Mugler's Nicola Formichetti : "Old (designers) should just be old and go away"

^ And what, precisely, does her supposedly being the reason for him getting the Mugler job have to do with the stupid comments he made in this interview? I can't say it enough, but this particular issue, this discussion, has nothing at all to do with Lady Gaga; not her music, not her hype, not even her clothes. We're not here discussing why he's working as creative director of Mugler (and I do love how people constantly like to point out that he's not a designer as if that's what he was hired to be). We're here discussing an asinine comment that he made in regards to old people and the perception that his ego is bigger than it should be for that comment to have ever left his mouth.

There are people, and I'm not referring to you Mutterlien, who seem incapable of discussing anything pertaining to Mugler or Formichetti without bringing the discussion back to how much they can't stand Lady Gaga because she's a sham and a phony and a rip-off artist.

No offense, but if we were only talking about the bold-ed part replying and bringing up the comments about her and how she shouldn't be discussed will only perpetuate it even more and more (and it has).

Last edited by a moderator:
^ So what, just sit back and watch it continue instead of making my feelings known? I've ignored it on more than one occasion when the topic of Mugler comes up. Frankly it just seemed too ridiculous to let it go without comment this time around.

^ And what, precisely, does her supposedly being the reason for him getting the Mugler job have to do with the stupid comments he made in this interview? I can't say it enough, but this particular issue, this discussion, has nothing at all to do with Lady Gaga; not her music, not her hype, not even her clothes. We're not here discussing why he's working as creative director of Mugler (and I do love how people constantly like to point out that he's not a designer as if that's what he was hired to be). We're here discussing an asinine comment that he made in regards to old people and the perception that his ego is bigger than it should be for that comment to have ever left his mouth.

There are people, and I'm not referring to you Mutterlien, who seem incapable of discussing anything pertaining to Mugler or Formichetti without bringing the discussion back to how much they can't stand Lady Gaga because she's a sham and a phony and a rip-off artist.

I hear what you're saying but personally I find the shallowness in Gaga's music to be coming from the same well of inspirations and motivations as the shallowness in Formichetti's vision. They were not always so intertwined, but they are now. Gaga is as much about her look as she is about her music. Formichetti makes her look. That look is what got him his job at Mugler and it's what he seems to design into. You could almost say that Formichetti's Mugler is actually an interpretation and spin off of the Gaga phenomenon. In my mind, they are one and the same. I don't think Gaga or Formichetti would disagree with that assertion.

I can appreciate their need to question that status quo, they are just only doing a poor job at it. I'm not sure they have the guts to truly be subversive. Formichetti and Gaga can only benefit from the status quo, in fact they already have.

^ Don't get me wrong, I can understand discussing her in relation to his work (and frankly, her styling is the thing I like least about her lately, so I guess it stands to reason that I'm not a huge Formichetti fan). I just can't understand trashing her because he made an obnoxious remark or because he is, potentially, an ***.

and the worst part he believes in his own hype ? :ninja:
his so called fashion career will tank faster than a pig's underbelly

He, along with Gaga, and their "creative director" Laurieanne Gibson, have fed their own egos and believed their own hype to such maniacal levels, all the while blatantly stealing from true artists and visionaries. /quote]

Remember when Formichetti stole hussain chalayan's bubble dress design and called it a "haus of gaga" design?

of course more than a year later gaga was put on the cover of rolling stone wearing the real chalayan bubble dress and fully credited. :innocent:

i wonder if formichetti wants chalayan to "get out of the way".

credit getty/splash news

Attachments

• cha.jpg
    cha.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 15
[FONT=&quot]his interview is included alongside other industry favourites Victoria Beckham, Alexander Wang and Valentino creative directors Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli.[/FONT]

This represents the lowest of 'designers' (sans alexander wang)

Oh, please keep Wang in the lowest list.

To me, Formichetti is a nothing but a lucky guy. Yes, he's a good stylist, but nothing else. I don't think he really has what it takes to make a long lasting career, at least not as a fashion designer, so he shouldn't be talking all that ****. Because, honestly, I believe that if it wasn't for Gaga, he wouldn't be where he is now. And he's not as great as to be forgiven if he says something "controversial".

I mean, just look at Lagerfeld, or Valentino, Armani, even Cavalli. They are old people and they have made a name of themselves, they have really contributed to fashion and even to history and, except for Valentino, they are not going away any time soon.

This man needs to shut his mouth.

This makes no sense coming from him, not to sound morbid but he sounds like a rich kid who wants his parents to die so he can get a chance to run the business that he will INHERIT as oppose to build it himself. What difference does it make to him if the old guys are still in the game, I can understand if he was an acclaimed independent designer who was trying get the editors and investors attention, but in his case the old guy, Mugler, did step aside and now he is installed in Mugler's company and on top of that he has the patronage of one of the biggest music and fashion stars in the world, so nothing is stopping Formichetti from getting started on his mission to "destroy [fashion] and start again and keep it fresh."

I find it funny that one of his main interests is keeping fresh, but yet Lady Gaga is like a pot luck of recycled ideas.

^ In all fairness, freshness and newness are two entirely different things where fashion, music and art are concerned.

[FONT=&quot]'It's not about being in the industry for ten years anymore: it's about good ideas.' [/FONT][FONT=&quot]He told Elle[/FONT]
he's so full of shizzzzzz...

omg! ten years? that's nothing really, karl has been around for more than fifty...

I wish he had said this at the time he was still doing decent stuff at Dazed and I wish he had taken this on the right people, because I do think age starts to affect some people's conception of fashion/beauty, look at all these people heading the biggest magazines with their recycled crap and prehistoric articles for women, not even my grandma would be impressed.
I have never seen what he does at Mugler but I know what he does with that Lady Gaga singer (who for some reason, really gets underage kids and old people crazy) and I'm not interested, it's so passé, ha.

I wish he had said this at the time he was still doing decent stuff at Dazed and I wish he had taken this on the right people, because I do think age starts to affect some people's conception of fashion/beauty, look at all these people heading the biggest magazines with their recycled crap and prehistoric articles for women, not even my grandma would be impressed.

I'm not sure if that's exactly what he had in mind, but you make a good point. Time to take an early pension, Glenda.

Some of Gaga's styling team like Charlie leMindu (who I met in person and is incredibly sweet) and Anna Trevelyan should get off the Lady Gaga train because it's about to run out soon. She pretty much stole most of her style from them anyway.

i don't know if the two named individuals are exactly 'riding the lady gaga' train- both have major client lists & consult for other individuals. there work doesn't end with lady gaga. B)

never mind the cat claws, look out for the venom fangs.

i dunno....to say that about an older generation and then speak about elitism.....slightly hypocritical of him,i must say. in fact,there are a lot of [terrible] contradictions with those statements. to be honest,i used to be a big fan of his vision but i feel as though as he's become more and more popular the more deluded he's become with his own fame and it's affected and continues to affect his work. somebody else used a very operative word to describe the work he's doing of late....novelty. i cannot agree with that more.

anyway,that whole hybrid creature collaboration has become so tedious to me. if he were really interested being 'anti' he would bring about more clever ideas than gluing a bunch of plastic surgery breast inserts onto a dominatrix costume.

i don't know if the two named individuals are exactly 'riding the lady gaga' train- both have major client lists & consult for other individuals. there work doesn't end with lady gaga. B)

I do know that. What I meant was that they seem to be instrumental for building her look and should get more credit for it. ANYWAY the older generation has its place but so does the newer one. It's all about balance. You need both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dezzar
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->