Mugler's Nicola Formichetti : "Old (designers) should just be old and go away"

i think there is a difference between a good stylist and a good media personality...
and rarely is a person both...

we see the greatest stylists in the world staying out of the limelight and quietly going about the business of being brilliant on a daily basis...

whilst very mediocre pseudo-stylists jump in front of every camera and microphone they can find...

the former are artists...
the latter are attention seekers and money grabbers...

i think nicola is trying to be both...
but i am not sure that's even possible...
:ermm:...

you know that term- dance like no one's watching...
well---
i think the same goes for styling...
you have to style as if no one's watching...
you need to make it the best it can be for yourself...
and then people will take notice it it's really good..
but screaming and waving your arms around going 'hey, look at me'...
well- that only gets a glance from most people...
if you want people to really pay attention...
you should focus inward rather than outward...

imho...

Should we discuss this ? I mean, come on, look at who said that...

I always despised the man, and I will certainly not stop after reading such cr$ps... This guy is not talented, he's never been. Can we call "talent" stealing young designers's pieces and accumulating them on somebody ? I always called Gaga the "hanger", not the singer. She wears so much clothes in one week of promotion, it's disgusting. I so much respect designers who bound with their muses like Haider/Tilda, Ghesquière/Gainsbourg and so.

He's just into this system of (very) fast fashion : we see, we want, we grab, we throw away. So those so called " Gaga designers" get their 15 minutes of fame and then "bye". How can you be so disrespectuous towards designers such as Alaia or Elbaz.

And his "stylism" is boring, predictable and above all tacky. I never got thrills by looking at some editos where he was the stylist. Still, it's pretty ironic, because in 10 years he'll be remembered as the stupid guy who allowed a brainless copycat to wear a dress made of fresh meat in a starving world.

i think there is a difference between a good stylist and a good media personality...

we see the greatest stylists in the world staying out of the limelight and quietly going about the business of being brilliant on a daily basis...

whilst very mediocre pseudo-stylists jump in front of every camera and microphone they can find...

i think nicola is trying to be both...
but i am not sure that's even possible...
:ermm:...

you know that term- dance like no one's watching...
well---
i think the same goes for styling...
you have to style as if no one's watching...
you need to make it the best it can be for yourself...
and then people will take notice it it's really good..
but screaming and waving your arms around going 'hey, look at me'...
well- that only gets a glance from most people...
if you want people to really pay attention...
you should focus inward rather than outward...

imho...

Wanted to give you karma for this but I have to spread it around, but I want to say this is one of the best things I've read in awhile about fashion. Thank you for sharing.

I hope God grants "old" designers immortality because there hasn't been an impressive new designer in mainstream fashion for years and years, with the exception of very few.

Obviously I can't take what Nicola said seriously because he's quite literally the last person who should be speaking.

Nicola Formichettiis is launching his own namesake line next year apparently.

i wonder who is bankrolling it...

maybe he wants to be "controversial" because he thinks it will help hype up the line for next year.

^ Yeah, I read that too. I wanted to start a thread, but he didn't deserve it.

Nicola Formichetti is starting to give Karl Lagerfeld a run for his money in the how-many-projects-can-I-simultaneously-take-on game. Formichetti, who currently acts as Lady Gaga's stylist, Mugler's creative director, and fashion director for both Uniqlo and Vogue Hommes Japan, recently revealed: "I’m launching my own brand next year." Formichetti, who is planning "Nicola's," a pop-up store in Manhattan to coincide with New York Fashion Week (located at 57 Walker Street from Sept. 8–21), promises that the store will showcase "a sneak preview of what’s coming up in the future" for his namesake brand. [Milk Made]
fashionologie

He is getting sucked into his own hype. He can't even conceive and realise his own ideas for Mugler let alone for his own eponymous label. I'll let the sales number speak for themselves and seal his fate.

After reading his statements again the whole thing just reeks with dirty politics. He's obviously doing it for attention, but more importantly he's doing it to compromise the reputation of the industry's long established figures. I mean just look at the stupidity of these accusations:

I think old people should just be old and go away

Me and Gaga, our motto is 'f*** fashion' because we love it so much we want to destroy it and start again and keep it fresh

I doubt he even believes this piss. It's like the old saying "Throw dirt at the wall and hope it sticks". He's hurling random unsanitary comments and hoping one or two of them will actually gain enough credibility to debunk reputations of others and gain him "controversy".

