Mr Prada scolds Italian Fashion and Kate Moss

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
Italian fashion industy news and a bit of.. Kate Moss criticism

Bertelli Scolds Italian Fashion
By Amanda Kaiser
MILAN — Prada chief Patrizio Bertelli lashed out at the Italian fashion industry Tuesday, accusing it of being out of date with a fast-paced and increasingly competitive world dominated by Asian manufacturing prowess and chains such as Zara and Hennes & Mauritz. The executive also called for a massive shift in the fashion show calendar, moving the spring ready-to- wear shows to July.

During a 24-minute speech at a luxury goods conference organized by the Pambianco consultancy, Bertelli touched on a variety of subjects, criticizing Italians for working fewer hours than their foreign counterparts and rallying for government aid to small businesses. He also acknowledged fast-fashion chains' competitive muscle, consumers' declining sense of brand loyalty and banks' failure to weather companies' difficult times.

"The Italian system's answers to these problems are always the same. There's been no change. [Instead] there are these peripheral discussions about how many days of fashion shows there should be and whether Prada will show first or Prada will show first," Bertelli said.

Despite those powerful words, the executive's tone softened considerably when pushed to discuss the future of his own 1.33 billion euro, or $1.69 billion at current exchange, company. Cornered by journalists asking if he'll finally come through on a thrice-postponed public offering next year, Bertelli muttered cryptically: "We'll see when the best moment arrives."

Meanwhile, there are other corporate developments afoot at Prada. Bertelli said he will finalize a fresh financing deal with Banca Intesa by the end of the month. As reported, Banca Intesa plans to buy 5 percent of Prada as part of a 300 million euro, or $375 million, package.

Elsewhere, Prada is gearing up to buy the remainder of shoemaker Church's by the end of the year, according to a source close to the company. Private fund Equinox, which bought 55 percent of Church's from Prada in 2003, has an option to sell control of the company back to Prada. Church's just tapped former LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton Italia executive Agostino Ropolo to head up retail development for the footwear brand.

At the conference, Bertelli said Italians have failed to unite and confront a rapidly changing global market. He was particularly critical of the fashion show calendar and proposed moving up the spring women's rtw shows to July, ahead of Italy's famed monthlong vacation break in August.

"I don't understand why we have to wait until the last week of September," he said. Bertelli noted there is a four-week gap between the men's and women's fall shows in January and February, so he doesn't understand why the women's spring shows can't be closer to the men's collections in June.

Bertelli said the new schedule would help producers, suppliers, fashion companies and retailers get a competitive edge.

"I have spoken to the various Neiman Marcuses and Bergdorf Goodmans and the Americans are thrilled. If this came to pass, they could get their buying down so much earlier," he said.

"The buyers are tired," Ber­telli continued, adding that more and more Italian companies are being asked to bring their collections to New York to ease retailers' travel itineraries and speed up the order process. "All the department stores want spring-summer products in the first week of December, or even in the last week of November," Bertelli said.

Still, such drastic calendar alterations would be challenging, if not impossible, warned Mario Boselli, president of Italy's Camera Della Moda. Nonetheless, Boselli said the Camera is willing to stage a meeting with Bertelli and other designers to discuss the idea of showing in July.

"Changing an international calendar where there is a connection between New York, London, Milan and Paris is not that easy," he said.

The dates of the women's rtw shows have already been set through 2010.

Bertelli wasn't the only conference attendee to issue fighting words at the event. Boselli took a swipe at the British Fashion Council for giving Kate Moss its Model of the Year award, and at fashion houses that use her in ads.

"I find it shameful that the Bri­tish Council gave her an award. I think this is a model with a very negative influence on young people and everyone," he said on the sidelines of the conference.

Overall, bankers and executives were upbeat on business prospects.

Gregorio De Felice, chief economist at Banca Intesa, said there is increasing evidence of a slowdown in the U.S. economy, but he argued that growth in other markets, namely Japan, Europe, China and Russia, would help compensate.

Similarly, Bulgari ceo Fran­cesco Trapani said the overall luxury goods market is strong.

"The only area that is perhaps less promising is Japan because it is a mature market and companies have a large, well-distributed presence there, so growing there is more difficult," he said, adding Bulgari will get a boost in the Asian market when it opens two Tokyo stores next year, in Ginza and Omotesando.

Versace ceo Giancarlo Di Risio reiterated the corporate restructuring at the company is finished, making 2007 a growth year. Still, he couldn't be pressed for precise forecasts.

"We're optimistic, but cautiously so," he said.

from a (long) wwd.com article

My first question is this, if Milan Rtw was moved to July with the men's shows, what would happen for the week between London and Paris. It would be redicuous for a large portion of the editors and buyers and show team to go home for a week.

^Perhaps, he was suggesting moving London and Paris up as well. It would seem rather silly to just bump of Milan.

Milan fashion week needs somewhat of a change, but I'm not sure that moving/changing the fashion week is where to start. There are many other things that are more important than that such as the quality of some of the collections shown. It has lost the powerhouse location over the years. I'm sure if some of the collections were better and perhaps better venues were used (generally speaking, worth their while), they would not be "asked to bring their collections to New York to ease retailers' travel itineraries and speed up the order process." I love Italian fashion, but he's right......something must change.

