Favorite Collections S/S 10

Yeah! I mean, can you imagine, just a few years back, everyone hear would wait and pressing F5 until the collection came up and then when it finally did come up after an hours delay, we'd be satisfied with what we saw because it was inspiring. So much energy. Now, like you and ilaughead, I just scroll. I really cannot even tell you what a specific dress looked like except that it was just a bunch of lingerie. That's what La Perla or Victoria's Secrets is for. I have to agree that perhaps it was a thing of the 00s and at least we were lucky to witness it. It was awesome!

:cry: This statement is as true as it is sad....some of the threads on those collections are still the biggest ever in the Designers & Collections forum...boo :( But for what it's worth, I thought the Galliano presentation was an excellent show...while watching it I just felt the pace, rythm and power in it. The clothes were not extremely good, but definetly not bad and I quite enjoyed it.

Anywho...as for the search for fashion moments, I just had one this season: a pregnant Jourdan Dunn in the Gaultier cone-belly. I went gaga when I saw the pics.
Adn concerning my favorite collections of the season, I am not quite there yet to make a list right now, so give me some time :wink:

FAVORITE
1-VERSACE.Donatella is the queen,she's such a badas$!She never disappoints me!
2-GUCCI.Stunning,clean,sleek and sharp collection.One of the best she had ever done
3-FENDI.So soft and light.It was like a fairy vision.The shoes were just killers
4-BURBERRY.Awesome show,love the draped dresses and the embellishments
5-PROENZA SCHOULER.Cool and youg,love it!

WORST
1-LOUIS VUITTON.It was just a joke
2-BALENCIAGA.Usual crap I'll never understand
3-PRADA.Another crappy show.The plastic bags were just hideous and cheap
4-DRIES VAN NOTEN.Same as Balenciaga and Dries
5-MARNI.Same as Balenciaga and Prada :lol:

favorites
MICHALE KORS
Narciso Rodriguez
DOLCE AND GABBANA
GUCCI
MCQUEEN
DRIES VAN NOTEN

WORST
VUITTON (A JOKE)
VERSACE

I forgot to put my least favorites!

NON!
1. Yves St.Laurent- In my opinion, Pilati is no way close to being the head of YSL. No way do these clothes deserve to have a YSL label on them.
2.Jean-Paul Gaultier- Gaultier is the master of making shocking, sexy clothes, but the clothes were so purposely trashy and risque, they weren't even shocking, just ugly.
3.Balenciaga and Balmain- I have no problem with staying in the same direction and style season after season, but unlike Rodarte, these two very different French houses sent what they have already shown, plenty of times before.

Favourites:
Prabal Gurung
Matthew Williamson
Versace
Gucci
Fendi
Lanvin
Roland Mouret
Elie Saab

Least Favourite:
Louis Vuitton
Alexander Wang
Julien MacDonald
Twenty8 Twelve
Isaac Mizrahi
Agnes B
Chloe

And yes, this is one of the worst season in memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really understanding some of these comments I'm seeing about Balenciaga being the same as it always is. I get that not everyone will like the collection, that's a given, but saying that this collection looks the same as every other Balenciaga collection is just kind of ridiculous. This collection looks nothing like last season, which looked nothing like the season before it, which in turn looked nothing like the season before that.

Yeah, Balenciaga is always futuristic, that's the aesthetic of the house. But that doesn't mean that every collection is the same. If that were the case then almost any designer working today could be accused of doing the same old, same old.

Favorites:
Alexander McQueen (loved the underwater-alien theme and the graphics)
Miu Miu (I liked the irony)
Celine (very minimalistic yet very sophisticated)

Pretty good:
Lanvin (beautiful as usual)
Givenchy (I love everything Tisci does)
Gucci (finally some glamour)
Burberry (loved the fresh colors and lovely trench-dresses)
Balenciaga (very urban yet very classical Balenciaga)

Disappointed:
Dior (usually Dior's beautiful even if it's boring but this season was just boring and nothing more)
Gareth Pugh (I miss the craziness)
Versace (the prints were too bright and the shoes... WTF?)
Kane (there was something missing. Better prints and interesting silhouettes maybe?)
Fendi (too soft for me)

Hated:
Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Marc by Marc Jacobs (WTF is going on with Marc? Did he lost his genius touch or smth?)
YSL (strawberries? really?)
Balmain (that cheap bling era has to end)
Topshop Unique, House of Holland (no comment)

As it seems almost everyone else feels, i was pretty underwhelmed this season. no real standouts for me. Having said that, my favourites were..

haider ackermann
haiderackermann06767615.jpg
haiderackermann09773032.jpg

marcus constable

marcusconstable01780015.jpg
marcusconstable06781699.jpg

calvin klein

calvinklein117879404.jpg
calvinklein157891130.jpg

dries van noten
driesvannoten067956569.jpg
driesvannoten217991229.jpg

vanessa bruno
vanessabruno288059328.jpg
vanessabruno398081712.jpg

and jil sander
jilsander028130013.jpg
jilsander058152486.jpg

all wwd.com

^great picks, adorefaith

An unmemorable season for me, like for most others, unfortunately and the saddest part was the begin of the slowing death at Maison Martin Margiela:cry: without its master.