Last edited by a moderator:
this is the first post i've read in a long time since my hiatus (not that i post much to begin with), and i have never been so reviled by an individual such as Formichetti before. He just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Is this what this generation's designers have to worry about? a liability such as him??? Insta-fame is as bad as instant coffee.

/2 cents

He just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Is this what this generation's designers have to worry about? a liability such as him??? Insta-fame is as bad as instant coffee.

/2 cents

Yeah but sometimes you just need to take a hit?

Connoisseurism, ''taste'', is quite a bourgoise concern? Wasn't it Marc Jacobs was saying there's no such thing as 'good taste'?

Perhaps the point about Formichetti is, whilst you might think you want to spit him out, yet he is in your mouth? All of you detractors - by definition - you woz 'ere? Perhaps we all had nothing better to talk about..

I predict a ..

And you think Formichetti is providing those "new ideas"? Honestly?

You think Formichetti's salary isn't coming out of a marketing budget set up by the suits to push the sales of perfume?

You don't think that Formichetti's involvement with Mugler is the direct product of all the convolution that you speak of in the industry?

Fashion DOES need change and it DOES need new ideas and will get neither with this Mugler mess.

Yes of course it's all part of a big silly 'look at me' game. But what else is there any more? If you're in a culture industry sector field how do you not play that game? Of course what masquerades as a love game turns out to be a war game. You're all playing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwcnmsqnnzI&NR=1

All of you guys here are so right. I'm not a big fan of his work at all. Nothing he's doing is original at all. There are times I feel all he's doing is reproducing Mugler's original ideas anyway. I wish Mugler himself would come back to his own company. I'm not sure if he owns it or not. Can anyone shed light on that at all here?

Thierry Mugler still owns licenses to his perfume and cosmetics (not sure how much of it though). He was bought out of his clothing lines by Clarins hence why he stopped designing and now he just works on the ad campaigns and marketing for his perfumes.

"i think there is a difference between a good stylist and a good media personality...

Agreed!

Lookie what was posted yesterday at TheCut (NewYork mag)

Nicola Formichetti on Looking Short Next to Lady Gaga, Finding New Talent, His Pop-up Shop, and More

a_250x375.jpg
Formichetti and Gaga at the Mugler women's runway show in March. Photo: Francois Durand/Getty Images

