Models Back On Us Vogue/us Bazaar Covers

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
from today's WWD

NEW YORK — When the September issues hit newsstands next month, two key fashion books will break with recent tradition by putting supermodels back on their covers.

Harper’s Bazaar’s cover girl will be Gisele Bündchen, who last graced the magazine’s cover in February 2003. Vogue is said to be announcing “The Return of the Supermodel” with its September issue, which will feature a gatefold cover of Bündchen, Karolina Kurkova, Carolyn Murphy, Liya Kedebe, Daria Werbowy and Gemma Ward, photographed by Steven Meisel. The last time a model appeared on the cover of Vogue, it was Christy Turlington and the year was 2002, a Vogue spokesman said. And neither Vogue nor Harper’s Bazaar has given a model a coveted September fashion issue in the past three years.

The rest of the September covers:
W: Julianne Moore
Elle: Jessica Simpson
In Style: Halle Berry
Vanity Fair: Reese Witherspoon
Glamour: Penélope Cruz
Lucky: Milla Jovovich
Marie Claire: Jennifer Lopez
Self: Drew Barrymore
Jane: Christina Aguilera
Cosmopolitan: Brittany Murphy
Allure: Kirsten Dunst
Cosmogirl: Brittany Murphy
Seventeen: Natalie Portman
Teen Vogue: Alexis Bledel
YM: Ashlee Simpson
Elle Girl: Drew Barrymore

Charlize Theron is getting October US Vogue, a pregnant Julia Roberts is getting Jan. 05 W.

Elle: Jessica Simpson (oh god. Jessica Simpson on the cover of ELLE? :: sigh :: )
Vanity Fair: Reese Witherspoon (this works well, considering the title of her new film. :: laughs :: )
Allure: Kirsten Dunst (I like Allure, normally, and I don't MIND Kirsten Dunst all that much)
Seventeen: Natalie Portman (It'll be nice to see Natalie back on a cover)
Teen Vogue: Alexis Bledel (good - I'll have to pick this up - I like Alexis Bledel)

Is Gisele the only model US Bazaar can put on their magazine cover? because it sure seems that way. (Just like Aussie HB and Elle MacPherson)

I'm really excited about the US Vogue cover. Just hope the content matches up to what we see on the outside!

no comment really about the rest of the magazines. The only two I read there are Allure and Teen Vogue and they almost never have models on their covers so I'm used to it.

thanks for posting this! ^_^

I'm not looking forward to September (school...) but I'm looking forward to buying Vogue, Bazaar, Lucky, and Vanity Fair!

Originally posted by SCBlondie@Jul 9 2004, 08:47 PM
I'm not looking forward to September (school...) but I'm looking forward to buying Vogue, Bazaar, Lucky, and Vanity Fair!
[snapback]310262[/snapback]​

DITTO! :P

Ehh is that ALL the models that are appearing on the cover of Vogue? If its the Return of the Supermodels issue shouldn't they have more models including THE Supermodels themselves (Cindy, Christy, Naomi, Linda, Kate, Claudia, etc), if not then at least have them appear in editorials. Either way Im happy to FINALLY see models on the cover of FASHION magazine, hopefully this'll keep up and we'll stop seeing those damn actresses hogging all the spots, they have their own entertainment magzine too :doh:

Linda, Naomi, Christy and Cindy are all far too old. There's no point in bringing back the supermodels of the early 90s - that wouldn't lead anywhere because they are passé. They are no longer THE supermodels - there were supermodels before them and there were supermodels after them (very few) - only the term supermodel became a buzzword in the mid 80s, probably after the severe hype surrounding the Superman movies (Janice Dickinson infamously claims that she coined the term but....that is highly debatable). Maybe we need a new word since every other girl is called supermodel these days. Hypermodel, Ubermodel, Ultramodel or Wondermodel - what do you say?

New blood is needed and this cover could in fact be the first step in a slow process towards having mostly models on the covers - the Vogue models.

well hearing that jessica simpson's on the cover of elle makes me want to chuck that in the trash before it even hits my mailbox...i guess gisele really is back with two september covers. maybe more models should take breaks

Vogue will be grand. I'm glad Gemma and Daria will be featured.

hmmm...i'm excited for the cover...but If its going to be the return of the supermodel...then why not give us people that are newer and unknown (at least to other people) like Elise, Tiiu, and Julia, along with Gemma and Daria who will be on the cover. I mean...people at least recognize Gisele, Carolyn, and Liya...at least i would think so. So why not usher in a new generation of models to the public for "The Return of The Supermodel". Thats what i would like to see. But it sure will be a breath of fresh air to see some models on the cover.

i dont get why gemma and daria are on the supermodel cover. esp daria she has become quite monotonous of late

I'm really surprised that Natalia isn't going to be featured. :huh:
But Gemma :heart:

:woot: I'm just glad Vogue bringing MODELS back (as it should be!)
Not much a fan of Gemma but :heart: :heart: Daria... Although she has alot of exposure from editorials and ads now,I don't think she has the kind of 'household name' status that Gisele has...so I think it's a great way to introduce a new generation of supermodels. On the same note, however, I agree with ykidkwis...why not feature Elise, Tiiu and Julia as well? Although perhaps not as recognized as Daria and Gemma, they do beautiful work and are great models... makes them worthy of supermodel status in my book. :blush:

I think that Vogue cover is a little based on who's getting the major deals these days. Daria scored the Gucci ads, and Gemma has the YSL one, which makes those two pretty notable, even if they've been all over lately and have been getting quite a bit of exposure. I'm glad to see Gemma on the cover, though - I love her. :smile: But I'm thinking that's why Natalia isn't there, since she's got that exclusive deal with Calvin Klein, so that's the only deal she's inked lately, I think.

Why don't they just declare the death of the Supermodel in the US and get it over with? :yuk:

The supermodels aren't back in the US, even if they all assemble dutifully for a fall issue for Vogue, or whatever magazine will have them now. Actresses and singers have taken over to such an extent that it becomes news when models are actually on the cover. That's just sad, yaknow? :doh:

OMG not since 2002 has a model been on US Vogue thats really crapolah!
I think Dewi, Julia and Eugenia shouldve been on the cover! Is Liya on there?
Glad to see Gisele back!

This is the ultimate supermodel cover!

I guess the choice will be made on behalf of who steven miesel's favourites are...so that might be why tiiu or dewi aren't on it?
As for Natalia, I don't think they wouldn't put her on the cover....I mean she is most definately considered a supermodel by American Vogue...she's always in it and they were the ones promoting her from the start with all of the feature stories and such....

For which month is this cover gonna be ??
So glad Daria and Gemma are suppose to be on it !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->