I can understand moving the Fall/Winter collections, but showing Milan Women's right after the men's in June is a bit drastic...Four weeks vs. three months just doesn't add up to me.

oh plz he's insane...Miuccia didnt want to do an H&M collection, now he's screaming the other brands are not up to date...he needs to take a chill pill!

I agree the Europeans in general are not the fastest or even the hardest working people. Compared to the manufacturing prowess of the Chinese and Asians they're being pushed to the sidelines, because the billions of people on this planet aren't concerned with high fashion just stylish clothing to cover their naked bodies. As far as Kate Moss goes she's ugly and her style is just very limited and overhyped. Her face is aged and hard, she hasn't taken a decent picture in over 7 years, and she's just a dirty shame to the entire foul British population.

Patrizio, just shut up already. One other thing he forgot to mention, predatory big fashion companies that eat up smaller talents for lunch and then spit out their bones.

what does he mean by Japan has a 'mature market'? does he mean the age of consumers or that the fashion scene is already very developed there?

i guess some things he said are right. but i love kate moss! she's beautiful in such an unorthodox way.

gius said:
what does he mean by Japan has a 'mature market'? does he mean the age of consumers or that the fashion scene is already very developed there?

i think he means Japan has a 'developed' market

like so many of you here, i agree that Italian fashion is in uregent need of changes and somehow i agree with mrB. on earlier spring summer shows
80% of italian companies are already showing Donna in the showroom at the time of the Uomo collections.

The problem is that if we have the shows in June/July, then we should wave goodbye to august vacations..

personally i love how europeans are not obsessed with work-work-work
there are other things in life worth our time, we are not robots
work is fine but relaxing and having a good time is also essential to bring some quality in our life..

we are not robots :P

The executive also called for a massive shift in the fashion show calendar, moving the spring ready-to- wear shows to July.
WHAT???
"I don't understand why we have to wait until the last week of September," he said. Bertelli noted there is a four-week gap between the men's and women's fall shows in January and February, so he doesn't understand why the women's spring shows can't be closer to the men's collections in June.
ok, i get it. well....it's ridiculous, journalists and stylists and buyers have to travel more than twice a year, dear!
:wink:
"The buyers are tired,"
I am, too, tired of Milan....I mean in Milan there are soo many shows nobody got itnerested in.

"I find it shameful that the Bri­tish Council gave her an award. I think this is a model with a very negative influence on young people and everyone," he said on the sidelines of the conference.

boring and politically correct!

Hes on a total power trip ... he needs some serious b*tchsmackin'
yep!
as Wintour says "(...) they [designers] should focuse more on the artistic side. fashion is about art & commerce. but it's going wrong when commerce is everywhere and art disappeared"...sorry this is not the real quote, but this the meaning!

look at John Galliano, look his ss07 collection...that's typically the kind of guy that just killed John creativity and happyness!
(saw him on tv this week talking about his Dior ss07 collection...he was so dprssed!)

Zazie said:
Patrizio, just shut up already. One other thing he forgot to mention, predatory big fashion companies that eat up smaller talents for lunch and then spit out their bones.

^exactly. i seriously don't like this man, and he's so full of himself....

Lena said:
The problem is that if we have the shows in June/July, then we should wave goodbye to august vacations..

personally i love how europeans are not obsessed with work-work-work
there are other things in life worth our time, we are not robots
work is fine but relaxing and having a good time is also essential to bring some quality in our life..

we are not robots :P

While I agree that you do need your vacations, it's not very "flexible" to practically shut down an entire country for a month... But of course, there's a reason why people want to vacation at that time, because it's the hottest period of the year and they want to get away from the city...

But perhaps the thinking is that if the shows were earlier, orders and planning could be finalised during vacation times so that they could start working full speed right after vacations?

Wow, now we've reached a new point in fashion stupidity!
This men is... disgusting. Even if I don't like them, at least François Pinault and Bernard Arnault respect their brands (and the workers... :rolleyes: )
He's complaining about his italian factories, but if I remember well, the Prada factories are really crap, that was why Jil Sander decided to leave (when he wanted her to close her german workshops)

Anyway I hope some day people will be clever anough to stop buying these cheap nylon things w/ "Prada Milano" written on it...
Prada is just like Zara now. Although more expensive. Hot cakes to sell! B)

And yes BerlinRocks,n I assume you have seen Habillées pour l'Ete with Mademoiselle Agnes!
The Dior chairman (Arnault's friend) decided that Dior was going to be someting more important (which is stupid because they already have 200 stores but...). They want a new Louis Vuitton. So.... logoed accessoiries, and easy-to-wear ready-to-wear. Galliano seemed indeed really sad. I see a bad future for Christian Dior (a worst one than before, when quality was already going down and down)

And yes, Wintour said that it had become too commercial, and that designers don't have to think nowadays

^lol. great someone else watch it. i wanted to videotape it. but i didn't know it was "en clair" on saturday. i watched it on tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->