However, there are fews that impressed me truly
A.F Vandevorst: back in their finest forms with the best collection in a very long time
00140m.jpg
00260m.jpg

Haider Ackermann: Being sexy has never looked so good. It's alluring, utmost sensous without losing his darker edge. And the touch of saffron is electrifying
00130m.jpg
00320m.jpg

Missoni: Having suprised me with the FW collection, this one even exceded my expectation. It's summer dressing with dimensions, layers and perfectly styled from head to toe.
00130m.jpg

Comme des Garcons: After a blockbuster Fall, Rei once again blew my mind with the masterful and disciplined patchworkings and solidified the fact that no one does deconstruction, reconstruction better than CDG.
00260m.jpg
00050m.jpg

Rick Owens: Rick softened up for spring but came full force with more angles and volumes, merging his signature fluidity jersey with angular, geometrical cuts. A perfect marriage, a flawless collection
00390m.jpg
00250m.jpg

Meadham Kirchoff: They knocked my socks off with the sense of fragility and dark romance buried amongst the tough street styling of the collection. All the ruched, bunched, shirred, pleated, crumbled effect work wonders for this detailed collection
00220m.jpg
00020m.jpg

Limi Feu: A true Yamamoto represented, polishing her aesthetic in the same veins of Yohji's labels but not forgetting to inject it with the usual offbeat flair and youthful charm. It's effortlessly beautiful
00230m.jpg

Ann Demeulemeester: The high priestess of neo Gothic beauty delivered another harder, sharper collection of dark romance. This time is lil more sexually charged, more sadomasicism and singlehandedly made strands of zippers never looked more desirable. The caged birds print is another notable hit
00250m.jpg
00200m.jpg

Honorable mentions:
Jil Sander
Junya Watanabe
Dries Van Noten
Ann Valerie Hash
Antonio Marras
Vanessa Bruno
Jeremy Laing
Calvin Klein
Marcus Constable

pics from style.com

Favourites this season for me were Karl Lagerfeld, Chanel, and Dolce & Gabbana. What can I say I love pretty clothes :blush:.

:heart:
Peter Pilotto
Haider Ackermann
Altuzarra
Celine
Missoni
Kenzo
Proenza Schouler

:(
CHLOE
Ungaro

This season was pretty underwhelming, to say the least. But I can't be mad because it's a challenge to be really creative in this economic state. Here's to next season being 10x better..

Favorites:
Missoni - Just plain gorgeousness. The patterns were amazing, and the styling was impeccable. Not better than last season, but pretty close. Casting sucked, though.
RL by Roland Mouret: Sometimes I wouldn't mind being a girl..:wub:
Dries - Wonderful, as usual.
Oscar de la Renta - 100x better than F/W. Really pretty clothes.
Burberry - Finally a Burberry collection I truly like! Some of the best use of pastels and sheers this whole season, imo.
Haider Ackermann - Beautiful.
And just for amusement, Prada and Louis Vuitton. Pure, tacky fun. ^_^

Worst:
Cavalli - Do everyone a favor, and stop trying to be something you're not. Do what you do best: trashy, sexual woman (and I mean this in the best, possible way). Not this hippie, flowy, flowery dress bs. When your last good collection was 3 years ago, something is wrong.
Blamain - One day I'm going to figure out who buys this ridiculous mess.
Stella Mccartney - Just no.
Chloe - I think it's about time for this new chick to leave.

Favorites
Versace-The clothes were sexy, mixing hard and soft. The shoes look fun to wear. It's the collection I was happy about the most and look forward to wearing. Bravo, Donatella! :D
Alexander McQueen-Very out there, in an awesome way. What a show. Very artistic. :smile:
Balenciaga-I thought the clothes were very cool and edgy, while being very wearable. Very solid.
Chanel-So beautiful! The creme-colored items were my favorite.
Gucci-Very sleek! Strong clothes to feel powerful in. And the handbags were perfection.
Burberry-A pleasant surprise. I found the collection to be very bright and pretty.
Least Favorites
Louis Vuitton-Oh dear. I still can't find much good in this. Very messy.
Ungaro-What a disaster. Heart pasties!? Really!? Terrible.
Alexander Wang-Bad tailoring, odd theme. More bad than good.
Neutral
Marc Jacobs-It's good, but I'm not sure if I really love it.
Yves Saint Laurent-There's some good items, very good, but this collection just didn't grab me. Usually I consider YSL to be one of my faves. Sadly, It's not exactly the case.

1. ALEXANDER MCQUEEN

2. Hussein Chalayan
3. Balmain
4. Prada
5. Chanel

in no particular order:
dries van noten
haider ackermann
calvin klein
rick owens
missoni
peachoo+krejberg

jil sander was pretty good too

I'm not really understanding some of these comments I'm seeing about Balenciaga being the same as it always is. I get that not everyone will like the collection, that's a given, but saying that this collection looks the same as every other Balenciaga collection is just kind of ridiculous. This collection looks nothing like last season, which looked nothing like the season before it, which in turn looked nothing like the season before that.

Yeah, Balenciaga is always futuristic, that's the aesthetic of the house. But that doesn't mean that every collection is the same. If that were the case then almost any designer working today could be accused of doing the same old, same old.

It definitely was not like Fall 09:cry:It just looked to me like his Spring 07,Fall 07, and Spring 09 collections were all put together with nothing new. That's what disappointed me because he can do great things...

REALLY GREAT:
Celine, Stella McCartney, Burberry Prorsum, Oscar De La Renta

GOOD:
Chanel, Valentino

ALSO INTERESTING:
Rue Du Mail, Vena Cava, Moon Young Hee, Gianfranco Ferre, Etro, Krizia, John Rocha, Louise Goldin, Matthew Williamson, Prabal Gurung, Lacoste, Rad Hourani, Giles

OVERALL....it was all ok, but not great. and the smaller designers were far more interesting then the typical marquee names.

:heart: Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren, Dries Van Noten, Prada, Chanel

:yuk: Alexander Wang, Rodarte

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->