On September 8, the first day of New York Fashion Week, Mugler creative director and stylist to Lady Gaga Nicola Formichetti opens his first pop-up shop in Tribeca. He'll sell everything from his own jewelry line to tee shirts and hoodies to iPad and iPhone cases — all of which he promises will be affordable. You can read a bit about the shop and see the architect's rendering of it in this week's issue of New York. Here's more from our conversation with Formichetti and one of the shop's architects, Mark Foster Gage of Gage/Clemenceau.
So are you two best friends now?
Mark Foster Gage: Yes, best friends.
Nicola Formichetti: I don’t know how many proposals Boffo [the nonprofit that organizes the pop-up series] gave me — lots of them, and then it was just like, that was it. I don’t think I went through your proposal, I just liked the impact. I couldn’t really understand what it was [based on the rendering], and that was kind of it.
MFG: Did you get the best architects in the world in there?
I love how you're really shameless about this, Mark.
NF: Yeah, they were the best for me. I hope people come, do you think people will come?
Of course! You're really worried about that? Like, when you dress Lady Gaga, do you think no one’s going to look at her?
NF: Oh my god, I’m gonna call everyone, my friends, and make sure [they come].
In the model of the shop you have mirrored coffins with a paper doll inside.
MFG: This is Lady Gaga. Nicola’s showing a bunch of her stuff in the exhibition, so the idea is he could put a mannequin in this coffin thing and the base lights up. So the coffins are actually kind of helping to illuminate the whole space.
NF: Yeah, we’ll put some type of mannequin inside — sometimes, you know, Rico inside.
You’re going to make him sit in the coffin all day? Like, “touch Rico day” at the shop?
NF: No, he’ll want to do that, for sure. We should have maybe like things that you can flip open, little holes, so you can touch the things inside.
But the main focus of the space will be an installation in the back of the store, right?
MFG: That could be some fabulous outfit, it could be — he was talking about hiring a tattoo artist to sit back there, and hanging some sort of canopy over them. But that’s going to change.
NF: We’re going to create a tattoo parlor with real tattoos and a cool little design, so you can only get this tattoo done with the design. So you’re branded for life. Maybe I should do a couple designs?
You're going to be working in the shop during Fashion Week. Are you going to any shows?
NF: No. I don’t really go to any shows other than like young designers you know I might go to, like, Richard Chai — you know, my friends. But I’ve never actually been to a big show in New York.
So are you planning to open a permanent store?
NF: I’d love to love love love to. Because that’s how I started in fashion—working in a store
How do you find young designers?
NF: Most of the young designers that I know are from London and Europe. I have a big you know team there and they’re always looking for new people and it’s great for Gaga — she’s always supporting young designers. But now that I’ve moved here, and I’ve been here for a year and a half I just find people through friends or through blogs or Tumblr or Twitter. Some people send me stuff and then I go, wow, amazing.
People must send you a lot of stuff.
NF: I check everything. My e-mail address is on my website, I check all my twitter messages — everything.
That’s very rare though for someone as high up as you are in this industry.
NF: It takes one second.
Even so, a lot of people pass things through their assistants.
NF: Man, I know…
Or just ignore ignore people.
NF: People think that someone else does it. Like, I do everything. So that’s how I I find people — mostly digitally. I might see an interesting thing on a fashion blog and I check the credits and I Google it and it goes straight to the person.
Is there anyone up and coming you’re really into right now?
NF: I love that Sally LaPointe, I think she’s doing something really fresh. You didn’t really find in New York before that kind of structure, which is a little extreme. Obviously I think it’s perfect for Gaga. I don’t really like when designers go crazy for the sake of it, like you see sometimes in London.
So how can you be in New York? Shouldn’t you be working on your Mugler show?
NF: Yeah I was in Europe last week. We’re going to do something crazy. I’m excited — something quite different from what we’ve done last season. I love it, because after the show, I was like oh my god, what am I going to do next?
Flats. Flats would be new for you.
NF: Yeah. [Laughs]
How high were Gaga's shoes at the CFDA awards anyway? I'm tall and she was towering over me.
NF: That’s like the normal one that she wears always, every day. How many inches? I have no idea.
You came up to like her hip or something.
NF: Everyone was like, oh Nicola is so small — he must be so small because he’s half-Japanese. It’s true even at the Mugler show, when we came out at the end together she’s that tall, and people say, "Oh Nicola is so cute — a little panda."
She's making you look short, you see? Or you're making yourself look short by dressing her like that.
MFG: When we were doing the coffins we had to shrink them down because we didn’t realize how short she was.
But you have to accommodate for the shoes, no?
MFG: Well yeah that’s the... I don’t know. We have to brave that.
Nicola, you've gotten some backlash recently over some things you've been quoted as saying to reporters.
NF: I don’t hate anyone. I know at the beginning I was [frustrated by the backlash]. I have great followers. My friends, the people I respect, they always just said just do your thing. It’s funny Beth Ditto just texted me — she was like, "I love you I love you."
Because people were saying nasty things about you?
NF: Yeah, that I hate fat people. I don't hate anyone.
You’re friends with Beth Ditto?
NF: Yeah. I just did a shoot with her,
So Mark was nervous about what to wear today — I said have Nicola style you.
NF: Yeah but I’m not really good at telling people what to wear on a daily basis.
You mean, every day people who aren't Lady Gaga?
NF: Like, my friends and stuff like.
You're a stylist so people must ask you a lot.
NF: Yeah, it really depends where you go. It really depends what day, what season.
So if I was like should I cut my hair? You wouldn’t know what to tell me.
NF: No.
Related: T-Shirts Times Infinity

I LOVELOVELOVELOVE lady gaga. and i liked some of the mugler show, but he seems like he's just depending on gaga. he cant live up to Thierry by any sense of means. its annoying how he's always using her. in his W interview it was ALL about gaga. He's trying to get his fifteen minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dezzar
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->