuccia's fanbase. The bags were pretty good, too. (Speaking of whom, do we even get Miu Miu showroom pictures this season? Do we have to wait for the ready-to-wear show?)
Burberry Prorsum - While I'm not a fan of the gaudiness of a few of the outfits, as well as how derivitive it was, I'm happy to say that there were several excellent pieces including those dropped-crotch pants.
Fendi - After last season, it's a disappointment, but in comparison to the rest of Milan, it was still good. The proportions were good and there was quite a bit of new thought thrown into it.

:mellow:
Jil Sander - I really didn't like the palette, but some of the individual items looked rather nice. (Those baggy white pants are mine, everyone. Hands off!)
Bottega Veneta - Another typical collection from Maier. I know that he hasn't really moved for quite a few seasons, but he consistantly produces relevant, attractive clothing.
Dries Van Noten - I was expecting so much more! The sheen of every piece of clothing really wasn't my thing, but the scarves looked nice.

Alexander McQueen - I didn't like him to start with, but this!? Everything was horrible!
Marni - I really liked their last season. This felt like a very bad Jil Sander ripoff. There wasn't anything in here I liked.
Gucci - It's exactly like a combination of S/S 07 RTW and F/W 07/08 menswear. Nothing new. Nothing nice.

As a sidenote, the three D's of good taste (Dsquared, Dolce & Gabbana, and D&G) were all rather tame. Not too sexual, not too tasteless. I kept them off the list because although they were pretty bad, it's a nice little improvement.
Seriously....

It's like you read mah mind!!!!

Apart from Gucci of course....which I loved for all its high-street-ee-ness.

Daks - Basic, but very wearable.
Versace - Proves that many companies could use some Cloak magic in their life.

:smile:
Alessandro Dell'Acqua - I like his use of color, and the fits seem well done.
Prada - Rather dark for summerwear, but some of the pieces are interesting.
Vivienne Westwood - The first collection of hers in a long time that I actually like.

Marni - Yeah.. No.
Burberry Prorsum - Some of the pieces look great, but as a whole I didn't like it.
Alexander McQueen - This better be some cruel joke.

I'm waiting for the French shows cause this whole ordeal showed me that my style is WAY more french and american than I though.

I agree...Im not really loving anything from Milan yet. Im eager to see the French shows.

The things that really struck out to me...sadly, were Ferragamo and Fendi...the lack of color. I dont know....I guess I was expecting a bit more color from them.

Overall, I thought that this season was one of Milan's strongest for men's in a while. These shows ushered in a nice wave of variety was needed and IMO made for a successful season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->